Why do you like racing? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

General Automotive Discussion

Why do you like racing?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Postmaster

ford2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud of
Why do you like racing?

Hi,
This is a serious question -- although I do want to restrict it to NASCAR, F1, and NHRA (mainly top fuel). I'm not being critical of any of it, I'm just wondering.

I get that it's competition, but for the most part, the competition is driver prep and pit crew. At least that's how it seems to me.

In years gone by, the cars themselves were more variable. NASCAR (when they had 'stock' cars) was famous for that 'win on Sunday sell on Monday ' stuff.

But now that seems to be pretty much out of the picture. Maybe F1 is less restrictive, I don't know, but the other 2 formats seem pretty tight.

It's often stated that the rules are there to keep costs down, and probably that's true. I just find the sameness a bit of a downer.

But, there are a lot of folks around here who pretty much love racing, so please be so kind as to relate why it cranks you up.

Thanks,

hj
Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Postmaster

galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Could care less about Neckcar, or F1. Just have to shake my head when they have a rain delay. I like Road racing and will watch NHRA when on TV. I like the Grand AM racing because it is as close to "real" cars as you are going to get. Mustangs, Camaro's, Ferrari's, Porches, prototypes etc etc all racing at the same time in different brackets that actually race whether it is raining or not and over a set period of time not some arbitrary lap number. Also nice when they do more than just hang a left the whole time.

Heck a few years ago they had a few Porsche Cayenne's racing the same race that a few Ford GT's were running in can't get any better than that.

Neckcar, F1 and even NHRA for the most part are all the same cars underneath and just no variety either in the course or the cars. 4 wide NHRA and the one road course the Neckcars run is about the only variety they have.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:37 PM
New User

espreza is starting off with a positive reputation.
I myself drive Super Miata competition series in SoCal. On top of performance of the car, strategy is also crucial, especially for endurance races.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:54 AM
Post Fiend

cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.
I LOVE dirt racing,but NASCAR works in a pinch when there is no DIRT available!! because dirt racing is about the low buck driver with not a lot of money but a love for competition.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
24 Hours of LeMons, LaMons, and rally racing. I dropped cable when Speed dropped WRC, now I just watch it online. The LeMons is great for low-buck racing and there is some pretty funny stuff. LaMons is great for multi-class racing, and interesting tech, while rallys are just awesome, especially in the snow. The best thing, of course, is that they do more than just turn left and push the gas pedal.......
Old 03-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Carpenter Local 745

khadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud of
Off Road racing is what I like to watch. There are more different series out there now and there seams to be

more coverage of these events.

The trucks also seem to have different set ups. It is amazing to watch the suspension travel as the trucks speed

across the rough terrain.

Many ʻsuperstarʻ motocross racers are finding a second racing career on FOUR wheels.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
I just love these racin' threads were sooooooooooooo many reply with little more than to bash NASCAR. Its funny their "reasons" for disdain are quite weak IMHO---almost sounds like jealousy issues!

I've known of NASCAR since '59 when Daytona International Speedway made its debut. In about '63 or so my dad was stunned a Studebaker could and did run a whopping 140MPH in mostly stock trim on that track---he was impressed both by Studebaker and the track.

I attended my first Daytona 500 in '80, they were running 200MPH+ average lap speeds, hitting a good 235MPH into turn three. In those days you could go to the track race day, get a decent seat AND park on the track grounds---try that now!

Back then it was possible to stand by the wall and fence along the front stretch, presumably for photo ops mostly to experience what 30 or 40 cars doing 200MPH zipping past you was really like, how it compared to the camera views of broadcast of the time. There was simply no comparision, its a sensation you never forget as a motorhead.

The cars were state-of-the-art for 1965! Relatively simple, more closely resembled true stock cars although the bodies and chassis were almost entirely purpose-built by then. Independent teams without huge sponsorship's could and did run and win---Alan Kulwicki's team winning the Winston Cup Series trophy award was truly a cool thing---he'd beaten a lot of better funded teams as a team owner AND driver----a rare thing today, doubtful such a feat will ever be repeated.

Back then you run whatcha brung, more than one deep pocket teams were sent packing if they couldn't qualify for that week's race. Action on the track was nail biting, a lot of "frammin' & bammin' " as Dale Sr used to call it. It was something to see, two or more good ole boys bumping and banging on one another for position at 200MPH.

I could go on forever but won't----racin' to me of ANY sort is interesting, even horses. The quality that makes a good driver (or rider) is the same across the different types. Accents, native languages, behavior in public might differ but scratch just below those on-air personas and you've got the same kind of human being no matter what he or she is in at the moment.

Peace out!