1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Who's helping you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:54 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's helping you?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...167501&thumb=1

My granddaughter is always in the shop with me and is the only grandchild who has an interest in working on Floyd and helping Papa. Her brothers are into X Box so with her joyful interest in working with me, she is earning her way to her first vehicle. She's only ten but I can easily imagine giving Floyd to her for her 16th. birthday.

It occurred to me after I snapped this picture of her enjoying even the experience of being trapped up on the lift, that it would be very interesting to find out who helps you guys work on your trucks.

We're doing our part to bring a new generation in to this fantastic hobby.

Fred

Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 AM
fordf5
Senior User
I acquired a 1951 F5 for a father son project,,,but,,,,so far the only help I have received is from the great people here on FTE...
The truck was found while working a high school football game.
One of the other workers said he had an old "pickup truck" he would like to sell a 51,,,I told him I may be interested.
When we got home my 15 year old son researched the 51 F1 "pickup" and was super excited. When we went to look at it, it turned out to be an F5 and I saw the fire go out in him,,,he said "that thing is huge" . I made the deal with hopes he would come around,,but so far he still isn't interested, and I have learned over the years that interest can't be forced. I'm still hopin that he will come around, but since we got him a 2000 F150 4x4 I am doubting that it will happen.
........Roger

Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 760 Likes on 371 Posts
My youngest (9) is my biggest helper. My wife said a little while back that when I die (I wonder if she has plans?) that Sarah needs to get the truck since she has helped the most. My son is more interested in football and baseball. My oldest, well she isn't interested at all and she is away at college.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Im not old enough to have another generation helping me yet. My dad helps me when he has the chance though. Hes been really busy lately, so that doesnt happen very often. He does operate the crane though when i need to lift stuff off of the frame. I know he wants to help out more, i just hope he gets some extra down time so that he can.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:02 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't have anyone helping , Just the guys from around the neighborhood that stop to bullsxxxe when I am in the middle of something . Then there is someone or something that keeps hiding parts and tools . No matter how careful I am taking things apart and putting them away , their gone when I go to get them , and lets not forget the little helper that adds nuts and bolts to every project . I always end up with left overs and never can figure out where they go .

Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DR Smith
I don't have anyone helping. Then there is someone or something that keeps hiding parts and tools . No matter how careful I am taking things apart and putting them away , their gone when I go to get them , and lets not forget the little helper that adds nuts and bolts to every project . I always end up with left overs and never can figure out where they go .
Ditto on that! I seem to have the same helper.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:27 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My 2 son's and even my wife will all help out if I need it. My oldest will say "Hey dad. Can Kenny come over to help me sand the truck?" I tell him thanks, but we have a lot to do before bodywork. This summer, I'll let him start sanding some part's, then let him prime them. Good luck everyone.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:03 AM
gdub
Senior User
My Wife is supportive to a degree but she has never had any interest in helping. My son did a lot of work on the 52 but he and my daughter are both grown and moved out. So now it's just me and the dogs. This is my main helper in full attack mode.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:18 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My grandaughter Courtney has always been PaPaw's girl and always around when I was building Homade as she lived just down the street. If I needed help she was just a phone call away. Her name has been on the title since I put her on the road and will be hers when I'm gone or maybe before. Courtney is 22 now and have given me my first great grandson Cooper Jase and I have been telling her that Cooper is going to be real cool going to school in HIS truck when he turns 16, just burns her up, loving it.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:10 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
I do nearly all my work myself on my projects, but for this '51 truck I've been fortunate to have a real experienced gearhead help me at strategic times of the build. He is in his mid-sixties and is a local recluse of sorts. He almost never leaves his house (lives about a mile away) but will cheerfully come over if I ask him to help me figure something out. Way back in the early 70's he worked at a Ford parts counter and he has a genuine interest in old trucks. He is also self-taught on fuel systems, gear geometry, and machining. This guy can use his ear to determine if something is misaligned or the timing is off. He can spot an error I made and will make me learn for myself what I did wrong by pointing it out in the most insensitive but funny ways possible. I appreciate that a lot. That is how you learn.
Without his help I would not be as far along on the project and I certainly would have put the truck together backwards and broken a few things too.
He doesn't ask for anything in return except for a few games of cribbage and an extra big helping of wild turkey stew when I make that.
This summer if and when I get the truck on the road for the maiden voyage he will get the first ride behind the wheel.
That's my story.
Tom

Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My wife helps with bleeding the brakes, or installing glass, simple stuff, actually she would try anything if I asked. It would be nice if my son were interested , he is in his 30s and just never took an interest. When I tried to teach him basic car maintenance, and got him a basic socket set to build on to, uh uh. I would love to leave the truck to him when I go, but my wife loves it too, I don't know about that one.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:35 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Tom,
I really like your story! I also have your pic riding down your driveway with no cab & a lawn chair for a seat - as my desktop - nice. Looking good in Maine!

My 22 year old son Zack helps when he's not off at school drinking beer & chasing women. He fits much better under the car than I do.... He loves driving it.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
My daughter is my biggest helper to date. Even though she was more of a distraction then a helper... A couple of her friends say they want to help but haven't trusted any of them enough to have them help me...

Old 03-07-2014, 03:13 PM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
It's just me myself and I working on my 49'. Pulled the engine/trans with my little Kubota tractor and lifted the cab & box off with the same. Had the wife help bleed one brake just after I got the truck... 25 pumps later I went to the cab to see why I wasn't getting any brake fluid and she had been pumping the clutch. UGH

Old 03-07-2014, 03:44 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,821 Likes on 1,829 Posts
Originally Posted by DR Smith
Then there is someone or something that keeps hiding parts and tools . No matter how careful I am taking things apart and putting them away , their gone when I go to get them , and lets not forget the little helper that adds nuts and bolts to every project . I always end up with left overs and never can figure out where they go .
That sure is a busy little helper. They seem to spend quite a bit of time in my garage as well.

I do most of my work myself. Occasionally my younger son will come out and help a little here and there but not often. Oh sure, I drag him in when I need an extra hand to pull the front clip or bleed the brakes, etc, but its not often where he volunteers to hang out with the truck (unless I'm letting him drive....lol)

I do have a few buddy's that will help when needed or stop in and sip a cold one and provide much needed encouragement, but for the most part, its all me.

Bobby

Quick Reply: Who's helping you?