Turn signal issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:53 PM
gfburke
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Turn signal issue.

79 f150.

Just two main issues. All bulbs and signals work, with the exception of the front left bulb when signals are engaged. I went and bought new bulbs and replaced that one that wasn't flashing. But it still is not working at all. So, I assume wiring is next. (a part # or direct link would be awesome)

On top of this, the indicator cab lights for turn signals don't come one either. I can get the left to blink inside if i hold the turn signal lever just slightly upward... then the light will start blinking in the cab. I can hear the clicking when they are initiated however.

2nd issue is that my signals don't auto cancel after making a turn. Is that normal for this trucks? I know my steering itself is jacked up.. loud.. hard to turn.. lots of drifting, etc.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:26 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by gfburke
All bulbs and signals work, with the exception of the front left bulb when signals are engaged. I went and bought new bulbs and replaced that one that wasn't flashing. But it still is not working at all.
Does the REAR left flash as it should when this happens? Does the problem depend on the parking lights being ON or OFF, or does it not make any difference?

So, I assume wiring is next. (a part # or direct link would be awesome)
One step at a time.

On top of this, the indicator cab lights for turn signals don't come one either. I can get the left to blink inside if i hold the turn signal lever just slightly upward... then the light will start blinking in the cab. I can hear the clicking when they are initiated however.
When the LEFT indicator light comes on with the lever held just right, does the front left bulb now come on too? Are you saying the RIGHT indicator never comes on at all?

2nd issue is that my signals don't auto cancel after making a turn. Is that normal for this trucks? I know my steering itself is jacked up.. loud.. hard to turn.. lots of drifting, etc.
They're supposed to auto-cancel. Mechanical steering problems are unrelated. Is the steering wheel original to the truck?

On the surface, if I make several assumptions, your problems point to a faulty turn signal switch, but you need to answer all five questions first.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:54 PM
gfburke
More Turbo
Originally Posted by fmc400
Does the REAR left flash as it should when this happens? Does the problem depend on the parking lights being ON or OFF, or does it not make any difference?
The left rear does work fine when engaged. she blinks.
Need to look and notice that difference as I haven't with parking brake on. As a side note and something else I need to fix.. the E-brake doesn't work - cannot push it down. 'stuck'. feels like i'll snap something if I push harder.. anyways. next time.

When the LEFT indicator light comes on with the lever held just right, does the front left bulb now come on too? Are you saying the RIGHT indicator never comes on at all?
I need to look at it when held! thanks!
the right cab never does, no. kinda a flicker.. i've seen before.. but rare. and hasn't flickered for a while now.

They're supposed to auto-cancel. Mechanical steering problems are unrelated. Is the steering wheel original to the truck?
The wheel is original as far as I can tell, yes.

Thanks man! I'll check out the flashing on the outside when I hold the stick up to the point it almost clicks off spot. see if she flash'n.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:24 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Need to look and notice that difference as I haven't with parking brake on.
Not parking brake, parking light. The parking brake has no connection to the truck's electrical system. Turn the parking lights on by pulling the headlight **** out to either of the two stops.

the right cab never does, no. kinda a flicker..
If the front right signal works just fine, yet the right indicator does not (or is intermittent), check the bulb or cluster connection. The front right signal and the indicator light come from the exact same output of the switch - so if the front right signal works, the issue has to be local to the indicator bulb.

The wheel is original as far as I can tell, yes.
This could be an issue with the cancel cam in the switch itself.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:01 PM
gfburke
More Turbo
Yeah, I kind of wondered. We say driving lights up in here. lol.
Perfect! will do. thanks. I'll look at her tonight. Awesome