Pin Striping Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 11:37 PM
elwhoppo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pin Striping Removal

Hey All,

I really would like to do something different with my 1988 Bronco II exterior.

What I have planned, requires the removal of the existing original pin stripes. I've kept after this thing pretty well, so the existing paint job, is still really good.

I haven't a clue about how to go about getting the old stripes off, and not damaging the paint.

Any tips on a product or whatevers, that I can get to do the job relatively ease, would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:52 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Pin Striping Removal

I have used a razor blade and that works really good...but you have to have an extremely steady hand and patients like no other. if you can get just a small piece up then you can get adhesive remover behind the stripping and it will slowly...very slowly start pulling up. take your time

I hope you realize though that the paint behind the stripping will not be faded so it will still look like you have them on just a different color...it could look really good
-Jason-

Old 08-04-2003, 09:43 PM
tombob
Senior User
Pin Striping Removal

I had a similar dilemma. my solution was to take a scraper that holds a single edge razor blad--find 'em at a paint store. VERY carefully, I determined I could ease the blade under the pinstripe and by experimenting with angles--I think I ended up at about a 5-8 degree angle--I was able to scrape the pinstripes off my 23 year old Bronco. THAT was the easy part. Getting rid of the residual, hardened adhesive was a PIA. I used acetone and LOTS of elbow grease. Use a chemically resistant glove to do this and have planty of clean rags.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2003, 08:47 AM
03XLTFX4
New User
Pin Striping Removal

I usually use a hair dryer to heat the stripe and it pulls off with
your fingers. I haven't tried it on a stripe that has been on
since '88, but it worked great on a '94 Ranger a while back.
Try to heat the end and pick it off the paint with a fingernail,
then slowly heat down the stripe as you pull. Might not
work for a stripe that old, but I'd rather try that before I
took a razor to it.

Old 08-05-2003, 03:04 PM
tombob
Senior User
Pin Striping Removal

It DOESN"T work on an old stripe. I tried it before I used the razor blade. I found heating the stripe did help when used with the razor blade.

Old 08-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Cujo31
Junior User
Pin Striping Removal

I have found that claybar will do the trick but you are wasting the clay WD40 will do it as well without stripping paint, just wash afterwards. 3M makes an adhesive remover that if I am correct is safe on paints, but again I would wash afterwards.

Cujo

Old 08-05-2003, 03:36 PM
elwhoppo
Senior User
Pin Striping Removal

Hmmmmm....Razor Blade, I must have about 75 blades for my utility knifes, but I am a little bit worried about doing more damage than good.

The "Original" pin stripes on my Bronco II, that I want to remove, are installed front to rear, and around the back hatch, two stripes, a 1/4" and a 1/2", and they are on a slightly convex>> ) area of the car, that runs from head light, along the sides, just below the windows. Around the back hatch the surface is flat, and maybe workable.

The heat thing sounds like a good thing, but seems to be only 50% of the removal solution.

I'll probably give the heat, and razor blade thing a chance, but I'm going to a less noticeable place to test it first, and stopping at the first sight of burgandy paint being removed.

I should have considered removing them way before now, they have been on there since 1988.

And, maybe some more suggestions will also come in.

Thanks Guy's