Power Steering bracket 1993 F150 4.9L

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:53 PM
OldFords
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope someone here can help me. I just bought a 1993 F150 with the I6 for my wife. She is already in love with the truck.

It had the wrong serpentine belt (too narrow), so I changed it. I also replaced the PS pump and hose because of a leak.

When I drove the truck around the block, it threw the new belt.

Looking at the front of the engine from the driver's side I can see that the PS pump is tilted back at the top, causing the pulley to be misaligned by about 1/4 inch.

There doesn't appear to be any cracks in the bracket, but it does seem to be tilted rearward at the top. The PS pump pulley does not line up with the AC compressor or the tensioning pulleys.

The narrow belt rides in the center of the AC pulley and the tensioner, but at the very front of the PS pulley.

Might it be the wrong PS pump ora bent bracket? I didn't think that a cast-aluminum piece would bend; I always thought that it would break first.

I have searched this site and the i-net for the part number or casting number so I can find a replacement bracket, with no luck.

Does anyone have a bracket for sale or know the part or casting #s?

OldFords

Old 04-06-2014, 03:39 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you forget a spacer or something when you replaced the pump? The pump and pulley are identical to the ones that came off the truck?

Can you post pics?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:10 PM
OldFords
Senior User

Thanks for responding, Baron.

The way the bracket is mounted on the engine, with one bolt on the front of the block and 3 on the side, there is no way to put a spacer in.

The engine had the narrower belt on it when I bought the truck. Apparently the PO had the belt-throwing problem and I just missed the evidence (narrow belt).

The pump I bought and installed new is identical to the one I removed. I cross-referenced the Ford part number to the O'Reilly number before buying.

I found a couple of photos of the bracket on the i-net. Looking at the bolt holes on the bracket, I can see no way to adjust the bracket orientation to the engine block.

I will take some photos as soon as the sun goes down enough to stop the glare in the engine compartment and post them if I can. I've never posted a photo to this site, so it will be a learning experience for me.

OldFords

Last edited by OldFords; 04-06-2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-06-2014, 07:15 PM
OldFords
Senior User

I got a couple of photos. I think they show the misalignment of the PS pulley with the other pulleys.

OldFords

Last edited by OldFords; 04-06-2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: corect error
Old 05-27-2014, 10:38 AM
1996F150XL
New User
Wrong bracket?

I think you said you had all original parts, but mine has had a motor swap and I'm throwing belts. I thought maybe you and I need to swap power steering brackets! Seems like everything on this bracket, PS pump, A/C compressor and tensioner are all lined up further from the engine than the other side; alternator and smog pump. I haven't taken the belt back off to check the crank pulley for looseness yet, as others have suggested.
I need to check that pulley, but I'm seriously beginning to think I need your style bracket.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:12 PM
OldFords
Senior User
Power steering bracket 1993 F150 4.9L

I did some research and found the Ford casting number for my engine. It is
F2TA-19E708-EA. I pulled the bracket off my truck, and the numbers match, so I have the right bracket.

The belt that I thought was a narrow, 4-rib, belt was actually the original 6-rib that had two ribs removed to keep on the pulleys.

To fix my problem I had to rework the mounting holes on the bracket that mounted it to the side of the engine. There are four of them. I elongated the holes on the top two and the bottom rear to move the top of the bracket toward the front of the truck. Then I made a spacer for the space on the top front bolt that was created with the top of the bracket moved forward. I also made two spacers to move the rear section of the bracket (rear upper and lower side bolts) to rotate the pulley more in line with the rest of the engine pulleys.

I put it all back together with a new 6-rib belt. It worked for 3 or 4 days, until I turned on the AC. After several miles it threw the belt again.

I found that it is possible to install the PS pump pulley too far onto the pump shaft, which causes a minor misalignment. So I pulled the PS pump out with the removal tool until it was properly aligned. Works fine now.

I was told by a garage owner (professional mechanic) that the puuley alignment was critical. A very small misalignment will cause the belt to be thrown.

So the truck is fine now. I hope this helps you with your problem.

OldFords

Old 05-29-2014, 06:05 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
way to go and thanks for documenting this for the next guy

Old 07-13-2014, 10:36 AM
greasemanicure
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I'm about to replace my power steering pump the guidance about the pulley alignment will save me a lot of head scratching.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:22 PM
OldFords
Senior User
Glad the info is helpful. This truck is part of a small fleet we use in our landscaping business. Our foreman drives it. She has probably put 2,000 miles on it since the repair, and it has not thrown the belt. In fact, I have just recently replaced the P/S pump again, due to the first being defective. Before I installed the newest one, I measured the distance from the face of the bracket to the rear of the pump pulley. I showed to be 3/8 inch. I reinstalled the pulley to that measurement and it is working fine.

OldFords

bad attitudes