Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Trans coolers for E40D

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:18 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Aftermarket Trans coolers for E40D

Back when I had my '97 F-250 7.3 PSD, I purchased this cooler but never installed. Although it is about 10 yrs old, it is brand new in the box.

Is this technology still current or are there better coolers?
Are these type of aftermarket coolers recommended for the E40D?

I run my truck in a HOT part of SoCal. I will be towing a travel trailer, other times a 3500# boat, and in future, perhaps an over head camper with boat in tow.
Does my truck have an oem trans cooler? My manual shows a tube that is called a cooler?

The cooler pictured is the all aluminum model (#LPD-4739)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-20-2014, 05:54 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know the answer to your question but if I had that, I'd use it. It can't hurt. Looks like a good one to me

Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i just moved mine down (still wet as you can see from removing the lines) down from behind the grill cus i just installed an intercooler.
great setups.

Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Do the '92 460 with E40D have an oem trans cooler? How efficient is it? I've heard of oem engne oil cooler problems, but nothing I searched came up with oem trans coolers, good or bad?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:35 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look through the grille and see if there is one. All automatics have one internal to the radiator, whether or not there is an additional external one varies. Trans coolers are typically problem free.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:38 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
A lot of the obstacles 250-350 trucks had trans coolers. The factory coolers are small and that cooler would be a huge improvement. Where in So Cal are you.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:28 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That is a stacked-plate type cooler, it's current technology as opposed to this tube & fin style cooler:

Imperial Econo-Kool® Transmission Oil Cooler 242010: Upgrade with the best Transmission Cooler(Add-On,Not O.E.) at Advance Auto Parts

The stacked plate design has more surface area for cooling. I'd go ahead and install it along with a trans temp gauge with the sensor in the pan if you're concerned about temperature (as every auto trans owner should be).

I plan on removing my radiator cooler and just running a big external plate cooler.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts
Way back when I bought my 91 Bronco (in 1993) I was told the E4OD needed extra cooling and I should add a cooler. I can't remember who told me but I was cautioned not to use the tube-and-fin type but to be sure to get the kind you have with the stacked plates. I bought the biggest one they had (I think it's a TransCool brand) and installed it. That E4OD trans went 250K miles and was still working when I pulled it out to do my diesel conversion. I still have the cooler but I don't have any trucks with auto trans now.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 AM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Every once in a while I look for a trans cooler to replace the additional one I have. The reason why I don't like the one I have now is it uses rubber hoses to connect and the clamps often leak. I'd like to find a small one (maybe 12" x 12" like the one I have now) that has fittings on it so I can get some lines made and screw on there. I thought about seeing if I could solder some sort of nipple on the inlet and outlet of an aftermarket one but I am not sure how much money I'd waste doing that.

I also had the idea to replace the lines to and from the trans with something that has a larger diameter, haven't done that yet though. If I do this I want to have some lines made but I am not sure what ones will be flexible and better than what I have now for cooling. I am sure the steel lines provide some cooling effect as the fluid runs in them but all the flexible lines that I know of have some sort of insulation on them.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:21 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Crewcabber
A lot of the obstacles 250-350 trucks had trans coolers. The factory coolers are small and that cooler would be a huge improvement. Where in So Cal are you.

What do you mean by obstacles?
I live in the Inland Empire near Hemet

Old 04-21-2014, 09:28 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by dixie460
I'd go ahead and install it along with a trans temp gauge with the sensor in the pan if you're concerned about temperature (as every auto trans owner should be)
I've read about install sending unit in inspection port but not directly into pan. That would require a fitting installed into pan, correct?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler
What do you mean by obstacles?
I live in the Inland Empire near Hemet
He meant OBS trucks. Probably speech to text on phone or auto correct jumbled it up.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
thanks for the clarification. I don't see a trans cooler in front of my AC condenser. Is this where it would be located?

Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the clarification. I don't see a trans cooler in front of my AC condenser. Is this where it would be located?
Yeah it would be bolted to the radiator core support.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've read about install sending unit in inspection port but not directly into pan. That would require a fitting installed into pan, correct?
Yes, or you could do the inspection port because that should be the discharge side of the pump. This will get you close to pan temperature.

There are two useful places to measure temperature, depending on what you want to know. You can measure at the feed line to the cooler, which would get you the highest peak temperatures of your fluid as opposed to the temp in the trans itself, since this oil is leaving the torque converter after having already circulated thru the trans (the TC will heat it up further, so temps will read higher than what they actually are inside the trans)...

Or you could measure in the pan or inspection port, this is transmission operating temperature. It's where Ford takes the measurement at (sensor in the pan for the PCM) and gives an idea of what's really going on. I have done it both ways and prefer the pan.

Before you ask me how I mounted my sensor... I have an OBDII truck so my SGII (mounted in dash) just reads it out from the PCM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Trans coolers for E40D