Hey All

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Ninja380
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey All

Hi all,

I joined to get more info about f trucks.

Im looking for a 1999-2003 (or more in aus) f 250 4x4

I would like to set up for 4x4 bush and beach camping (rarely beach). and eventually a camper or caravan (currently box trailer)

What I do already know, they are awesome! and i fit it them. And Dont buy for fuel economy.

My requirements are 4x4, room for baby, auto preferred,

I guess id like to know, if they have 200,000kms are they really worth $40-$60k+ ??

and if they have these sorts of kms, what issues may arise or what routine maintenance would be required?

As well as any common components, Ive read gear boxed go around 200- 250 (but depends on use)

What sort of mods are advantages?

can anyone compare these to a new ford ranger as for driving and comfort, handling etc (reason they are close in price)

I had a look at this onehttp:// http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/F...6663fca&_uhb=1

Didnt test drive, but the guy in the caryard 'had things to do'

Old 04-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Welcome mate,200,000 is nothing for the 7.3,its only just broken in
The only weak link we have is the tranny,not the one brian is thinking of but the one in our trucks..

Ftrucks are a good price atm compared to when I bought mine early 2010.
Their very easy to look after...You've come to the right place for help,when I first bought my Ftruck I knew nothing about em,but what ive learnt from this sight is unbelievable,i even got game enough last year to pull my injectors out and replace the injector cups

as far as mods,well their like drugs,once you start you cant stop,your wife is your only way out of your addiction....Be Warned

Have a look at clay's site he's our main man with mods,parts and so on,he's top bloke will go out of his way too set you straight with what you want to do. Ford - 99-03 Super Duty 7.3L - Riffraff Diesel Performance

A mate of mine bought a new ranger last year,nice ute goes really well,BUT I know what I'd rather have anyday its a no brainer for me

If I was you right now and what I know now, I WOULD RUN and DONT LOOK BACK..

Old 04-12-2014, 10:07 PM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Hi Ninja,

most F250's you'll find will most likely be bone stock, probably with sagged front suspension, and other stuff that will probably mean that you're underwhelmed after a test drive.

Do a Forum search on 'Common Mods' - there are a lot of simple and cheap ways to easily improve the ride, handling, a responsiveness of these trucks, not to mention the fuel 'economy'.

The trucks are great if you like to understand the vehicle you drive and there is a huge knowledge base both on here and on the US 1999-2003 forum (noting that Aussie FA delivered trucks to 2006 are the same as the US 2003 7.3 model).

With the F250 there'll be lots of differences to a new Ranger - and the best choice will depend on lots of factors. For instance, if you're a turn the key and go and take it to the dealership for any issue and not really into researching issues/problems/fixes then an F250 for $60k to $70k probably won't be a good prospect.

I knew nothing about F250's when I bought mine - the main reason was my previous vehicle, a 5.8 Landcruiser, was not coping with towing 3T very well and all I knew was I needed something bigger. For me the F250 has been a joy to own, it tows anything I throw at with aplomb, and the mods that I have made over the years have made it comfortable and a joy to drive. The power and torque you can tap into, even with the stock turbo and injectors, is amazing. And like Bryan, I paid a shed-load more for my base vehicle in 2010.

Good luck in your quest!

Regards, Simon

Old 04-12-2014, 10:12 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

you wont find a better maintained truck than this and half of the mods have been done. Give Arty a call

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-my-truck.html

and your link didnt work for me

Old 04-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Ninja380
Freshman User
Thanks for the replies

that silver one is really clean

link to one in redcliff I had a look at Ford F250 2002 7 3 V8 Diesel Auto 4x4 Steel Tray Crew CAB Many Extra'S in Clontarf, QLD | eBay

I was only really keen to spend a 35000 - 55000, on a new (new to me) 4x4, obviously the cheaper it is, the sooner I can start mods and customization.

I know it will end up being more cumulatively, the goal is to own it for atleast 10 years. the main reason im not keen on a brand new ranger and the like, in ten years they will be worth next to nothing, where as a 25 year old f250 will still be an f250.

Hate to think what diesel will cost then.

I have looked at 2nd hand landcruisers, patrols, even range rovers.

It will be a 2nd car, as we have a 2011 captiva (wifes car) and i have a work car supplied with my job

would love a extra cab swb

Old 04-13-2014, 10:58 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Hmm Thats a nice price . How many Km's, Does it have a service history. Whats been done to the trans. Why did he change the injectors. What brand are they. Is it running a tuner. Is it 5" turbo back exhaust or 3.5" downpipe to 5".

Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
What Brian said! I'd like to see more pics of under the bonnet. Also, I'd want to see some more interior pictures - if there is a towbar, did the PO also have a trans fluid temp gauge?
Did the big injectors go in with the stock air-filter, AIH and EBPV not deleted? Could it still be running the stock FA downpipe?

Full list of mods would be good. I can see it has had a least one extra leaf added to the front springs.

Also check the front tyres dont rub on the springs at full lock, because those wheels look like take-offs from the later US coil-front model - that would mean that the wheel offset is not low enough for the leaf springs- or that there could be those (illegal) wheel spacers inserted in between the wheel and the hub - either way it could mean a new set of wheels to pass a roadworthy (and satisfy insurance if there was ever a claim).

Old 04-14-2014, 06:02 AM
Ninja380
Freshman User
This seems to have heaps done, good value? Just around the corner from me

2000 Ford F250 Lariat Cars for sale in QLD - Carsales Mobile

This could be the one, its in melbourne so, will have to wait till after easter. For me it is work work work.

2001 Ford F250 XLT Cars for sale in VIC - Carsales Mobile

Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Noting the crew cab is an American import which usually go a bit cheaper than the official FA units - you may want to check out the conversion. Having the Lariat level of trim would be nice. One member here had to chase quite a few unknowns in his US import - frustrating but I think it ended well. I suspect the hard top 'canopy' is merely a hard folding tonneau cover. It has some tricked up parts like the chip - which sort cause there are some not-so-good ones?, and a turbo upgrade (probably the 38R). The glimpse of the wheel that I see shows significant dish which is correct for leaf sprung trucks. K's is good too at 130,000, but is this K's or miles, and is it just the K's after conversion? You'd have to go through the service records and any receipts. It's worth a look I reckon, and if everything stacks up... Also, it's blown out one transmission, you'll have to establish what got put in the 'recond trans'.

The supercab in Vic, if that is a one owner stock vehicle - although the headlights have been changed, and it has some sort of turbo-timer (?!), the american suspension might just be the usual 'leveling kit' designed to reverse the front end sag and would be totally normal to have fitted (e.g. my 2005 had sagged) - but if the service history/one owner stacked up - reasonable offer - that could be a good buy if you leave yourself some contingency money..

Also, what you said about Rangers and their expected value in 10 years, well the cost of depreciation at $6000 per year on a new Ranger is going to pay for quite a bit of fuel.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:28 PM
xran
Senior User
I know bugger-all about these, other than I'm not allowed to buy one because apparently it'd be too hard for her to park - yeah.... that's what SHE said!! lol.

Welcome along anyway ninja

Old 04-14-2014, 03:43 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's my 2c. I was an engineer on the Effies when they came to Oz through Ford, and then on the current model Ranger when it was developed here.

The Ranger is a nicer vehicle in terms of comfort/quietness, and its something that the wife might prefer to drive, but the F-Series is a lot more truck. Outside of needing to do some things with the transmission (particularly if mods have been done to increase the hp), and ball joints, the basic mechanicals are very sound.
One of the best things about these trucks is the knowledge on them on here, and the ability to source parts (relatively) cheaply from the US.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Patchy 73
Senior User
Ninja,

You are going the right way asking as many questions as possible silly or not
I started with a 72 model, Two 78 models,
one 82 model all petrols
When I decided to get my 03 model I asked all sort of questions
I was a bit nervous at first,1st diesel, and a truck with electronics, I'm still asking questions but it is not as scarey as I thought it would be, Heaps of info on forums
Good luck in your search

BTW it's 30 years ago when I did buy my 1st effie, I have to find a photo of the old girl

Cheers,
Patchy

Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
Smile Welcome

Ninja,
Welcome to the forum.
I have found the people on this forum, especially the Aussie chapter, to be a very friendly and knowledgable bunch of people.

People on here have provided me with much usefull, and acurate, information that has saved me much time, effort and money.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Except Bryan

Old 04-15-2014, 04:00 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
Except Bryan
Dude! - you fishing with dynamite?