1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please f250 lifted truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 02:21 PM
kerandire
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please f250 lifted truck

Hi

I live in the UK, I have us cars and trucks and I am looking at a 2007 xlt 6.0 as a replacement for my dodge, now this truck is lifted and I see that a lot of them in the US are as well

Can anyone tell me why so many are and what is the benefits and pitfalls.

Here is a link to the truck

Ford F250 2007 Quad cab only 17,500 miles (Dodge / F150) Cruise Control / Dvd | eBay

Help please

Old 03-18-2014, 04:48 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,215 Posts
welcome it FTE. the main reason for lifting trucks is to fit larger tires under it.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 PM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck looks clean. But it has been tuned, so I would pop over to the 6.0 section and see what to look for when buying.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Black1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kerandire
Hi

I live in the UK, I have us cars and trucks and I am looking at a 2007 xlt 6.0 as a replacement for my dodge, now this truck is lifted and I see that a lot of them in the US are as well

Can anyone tell me why so many are and what is the benefits and pitfalls.
Benefits: Some people like the big tire/tall truck look.

Pitfalls:

Axle wrap. I know some will insist that's not a problem, but it was for me. Bigtime. Fortunately traction bars solved it.

Your blindspots include under your windows. That truck has the good mirrors so you'd be able to adjust.

Using the truck as a truck can be more of a challenge. I had to buy a new, longer ramp to load my motorcycle once the truck was lifted. The old ramp became more of a jump. You know it's time to make a change when you realize you're the trackside spectacle as everybody wants to see you load your bike.

Loss of some economy.

That said, the bigger concern on the truck in question is the tuner. I'm not a fan.

You'll find no shortage of detractors of the 6.0. They can be reliable. I'm at 198K and counting and mine's been lifted for years. Granted the suspension is different (leaf vs coil) - if anything maybe that one rides better than mine.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:42 AM
kerandire
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks helpful, if I get this truck I will put it back to stock.

Cannot see why the "bully dog" was needed?

Old 03-19-2014, 08:42 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,215 Posts
it looks like the wheel wells were cut to put those stupid fender flairs on. so if you want to return it to stock form, you will need to get front inner and outer fenders, and rear patch panels or a new bed.

and if it indeed has a bullydog tuner in it without gauges to monitor engine exhaust temps, it has probably been run hot

Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
it looks like the wheel wells were cut to put those stupid fender flairs on. so if you want to return it to stock form, you will need to get front inner and outer fenders, and rear patch panels or a new bed. and if it indeed has a bullydog tuner in it without gauges to monitor engine exhaust temps, it has probably been run hot
I have to agree 100% The fact that there's no pictures of the engine bay leads me to believe it has some sort if head gasket issues or something is being hidden. Bulllydog products are garbage and usually result in transmission failures because of the shift points.

The exhaust looks terrible and the fenders were defiantly cut for those flares. The truck could be hiding rust issues under them.

The truck looks like it was beat on by the cheap canned tuner and horrible exhaust. If nothing has been done to the motor expect around 10k US$ to make it reliable.

The seller also states that it has a 5th wheel hitch and combined with a cheap tuner and no gauges is asking for issues.

He also states it has a " factory exhaust" then somehow it has a quad 5", that was never factory. And at 17,000 Miles in the US may be low that it's safe to assume the truck is original and that being an original 6.0 is not a good thing.

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on it. To many red flags for my taste.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Im not a fan of the bullydog tuning but you can make your own informed decision on that. I would look at the degas bottle under the hood first order of business. It is the engine coolant resivoir. You are looking specifically for traces of boil over or water/ coolant residue. Also look at the coolant level. If it is low I would be weary. If there is residue I would be very weary of possible egr/ head gasket issues. As for the tuner if it is a gauge package bullydog unit I would drive the truck and set the monitor to see engine oil temp and engine coolant temp. During normal driving these temps should with in15* of each other. If they are higher the truck likely needs a oil cooler and other possible work. The oil temps will likely be in the 180-200* range depending on outside temps probably the lower 180ish since your in a colder climate. Also I would drive the truck and see how the tranny works. It should be firm not harsh. Put the truck in reverse and drive it backwards a bit. You should not feel and shudder at all or slipping. As for why someone would run aftermarket tuning on these trucks the reason is drivability and power. It makes a night and day difference. Ive had a tuner on mine pretty much the entire time because of this. Ive never seen a plausable fuel mpg gain or loss from tuning but with tuning it gets up and goes and just runs better overall. The fender flares look like mock cutouts and probably are just held on with 2 side 3m tape and likely are cosmetic and could be removed easily. Again that is what I see from the pictures and they dont look like cutouts. As for the lift depending on what type of kit it is depends on how to approach it. If it is just spacers up front and a larger block in the back similar to a leveling kit then going to stock should be easy amd cheap. If that isnt the case I would consider a different truck since parts likely are not plentiful over there and prices for stock parts or even used parts probably command a premium. If you could get pictures of the front and rear suspension and measure the rear block (in inches for us us guys) we probably could tell you whats what. Over all I would try to check the truck cold (after it has set overnight) start the truck and see how easy it starts up amd how it idles from cold. A rocky rough idle when cold could be worn or faulty injectors which wont show as well once the truck is warm and has been driven for a little bit. Also when drivimg the truck white smoke is that smells like fuel is unburnt fuel. White smoke that smells sweet is coolant and likely a egr or head gasket failure. Bluesish smoke is oil in the fuel likely a bad turbo seal. Black smoke on a hard acceleration is normal from a tuned truck.. hope that gives you some things to look at