1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Fuel tank won't release it's fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:13 PM
egg collector
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel tank won't release it's fuel

Putting it all together and my 1960 would not start. No fuel was coming out of the tank. New pump and was pumping fuel out of a fruit jar and the truck would run and run. Installed the tank after cleaning it out, did not put any coating inside the tank. Ran a rubber hose down the tank and it would pump fuel to the carb and it would run. Any way to replace or repair the tube inside the tank? Any thoughts how to repair without getting another tank. I did blow air down the tube while I cleaning the tank.
thanks
ec

Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Danleig
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try to run the engine without the gas cap on? If there's no venting (through the gas cap) you'll pull a vacuum and gas won't flow.

I'd try to disconnect the fuel line from the pump and blast a shot of compressed air back into the tank. If there's an obstruction you might be able to blow it into the tank (listen for the air through the filler neck.) if that works you'll still have to get whatever that obstruction was out of the tank.

If not, check the full length of the fuel line for kinks or crimps. And good luck!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:42 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I did blow air down the tube while I cleaning the tank.
EC Where our trucks fuel tanks don't gravity feed to the fuel pump (they siphon feed) if the tube has a hole in it above the fuel line, the pump will only pull air. Think of a straw in your soda if it has a hole in the side that is above the liquid level, you pull in air.
If you remove the sending unit and reach in and plug the bottom of the siphon tube then blow through the line you may find the tube has a hole in it. You can re-solder a new tube in your tank easy enough with a propane torch. (make sure the tank has been purged of fuel vapors)

Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 614 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
EC Where our trucks fuel tanks don't gravity feed to the fuel pump (they siphon feed) if the tube has a hole in it above the fuel line, the pump will only pull air. Think of a straw in your soda if it has a hole in the side that is above the liquid level, you pull in air.
If you remove the sending unit and reach in and plug the bottom of the siphon tube then blow through the line you may find the tube has a hole in it. You can re-solder a new tube in your tank easy enough with a propane torch. (make sure the tank has been purged of fuel vapors)
A friend of mine was soldering on his tank. He had it out of the vehicle and was sitting on it. He woke up in the field next to his house! Be carefull!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:57 PM
egg collector
Junior User
Well I will not be sitting on my tank. Is the line in the tank just a hollow tube and is it straight down without a curve at the bottom. My plans are to just blow through the tube and listen for bubbles, then try to suck gas out through the tube. Is there no way to pull the tube in the tank? Is there enough room to slide a smaller tube inside the existing tub and if so will enough gas come through to run the truck?

Old 04-10-2014, 02:38 PM
millertme
Senior User
Do yourself a favor and consider rebuilding/replacing your tank and/or relocating. I ran through the same dilemma. Ended up drilling out the old dip tube and building my own and still ran into rust issues with the tank that clogged my new pump and filters.

A mustang tank runs around 100 bucks. I ended up going with an EFI tank from Tanks Inc.