Sponsored by:

2 inch lift 2003 Excursion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:07 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 inch lift 2003 Excursion?

I have a 2003 Excursion 4x4 Diesel 6.0. I want to do a lift of 2 inches with 18 inch wheels and 33 inch rubber. What is the best and most affordable way to get that done? The lift kits are at least a grand and that seems crazy for a 2 inch lift. I want to continue to park the scurge in the garage. So 4 inch is probably pushing it for garage access. My garage is 81.5 inches tall.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 PM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Shackles and a bigger block. You can get 2" lift shackles for the front for less than $100 and a 4" block from a Superduty at a scrap yard and you'll have your 2" lift.

With a 81.5" tall garage you'll be pushing it either way. Wiki tells me a stock 4x4 Ex is 77.2" if you gain the full 2" lift and slap on 33s you'll be at 80.2" technically... You'll have more or less an inch to spare.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:36 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
replace springs?

Originally Posted by jayjjcc
Shackles and a bigger block. You can get 2" lift shackles for the front for less than $100 and a 4" block from a Superduty at a scrap yard and you'll have your 2" lift.

With a 81.5" tall garage you'll be pushing it either way. Wiki tells me a stock 4x4 Ex is 77.2" if you gain the full 2" lift and slap on 33s you'll be at 80.2" technically... You'll have more or less an inch to spare.
Is there a way I can replace the springs with f250 springs of the same year to get the lift?
The reason I ask is to get rid of the wondering these excursions are known for. The spring replacement is supposed to help with that.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Mach1394
Senior User
Block in the rear and another spring in the front should give you what you want.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
I just completed the 2" lift shackles in the front and did a Pro Comp long Add a Leaf in the rear. Rides great and I no longer hit the bump stops. Shackles, Spring and new ubolts were right at $200.

I was at 38.5" front and 40.25" rear front ground to fender lip before and 40.5" front and 41.75" rear after.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:06 PM
JKTex
Junior User
You shouldn't need to do anything for 33's. I've been running 285's since mine has 125 miles on it, and didn't swap the front springs until several years later. I swapped the fronts using U code's and got 1.75" and a new bumpstop free ride.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:08 PM
BeachEx
Junior User
As JKTex said you can run 285/75/16 on stock suspension, then do a spring swap. The Trucks have a higher ride height than our Excursions.

Go with the tried and true v-code and modified b-code spring swap. These springs are rated to handle the weight of the diesel and will improve the ride and handling of your Ex.
You can source used springs and if you can do the work yourself it can be done for less than $400
<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden"><input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
I forgot to say I'm running 285/75R16's on mine now and have zero issues with clearance. You start running into rubbing issues with 305/75's.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:38 PM
JKTex
Junior User
I'm about to put 305's on mine now. (they're 70's) They're the same height as 285's but about 1" wider at the tread and cross section. Some trucks don't have a problem, some do. Mine has mud flaps which is the main obsticle which can be trimmed. I finally trimmed the drivers side a couple years ago just because of infrequent rubs under very specific conditions, and I think the 305's might bump the drivers side again.

I've known guys to put 295's (like 2" taller 285's) without any problem, but 315's (2" taller 305's) seem to be where a lift is needed, usually 3" or more to be 100% sure on most all trucks.

Tire design might make a difference too. BFG's are wider at the tread so the shoulder tends to hit things for example.

Since you're changing wheels, if you're sticking to the correct OEM backspace, even up to a 9" wide wheel you're probably ok until you get to a 11.5" wide 33' (similar to a 305/70/16) then you might need a little lift in the front. If you have no mud flaps you might just bump the springs on full lock.

These things are hardly precise so you may need to experiment to see if, or how much lift you need, if lifting it is only to fit bigger tires. If you just want it lifted, go 4" and be happy. To me that's an ideal height and easy to the right way. Contact CaryT for info on how to do that before spending $1k+ for an off the shelve kit that probably won't ride and handle near as good as what Cary can help you with.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:31 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 819 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by mjoyce
Is there a way I can replace the springs with f250 springs of the same year to get the lift?
The reason I ask is to get rid of the wondering these excursions are known for. The spring replacement is supposed to help with that.
Originally Posted by BeachEx
As JKTex said you can run 285/75/16 on stock suspension, then do a spring swap. The Trucks have a higher ride height than our Excursions.

Go with the tried and true v-code and modified b-code spring swap. These springs are rated to handle the weight of the diesel and will improve the ride and handling of your Ex.
You can source used springs and if you can do the work yourself it can be done for less than $400

If you are looking for about 2" or so and want to fix the wandering then BeachEX has it right, V/B(modded) codes are from a PSD SuperDuty and will raise you up almost 2" and should fix the wander from the crappy factory Ex springs. New or used V/Bs from '99 through '04 will work. If doing the work yourself, plan for a weekend and try to have a helper, it's not too bad of a job and there are some great writeups on the swap in the tech folder here.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:42 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
Thanks everybody for the advice. I am thinking about going with the V/B(modded) codes are from a PSD SuperDuty. Looking on ordering them from Ford. My brother in law works as a mechanic so checking to see if I can get an affordable new springs. The truck guys and mechanics out there have not heard of the wonder issue and had no ideas on how to resolve it. Without you guys in here I wouldn't have any idea on what to do or where to start. So a hardy THANKS. After reading reading and reading some more I think this is a good move to start with to cure the ride and the wonder. If the wonder still exists there is always the Hellwig then on to the Roadmaster Active Suspension.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:21 AM
JKTex
Junior User
If you have a wander issue, or are doing this to also address that, I'd first find out what's causing it. Mine has been great, no wander of any kind ever. Some are horrible. The one thing that seems to have been the cause of most is the power steering gearbox. Ford can check it and it would be in "spec" yet be loose enough to wander. A lot of guys have adjusted them with success but it's one of those things that you take a lot of time with, making very, very small adjustments, testing and so on. Go too far and you're replacing a steering gearbox. That may be the reason Ford appears to do whatever it takes to keep from doing it.

Personally, I'd want to fix the truck right then add aftermarket parts to fix. Aftermarket should to be to improve. I'm seriously considering the RAS right now to reduce the body roll even more, reduce the squat when I fill with fuel or towing my boat when it look more nose high and hopefully control the ride better over bumps etc. as most report it helps with. A slight lift as most claim it gives would be good too. Mine needs just a touch in the rear to make it look more level.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM
mjoyce
Junior User
Update on my progress. I took all of the info I got from this thread and the forum and gave it to Fort Worth Champion Spring and Mike worked on it. He installed the springs v/b and modified the B springs and I couldn't be happier. It was expensive 1060$ but I felt better having a pro do it plus I just put struts and sway bars in my svt focus commuter and didn't have the energy to tackle it myself. I added a couple of pics of the excursion and the garage fit that some might find interesting. Its in a public album under my profile. Have no idea how to add photos to a thread.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:53 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tdappleman
I just completed the 2" lift shackles in the front and did a Pro Comp long Add a Leaf in the rear. Rides great and I no longer hit the bump stops. Shackles, Spring and new ubolts were right at $200.

I was at 38.5" front and 40.25" rear front ground to fender lip before and 40.5" front and 41.75" rear after.
I was 1 1/2" low in the front and after 1 1/2" shackles in the rear of the front springs it is at 39" all around and dips/bumps are no longer feared. Shackles were $50. Your tires might be bigger than my 265's.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:13 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 819 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by mjoyce
Update on my progress. I took all of the info I got from this thread and the forum and gave it to Fort Worth Champion Spring and Mike worked on it. He installed the springs v/b and modified the B springs and I couldn't be happier. It was expensive 1060$ but I felt better having a pro do it plus I just put struts and sway bars in my svt focus commuter and didn't have the energy to tackle it myself. I added a couple of pics of the excursion and the garage fit that some might find interesting. Its in a public album under my profile. Have no idea how to add photos to a thread.

I just checked out your pics, looks great! And you have enough room to run a little more tire and still squeeze into that garage!
Did your local spring shop use Ford springs or their replacements? just curious as we are having a conversation about differences between spring shop replacements vs Ford specs in another thread.
Adding pics is easy, it must be if I can do it! You just need to setup a free account at photobucket or some other pic hosting site and then just copy and paste the IMG code for the desired pic into your post.
Glad to see another happy EX owner!

Quick Reply: 2 inch lift 2003 Excursion?