Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Diagnosing Neglected V10 Superduty.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:37 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diagnosing Neglected V10 Superduty.

Ok, bought this truck Thursday. I've worked and tinkered on many gen 9 ford trucks with 302's and 351's. I'm not an ace mechanic, but I can do quite a bit as long as I don't have to tear an engine or transmission apart.

Truck is a 2000 F250 V10 4x4 with 120k on the clock. (For more information check here)

The reason I bought it was because it was dirt cheap and I thought I could save this poor truck that looks like it was poorly maintained and give it some new life.

Here are the codes:

The speedometer does not work and the OD OFF light is flashing. In another forum, a member already had suggested the speed sensor on the axle being the culprit for that before I pulled the codes. Is speed sensor "A" the sensor on the axle? Also, what is most likely the culprit for the Transmission Range Sensor "A" Circuit? Most likely the sensor itself needing to be replaced?

As per the engine, I assume the cylinders on these trucks are numbered the same as my old windsor engines. 1 & 2 being the front two cylinders on the passenger side. Is this side of the engine "Bank 1?" The passenger side of the engine also has broken exhaust studs and leaks severely. That being said the exhaust is also severly rusted and only goes about half way back the truck. Just after the converter I believe.

I'm sure the truck has a bad PCV valve, and also is missing the clip that holds the air filter housing together, so I want to get these items and clean the MAF sensor to rule those two things out as affecting this. Where else should I look?

Thanks for any input, I'm new to this section of the site and everyone has been really helpful on everything so far. I hope to stick around for awhile.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 AM
ForKyleigh
New User
On the misfires, I would check out the coils on cylinder one and two. You could pull one from a working cylinder and plug it in to 1 or 2. That should change your code to a misfire on a different cylinder.

The speed sensor and the OD light are probably one in the same. Maybe an outside effect on the transmission. Some transmissions shift based off of speed (not sure on this specific one)

I would also expose the MAF sensor and clean it with a MAF cleaner. Spray both sides. Mine was covered in a black soot. It took a lot of spray. I would also try to firm up the clamp situation. I would check rockauto.com. Worst case you have an excuse to buy a K&N or Volant intake!

PCV valve is pretty easy to change. It may also be worth while to clean up the throttle body and idle air control valve.

As far as the lean situation, that may be remedied with the misfires go away.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:05 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Finally had some time to do a little tinkering on the truck tonight. I power washed the underside of the truck as best I could without getting it up off the ground, and then cleaned the connecter for the transmission range sensor.

I alternated between electrical cleaner and compressed air several times, then put dielectric grease on each pin before reconnecting it.

Under the hood, I examined the coils, and sure enough, coils 1 & 2 have cracks on the top.

I'm going to order a couple coils, a fuel filter, and a PCV valve, then see about getting an air box clamp at a junk yard. When they come in, I'll put the parts on, clear the codes and take it for a test drive. Does anyone know what other vehicles have that same clamp? I'm guessing V10 excursions would, but what about 5.4 Triton trucks or PSD trucks?

Hopefully, with a little luck, that will just leave me with the speed sensor issue to address. But I'm never that lucky

Old 03-15-2014, 09:49 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
I swapped coils between a misfiring and a good cylinder today, and the misfire moved. So after a trip to the junkyard, I put in two "new" coils and the misfires are gone

This just leaves me with the speed sensor issue, and an the occasional lean on bank 1 code.

I did clean up the connection for a sensor on the rear of the transmission, hoping it would help, but it made no difference. If this is my problem sensor, it looks like it would be extremely hard to change, so I may just put a new sensor on the rear axle in hopes that the easier fix works.

I'll post back after I install the other parts I have on order.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:21 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
The "speed sensor" in a Superduty is the ABS sensor on the rear diff. Is the ABS light on?

It's somewhat easy (and dangerous) to check that sensor - put a digital volt meter set to AC volts on it, and spin the diff. It might be necessary to put the wheels in the air and spin it with the engine. As in, somewhat dangerous. You should see .100-.300 volts at the sensor with the diff spinning.

The lean code, check the PCV elbow at the throttle body, and definitely clean the MAF. If those check out, and the code keeps coming back, check the fuel pressure under load. Should be 38-40PSI at load, 28-30 at idle.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Been working on this truck little by little in the shop after work. I've been having trouble finding the time lately.

Just to update. I think I have the lean code fixed. I changed out the old PCV valve and elbow by the throttle body. I'm pretty sure that the old valve wasn't working, but the old elbow was OK. Since I already bought the replacement elbow, I went ahead and put the now one on. Man is that elbow a pain to get back on the throttle body

Also cleaned the throttle body. After doing both of these things, the lean code has not returned

The truck does seem to have more pick up now, but it still seems to have a rough idle. I'm still getting an occasional cyl 1 miss and a multiple cyl miss. Occasional meaning maybe 1-2 times a week if I drive it back and forth to work every day.

I'm planning on doing the plugs in the not to distant future.

Haven't tested the speed sensor yet, but the ABS light is indeed on. I thought that maybe that was due to the damaged/leaky sensor on the master cylinder though.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 AM
gfl
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like to run a bottle of techron or similar a tank or so before the plug change on a project like yours

Old 03-27-2014, 07:36 PM
SoYouCanSuperDuty
Junior User
Just picked up a 2000 F250 V10 about the same time you did. Looks like you had all it'll more work than mine. Had to change PCV Valve & Throttle adapter too, so I know that sucked. Awesome trucks though right?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Awesome indeed. I've really been enjoying the truck so far. Just did an oil change and put on a new fuel filter tonight.

I really was hoping to dig into a couple electrical problems this Saturday, but I had a good work opportunity come up. May have to put that off, but more money for truck parts is always a plus