6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dorman Gaskets Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:16 PM
KINGDAR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dorman Gaskets Failure

Ok, I'm elbows deep into the top of the motor again replacing the new (9 mo. ago) Dorman oil cooler w/ an oem cooler from ford. Question, last time in there I did the STC upgrade under the pump cover and I cant remember if it was an aftermarket or ford kit. If it was available aftermarket I probably tried to save money and went with the cheaper one cause "parts is parts" (yes I have learned my lesson). I'm worried that the gaskets in the pump cover will do what the oil cooler gaskets from Dorman are/have done, and that's generally make a farce of all my hard work and try and ruin my motor. Any one have any enlightenment on this subject? And as always YOU all and FTE Rocks!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KINGDAR
Ok, I'm elbows deep into the top of the motor again replacing the new (9 mo. ago) Dorman oil cooler w/ an oem cooler from ford. Question, last time in there I did the STC upgrade under the pump cover and I cant remember if it was an aftermarket or ford kit. If it was available aftermarket I probably tried to save money and went with the cheaper one cause "parts is parts" (yes I have learned my lesson). I'm worried that the gaskets in the pump cover will do what the oil cooler gaskets from Dorman are/have done, and that's generally make a farce of all my hard work and try and ruin my motor. Any one have any enlightenment on this subject? And as always YOU all and FTE Rocks!
I'm not sure if there is an aftermarket STC fitting but if you're in doubt I would get the kit from ford then you will know its right.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Never heard of an aftermarket STC kit. Even the kit from Ford is affordable @ $45-60.

Just check the IPR screen for debris.

Josh

Old 04-28-2014, 10:29 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
You take any pictures of the failed gaskets?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:01 AM
KINGDAR
Senior User
Cool

Just got the intake off and the housing gasket looks fine. The o ring where the coolant comes thru didn't look right and didn't seem to be doing its job keeping the fluids apart. I have been getting massive amounts of oil in my degas bottle and oil on the ground wherever I parked. All that started 3 days after I did the EGR, STC, OIL COOLER, REBUILT THE TURBO (TWICE) & PUT A KIT IN EACH INJECTOR, and I got to say that the time and effort was well worth it. The old tired girl (210,000mi) acted like she had some fresh stallions in her. I was fairly impressed with myself and the truck. FTE ROCKS, ROCKS, ROCKS. Then I saw a little oil in the degas bottle that got progressively worse and more. Now when I did my EGR Delete I welded up the stock cooler and re installed it. Please correct me if I'm wrong but all that does is stop the hot exhaust from going thru the cooler and I've still got coolant trying to cool the oil down. when I welded plugs and washers in both ends of the EGR isn't that dead heading the flow of coolant at the EGR? The valley of the reservoir had nothing in it but clean uncontaminated oil that goes thru the little hole under the screen to the ICP? (which by the way had no gasket particles on it at all.) Now my unprofessional diagnostics of the problem ( ok ok my guess) is that the oil is getting past the o ring under the cooler cover that has the little cover w/ 2 screws that can be viewed w/out pulling the cover off. Now that it is light out I'm going to go and clean it all up and have another look. Anyone got any thoughts, theories, or facts on what direction to go from here please chime. This forum is the only thing from keeping this truck from taking a short jump off a long, loong, looong deep.....whoa I think I just threatened my truck. Thanks to all that have helped in the past with tips tricks knowledge and patience. Here we go again.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:31 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
While its apart, I would go ahead and replace the Dorman OC with an OEM unit. Then start cleaning.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Now when I did my EGR Delete I welded up the stock cooler and re installed it. Please correct me if I'm wrong but all that does is stop the hot exhaust from going thru the cooler and I've still got coolant trying to cool the oil down. when I welded plugs and washers in both ends of the EGR isn't that dead heading the flow of coolant at the EGR? The valley of the reservoir had nothing in it but clean uncontaminated oil that goes thru the little hole under the screen to the ICP? (which by the way had no gasket particles on it at all.) Now my unprofessional diagnostics of the problem ( ok ok my guess) is that the oil is getting past the o ring under the cooler cover that has the little cover w/ 2 screws that can be viewed w/out pulling the cover off. Now that it is light out I'm going to go and clean it all up and have another look.
You welded the exhaust gas inlet/outlet on the EGR cooler - right?
IF you welded the coolant passages you have defeated your oil cooler, since without COOLANT flowing through the OIL & EGR coolers your cooking your coolant in the oil/egr coolers..

Most EGR Delete kits replace the EGR cooler with a 'J-tube' which keeps the coolant flowing through the oil cooler.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 AM
KINGDAR
Senior User
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
You welded the exhaust gas inlet/outlet on the EGR cooler - right?
IF you welded the coolant passages you have defeated your oil cooler, since without COOLANT flowing through the OIL & EGR coolers your cooking your coolant in the oil/egr coolers..

Most EGR Delete kits replace the EGR cooler with a 'J-tube' which keeps the coolant flowing through the oil cooler.
Please forgive my ignorance or lack of understanding. Yes I welded freeze plugs and washers into each end of the EGR COOLER, 1 where the up pipe connects at the back of the motor, and one where it connects under the intake manifold. DO I NEED TO DRILL THIS ONE OUT OR HAVE I DONE THIS CORRECTLY? I'm headin out to put it all back together now, but I think I'll wait for conformation first. I really hate learning the hard way.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:52 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Please forgive my ignorance or lack of understanding. Yes I welded freeze plugs and washers into each end of the EGR COOLER, 1 where the up pipe connects at the back of the motor, and one where it connects under the intake manifold. DO I NEED TO DRILL THIS ONE OUT OR HAVE I DONE THIS CORRECTLY? I'm headin out to put it all back together now, but I think I'll wait for conformation first. I really hate learning the hard way.
Sounds like you did it right.
The plugs must be welded in both ends of exhaust inlet and outlet.
You didnt weld plugs in the coolant passages did you?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:49 AM
KINGDAR
Senior User
No just the ends, I really hate to ask or say this and again forgive my ignorance, I'm not really sure where the coolant passages are. Pretty sure the new little $53.00 3" blue hose connects it from the little pipe coming off the EGR cooler and goes to the top of the Oil cooler? I'm also thinking that this is where oil was getting by the o rings and into the coolant? Or am I on another planet?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:54 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
No just the ends, I really hate to ask or say this and again forgive my ignorance, I'm not really sure where the coolant passages are. Pretty sure the new little $53.00 3" blue hose connects it from the little pipe coming off the EGR cooler and goes to the top of the Oil cooler? I'm also thinking that this is where oil was getting by the o rings and into the coolant? Or am I on another planet?
That blue hose is for the coolant passage.
I can't really speculate where the oil was entering, it could have been from anywhere it the area. If you found a definite bad seal, o ring, or gasket then it would be easier. It could have even been a bad OC core.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:57 PM
KINGDAR
Senior User
Yea ,I'm pretty sure that I did find the culprit an O ring, And like I said earlier It started 3 days or so after being installed by me so its either human error? or mechanical failure? I'm going to go with the latter because it's human nature? I really do try my best at all repairs that I do to my truck including turning down offers from my buddies that want to help, they don't seem to answer the call at 2:00 am if I happen to be 100 miles from home on the side of the road,...it's snowing,.....battery's are getting weak from, the flashers....here comes the plow. Ok I've been procrastinating all morning, I'm going to go finish this job that I told the wife would be done in 4-5 hrs.........3 days ago. Thanks for your help guys, I'm going to post a slew of pic's when I'm done.