1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT Saying goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss - don't you wish they could live much longer? It is such a tough thing to do when the time comes to have them put down. I have had a lot of dogs, always rescues. My first was a border collie who lived until 16, the most loyal friend that I ever had. Loved to play ball and loved to jump until he got too old and blind. Had two more border collies (one right now who was born deaf), a black lab, an English Setter like Joe, an old English Sheep dog, and some mutts. We have three now, all great.
Hope you find another soon, I have found that it helps to ease the pain. I like to think that they come back as another dog...

Old 03-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dog, Wade. When a dog comes to the end of its life, and you struggle with the "guilt" of whether or not to put it down, just remember my story here. The best dog I ever owned was a female Dalmatian named Disney that I brought from TN back to KY in 2003. One of my nurse co-workers had her, and she begged me to take her so that she could enjoy the later half of her life in the country. She was already about 9 years old then. Greatest and most loyal dog of all time. When she got up around 17 years old, I was realizing that she was on borrowed time, but she still got around and seemed to be content with her life. Hardly ever went farther than 20 feet from the porch. Then one day she just simply vanished. I never saw her again. I looked HARD for her for weeks. I just wanted to find anything--and I would have accepted anything between finding her alive on the neighbor's porch to finding her collar in a pile of coyote crap. I crawled through thickets, culverts, snake pits, and everything in between. When a dog lives out in the country, it has an instinct to just simply know when it's going to die. And they will leave before that happens. Even dogs who literally haven't left the porch in years will just vanish like the earth opens up and swallows them. She's been gone probably about 4 years now. To this day, I'd give a lot of money just to know where she died. So the moral of the story is simple--if you have a dog put down, at least be glad you know what happened.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:59 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel for you. My wife's gonna have an especially hard time when our older dog passes. Her folks are aging too and I see a rough patch or three coming. I'll do my best to be there for her. Sticking together through thick and thin - it's just what we know to do for each other. Don't neglect to grieve, that's what lets us move on. Hang in there, and we'll keep you and your loved ones in our thoughts and prayers.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:21 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It's so hard, they are with us for such a short time.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Horizonblue
Senior User
Sorry to hear it Wade. We lost our black lab rescue pooch almost exactly a year ago. He made it to 13 or so. We still miss him. Labs are the best.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:57 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I feel for you Wade. I too have been through this several times. My thoughts are with you. We've always had two dogs. For some reason it seems like another dog finds us when it's time. My last German Shepherd was 12 when she lost the ability to get up on her own. My vet is very emphatic that he doesn't want his patients to live in pain.....so when it's time, we all pretty much know that he's right & we do what's best for our old friends.

My advice....rescue another mutt and spend the next 12 years trying to figure out who rescued who!

Dan

Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
wade....
don't know you but certainly know your situation....29 yrs ago I had to put my best friend out of his pain. I only had to look in his eyes and hear him asking me to help him escape. he gave me the full 16 yrs of his life with no variation .....just unconditional love. after all these years I sit here with tears in my eyes.
qman

Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 AM
ulev1st
Senior User
Damn Wade....so very sorry to hear about your fur kid.. I lost mine about two mnonths ago so I do know how you feel at least a little.....it really sucks..prayers your way buddy!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 AM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words, it helps to know that we're doing the right thing. Wouldn't you know that Rocky started acting like he was 5 years old when I got home last night! This morning he seemed better, but still down with the pain in the eyes look. The vet couldn't make it until tonight so we are now trying to decide if we should cancel or not. I know we are near the end, it's just hard to "pull the trigger"

Thank you all for your advice and compassion.
w

Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by cruisetopdown
Thanks for all the kind words, it helps to know that we're doing the right thing. Wouldn't you know that Rocky started acting like he was 5 years old when I got home last night! This morning he seemed better, but still down with the pain in the eyes look. The vet couldn't make it until tonight so we are now trying to decide if we should cancel or not. I know we are near the end, it's just hard to "pull the trigger"

Thank you all for your advice and compassion.
w
We ran into the same thing with our Sadie about 10 years ago. She had congestive heart failure. The doctor gave her 6 months. Two years later she was really struggling to breath on a regular basis. When we took her to the vet to be put down she seemed to really perk up. Making that final decision is so tough. It's something only you and your dog can finally make. We are thinking about you.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Firepower flyer
Freshman User
Sorry to hear,never a easy thing to do.I had to do it years ago with my black lab mix rescue dog.There always in your heart!!I have three labs right now and I have one thats 13 that and not doing real well and I know it's coming,hang in there!!
Joe

Old 03-18-2014, 10:08 AM
Nojive55
Senior User
My deepest sympathies. We can always take comfort in knowing we gave them a good, long, happy life (no doubt about that, looking at your pics).

Old 03-18-2014, 11:53 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Last night when I read about Rocky I just didn't have the words to express my feelings, so I held off posting. This morning is the same, I mean loosing dogs has been some of the saddest experiences of my life. My wife still cries when she thinks about burying our last two dogs. They are such loyal friends, that just live to please you, and love you unconditionally. I'm so sorry for your loss and the pain it brings. This is a very sad time for you. Any body that has ever had a dog understands.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Cat906
Senior User
I am so sorry to hear about what's going on.

I've been in the same situation with the best dog I've ever had. He was 9 years old with osteosarcoma that had become systemic. We knew it was only a matter of time, but in the end, we had to do what was best for him, even though it was hard on us.

Like your dog, Rebel just kept going and was energetic despite the pain we knew he had to be in. With a leg he couldn't use, he would race around the yard with his fur-brothers, Gunner and Jake, leading them the whole time. He was a Vizsla, Gunner a German Wirehair, and Jake a Vizsla puppy.

There's never anything that makes that decision easy, and there is never the perfect time. You always want to hold out hope for your beloved family member to have just one more good day.

Again, I am SO sorry for what you're going through. My prayers are with you and your family.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I`m sorry for your loss as I`ve been there more than once and I know how you feel.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: OT Saying goodbye