Sponsored by: Moser

79 F100 sbf 302 timing problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 AM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
the only differences between the 1405 and the 1406 is the calibration (jets) and the electric choke.

if you swapped in the 1406 jets, you essentially have a 1406 with manual choke.
I was just suggesting trying a whole different carb to rule out/confirm the actual carb on the motor now is the problem. If the truck acts the same with a different carb then the problem is most likely somewhere else, if it acts fine then he knows the problem is internal in the carb somewhere (with the floats or filters). Since he alredy has the extra carb I thought it'd be easy to give it a try.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:21 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutton
I was just suggesting trying a whole different carb to rule out/confirm the actual carb on the motor now is the problem. If the truck acts the same with a different carb then the problem is most likely somewhere else, if it acts fine then he knows the problem is internal in the carb somewhere (with the floats or filters). Since he alredy has the extra carb I thought it'd be easy to give it a try.
that's a good idea ....

for some reason i assumed it was a new 1405.

even at that, stuff happens and it's an easy swap just to elminate a problem with the carb.

to the OP:
i'm really surprised that it is falling flat once you hit the secondaries.... the air valves generally preclude any bog when you get into them, and even if it is way rich, it just won't pick up any power on the secondaries, but it usually runs OK.

even if your intial guess turns out being correct, you now have all the right pieces in place to be able to troubleshoot and tune properly. All your work will pay off in the long run regardless of what is causing the initial problem.

as a side thought, i wonder if unhooking the secondary linkage would allow you to make sure that the timing and fuel delivery system is working well first. This would allow you to tune the primaries to get them dialed in without having the secondaries as an additional variable to contend with. Then, once you got the primaries where everything runs really well, then you can hook them back up and tune the secondaries by themselves.

just a thought.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Wolffman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
that's a good idea ....

for some reason i assumed it was a new 1405.

even at that, stuff happens and it's an easy swap just to elminate a problem with the carb.

to the OP:
i'm really surprised that it is falling flat once you hit the secondaries.... the air valves generally preclude any bog when you get into them, and even if it is way rich, it just won't pick up any power on the secondaries, but it usually runs OK.

even if your intial guess turns out being correct, you now have all the right pieces in place to be able to troubleshoot and tune properly. All your work will pay off in the long run regardless of what is causing the initial problem.

as a side thought, i wonder if unhooking the secondary linkage would allow you to make sure that the timing and fuel delivery system is working well first. This would allow you to tune the primaries to get them dialed in without having the secondaries as an additional variable to contend with. Then, once you got the primaries where everything runs really well, then you can hook them back up and tune the secondaries by themselves.

just a thought.
I'll throw on the 1406 this afternoon and see if it fixes the problem. If it does then my guess is that the 1405 is gummed up somewhere. Maybe the floats aren't at 7/16 where they should be. But hopefully this issue will be resolved tonight. Thanks for the tips guys!