6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Replaced t-stat, now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:26 AM
Number21
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced t-stat, now won't start

I have an 04 F350. It's been bullet proofed and had the EGR removed. It's been running cold for a little while so I just changed the thermostat. I took it for a drive right after, everything fine, coolant temp back up to 200 or so. I was driving it hard to see how hot it would get, and then I lost power. The engine sounded the same, and I drove home another mile.

Turned it off and let it cool. It restarted, but cranked really long and died the first time. I drove it again and I had very little power.

Now it won't start at all. Cranks and cranks and cranks. No check engine light, I forgot to try and check for codes with my Scangauge.

Any ideas? I unhooked the fuel line from the filter housing to get the t-stat off. Could this have maybe caused a bubble in the fuel line? I also disconnected the EBP sensor. Have anything to do with that?

It seems kind of like a clogged fuel filter, but what would that have to do with changing the t-stat?

I have no idea what is wrong and the possibilities are making me sick.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:32 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing I can think of is you didn't get that fuel line hooked back up right. Sounds like your sucking air.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:37 AM
Number21
Senior User
Originally Posted by dannyboy950
The only thing I can think of is you didn't get that fuel line hooked back up right. Sounds like your sucking air.
Is there a trick I need to know about hooking it back up? I had a hell of a time getting it out. Very tight. Maybe I broke something? Or maybe it's not tight enough? How tight should that fitting be?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Number21
Is there a trick I need to know about hooking it back up? I had a hell of a time getting it out. Very tight. Maybe I broke something? Or maybe it's not tight enough? How tight should that fitting be?
check the condition of the o- ring on that fuel line that you removed.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Number21
Senior User
I'll take that connection back off and check it this evening when I get a chance. Is there anything I need to do to prime it after this?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
I'll take that connection back off and check it this evening when I get a chance. Is there anything I need to do to prime it after this?
No just turn to key on 2 or 3 times and let your fuel pump do the job. If it still does not crank you need to take off the fuel filter cap in the engine and have someone turn the key to on and see if your getting any bubbles.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is not so much how tight but your alignment of the mateing flange faces and cross threading the fitting.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:12 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Normally if you have a loose fuel line you will have a srtong diesel smell.

Sounds like an ICP sensor failure. Had the same thing a couple of weeks ago but it took my ICP 2 years to finally die. When it did it exhibited your same symptons. Your SG should tell you ICP pressure. If you can read the codes p2285 is the ICP fail code.

An oily ICP connector is another sign the ICP is tango uniform.

ED

Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 AM
Number21
Senior User
Originally Posted by DSMMH
Normally if you have a loose fuel line you will have a srtong diesel smell.
Actually it always smells like diesel, though I have never tracked down a leak. It did seem to smell a little stronger after the tstat.

I will give the ICP sensor a check tonight as well. I drove the truck probably 18 or so miles after the t-stat before it quit working.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:06 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
the EBT can cause a no start make sure you have a good connection there. But if you have a raw few smell you need to get that taken care of first wether that is your only problem or not. You didn't hear a pop did you? If you pop a cac boot off you will have low power as well. Also make sure you didn't bump the fan connection it can cause wierd things too.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The cmp harness runs right next to it as well, got sync?
Hows cmp omh out at the pcm?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Number21
Senior User
Originally Posted by 05F250DSL
You didn't hear a pop did you?
No, it sounded totally normal the whole time. I was at WOT when it just felt like I let off.

Is it ever normal for it to smell like diesel fuel under the hood? It has always smelled a little since I bought it 6 months ago. I thought maybe it was spillage from changing the fuel filter or something, have never been able to find a leak. Kind of like how an old carbureted truck always smells like gasoline.

I'll be working on the truck in the next few hours. I'm up late.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:33 PM
bodywerks
Senior User
No, it sounded totally normal the whole time. I was at WOT when it just felt like I let off.

Is it ever normal for it to smell like diesel fuel under the hood? It has always smelled a little since I bought it 6 months ago. I thought maybe it was spillage from changing the fuel filter or something, have never been able to find a leak. Kind of like how an old carbureted truck always smells like gasoline.

I'll be working on the truck in the next few hours. I'm up late.
What fuel line did you need to disconnect to get the thermostat? I didn't have to disconnect any fuel line on my '06 when I did mine, that I can remember...
But if it was the main fuel feed line there are two copper washers on each side of the banjo fitting - make sure they were both installed, and properly. and yes that banjo fitting was tight! The return line and both the fuel rail feed lines are o-ringed fittings, so you need to either replace those o-rings or at least make sure you don't damage them and ensure they're installed prior to reconnecting.
On your fuel smell before, and even more so after, it's your fuel pressure regulator cover leaking most likely - common. If you haven't done it yet, get yourself the blue spring mod kit. It increases your fuel pressure and also gives you a new regulator cover and gasket. I was having fuel smell issues prior to doing my oil cooler, egr delete, blue spring mod, etc., and rebuilding the regulator seemed to be the fix, as the fuel smell is gone.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
The cmp harness runs right next to it as well, got sync?
Hows cmp omh out at the pcm?
Listen to what Cheezit is saying and get some live data. This does not
sound like a fuel leak problem. Do you have something like the SGII?
Like I just said LIVE DATA is what you need to be looking at.

Sean

Old 03-05-2014, 04:29 AM
Number21
Senior User
Originally Posted by bodywerks
But if it was the main fuel feed line there are two copper washers on each side of the banjo fitting - make sure they were both installed, and properly.
Are there copper washers missing in this picture? This is what I disconnected. Never found any washers.

I didn't take off the adapter fitting that goes into the fuel filter before, but I just did, and the O ring looks pretty bad. I'll get a new one tomorrow. Whoever designed this fuel line was an ***.

If it was sucking air, would the fuel filter bowl be empty? There was about 1/2" of fuel in there. How much is normally in there?

Quick Reply: Replaced t-stat, now won't start