1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

more Holley 1904 issues

Old 03-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
more Holley 1904 issues

carb pukes gas out of over flow and mostly drips out of hole where the butterfly linkage goes into body of carb after shut down-not everytime, but probabaly 80%, and yesterday it died at stop sign and was dumping gas, tapped on carb and held throttle wide open and started and ran fine on way home, then on shutdown was spilling gas again. almost like a stuck float? any ideas?

Old 03-13-2014, 02:15 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you are on the path, float or needle valve.
Could be to much pressure to the carb. Stock fuel pump or after market?

Old 03-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Stock fuel pump. With 2 filters. One under cab in between tank and pump, one between pump and carb. Noticed that when carb leaks, the clear filter in between carb and pump goes dry. Stays full when it does not leak

Old 03-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
is this a better designed carb? will it work with the vacuum advanced dist?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1961-1962-1963-1964-ford-carburetor-for-223-six-cylinder-/171264698016?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e02be6a0&vxp=mtr

Old 03-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Danleig
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maltman
Stock fuel pump. With 2 filters. One under cab in between tank and pump, one between pump and carb. Noticed that when carb leaks, the clear filter in between carb and pump goes dry. Stays full when it does not leak
That's the wackiest thing I've heard in a while. If the filter is empty, how could fuel pressure be the culprit? Could the gas be boiling in the carb?

Old 03-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
does sounds crazy, I guess it is sucking up the fuel from the filter and leaking it out of carb on shutdown?

I really have no idea

thats a possibility, but truck has NEVER been over 180 with me in it and runs at 155 pretty much all the time...closer to 150 with all the hoses changed and all new coolant

Originally Posted by Danleig
That's the wackiest thing I've heard in a while. If the filter is empty, how could fuel pressure be the culprit? Could the gas be boiling in the carb?

Last edited by Maltman; 03-13-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Have you rebuilt carb recently? Mine over flowed after rebuilt cuz the screw that holds the float assembly in the carb was loose. Gas was leaking into float bowl cuz it was going past crush washer if that makes sense.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
I know the flat head you are talking about, this carb was rebuilt a few months ago. I will check and tighten if loose. but, wouldn't it leak all the time if that was loose?

thanks for the replies!

Originally Posted by Damifiknow
Have you rebuilt carb recently? Mine over flowed after rebuilt cuz the screw that holds the float assembly in the carb was loose. Gas was leaking into float bowl cuz it was going past crush washer if that makes sense.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Danleig
Senior User
Originally Posted by Maltman
does sounds crazy, I guess it is sucking up the fuel from the filter and leaking it out of carb on shutdown?
That's a key point ladies and gentlemen, the carb is puking AFTER the engine is shut off, so the fuel pump is no longer doing its thing. And somehow the gremlin is sucking the filter dry AND blowing the gas out the carb?? AND the liquid gas is going uphill!

BTW the boiling point of gasoline is between 100-400 Fahrenheit. If its boiling in the carb it might be pushing the liquid out of the carb and back to the tank simultaneously. Just a thought...

Old 03-14-2014, 12:45 AM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Yes sir, those are the issues I'm having. Now just how to fix her, would hate for a fire to develop from gas dripping on exhaust manifold. Thanks again for the replies and any and all thoughts of how to fix would be much appreciated.

I'm thinking more and more about the boiling gas in carb, is this a known issue?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Danleig
Senior User
Yes, do a google search on "carb percolation". It seems to affect older vehicles using winter blend gasolines.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:20 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
IF the problem is percolating that's caused by excessive heat to the base of the carb.
1: do you have a gasket pack between the carb and manifold?

2: The heat riser in the exhaust manifold could be stuck in the closed position or broken internally and be in the closed position. If that occurs it directs exhaust gasses to the bottom of the intake manifold and over heats it and will transfer the heat to the carb.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Maltman
Posting Guru
I will definitely google that, thank you

Yes, have 6 or so of the felpro gaskets stacked together, enough for throttle linkage to clear manifold...

I am pretty sure the heatriser is fully removed...

Old 03-14-2014, 11:12 AM
cyclone-429
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something else I have seen is the fuel in the fuel line is vaporizing & forcing the fuel up toward the carb. I just looked at the pics in your garage & see the fuel line goes from the pump all the way around the front of the engine & then back to the carb, right behind the radiator & then above the exhaust manifold. It may be picking up heat during this trip.

Try to insulate this line with something & see if it helps. I have used over-sized fuel line split open & secured with tie wraps.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Maltman
Posting Guru
just noticed people talking about this same thing while reading on percolation, will do. Thanks!

Joe

Originally Posted by cyclone-429
Something else I have seen is the fuel in the fuel line is vaporizing & forcing the fuel up toward the carb. I just looked at the pics in your garage & see the fuel line goes from the pump all the way around the front of the engine & then back to the carb, right behind the radiator & then above the exhaust manifold. It may be picking up heat during this trip.

Try to insulate this line with something & see if it helps. I have used over-sized fuel line split open & secured with tie wraps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: more Holley 1904 issues