1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What do you enjoy doing most

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you enjoy doing most

Reading some of the posts on here you find that different members enjoy different aspects of our hobby so, what do you enjoy most? For me it's probably the planning of what I want to do. As far a construction it would be the mechanical followed by the electrical ( I know I'm probably the only one). Friends bring me in for the mechanical and electrical but also to help clean up the look under the hood, lots of satisfaction in helping out.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:54 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
I LOVE putting doors back together after paint. I really feel like I accomplished something when assembling the doors. Then I like putting the dashes back after paint.

Its the finer details that make or break a truck, I hate masked off windshield rubbers, but then again I like installing glass.

I like mechanical, but not as much.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:54 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Mike,
Nice topic. The other day when I was laying under my truck trying to figure out where and how to mount my steering box I was thinking to myself that messing around with old trucks was a stupid hobby. You're always grimy and dirty with bloodied hands and busted knuckles, splinters of metal that have to be carved out of your hands with razors, welding burns, etc. while scrounging wrecking yards and parts houses trying to find a way to convince Part A to work with Part B or fumbling around in the shed trying to find that one little elusive part that your remember putting in there 10 years ago....all in all, a stupid hobby....LOL I love it.

I really enjoy making things work together. I'm not one of those order everything from a catalog type guys. I get a nice sense of accomplishment when I tackle some new aspect on my truck and get it done. I too enjoy electrical work. I'm not super huge on body work but that's because I don't have much experience with it. I'm going to be getting better at it because I can't afford to have someone do it for me.

But, whats even better than all of that, is driving the old truck. I love to drive it.

Bobby

Old 02-22-2014, 03:15 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Honestly, I like the hunt for parts. Going to swap meets and bringing home parts trucks. I really like tearing into an old vehicle and finding odds things like crappy repairs and items that belongs to some one 40-50-60 years ago.

I like doing pretty much everything on my old vehicles, mechanical, electrical and body and paint work. Nothing is more exciting than peeling off the masking tape and paper the day after laying a coat of paint on a vehicle, old or newer.

I also like talking old trucks and cars. I don't have many other interests other than my old vehicles and I have made some pretty good friends in the last 35+ years through the old car hobby.

What I really don't like is all the nit picky things that some of you like, like final assembly, installing little parts and trim pieces. I get too impatient and want to get in and drive.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
, I hate masked off windshield rubbers, but then again I like installing glass.
Better you than me. I'm as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs when I do glass.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:32 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the paint work. Sanding/masking/and more sanding.....takes patience and a keen eye, and I think driving my trucks are the best part.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:33 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I mostly like the learning, and I am always doing that. Over the past 5 years working on Edith I have learned a lot, but am still unsure of myself on various mechanical items. Unlike a lot of guys, I am fairly comfortable doing electrical, be it on the truck or in the house or shop, although I don't always understand it all. I really found the most comfort and satisfaction doing the wood work. I spent nearly a year building and installing the bed on Edith and although there were mistakes and flaws I am still proud of what I was able to accomplish on my FIRST woodworking project like that.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Giesterfarher™
Senior User
For me, it's the planning and fabrication. I love making something belong, that was never intended to belong, and make it operate properly.
I'm at the end of the planning stage on my 53, but my last big project was a 1979 Scout II Traveler. It was bone stock when I got it, and 9 years later when I was done with it, it had parts from pretty much every domestic auto and truck manufacturer, including White and Kenworth, and some import stuff too.

The part I hate is the paint. More accurately, I hate taking care of nice paint. I figure, if it runs and drives right, it doesn't have to be shiny. But no amount of shiny will make it run and drive right. I get a charge out of popping the hood on an average every day looking vehicle and having people take a step back in shock.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:13 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love fabricating something different, especially when it works.
I also like putting things together - not so much taking them apart. I also like learning new things, many from this forum.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
I LOVE putting doors back together after paint. I really feel like I accomplished something when assembling the doors. Then I like putting the dashes back after paint.

Its the finer details that make or break a truck, I hate masked off windshield rubbers, but then again I like installing glass.

I like mechanical, but not as much.
Man, I should have invited you down when I did my windows!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:20 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I like doing something that I've never done before. I love my truck, but I doubt that I'll ever do another 53-56 Ford truck.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:30 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I like the overall process resulting in a driving vehicle. Bringing something back from the grave, then driving around the country in it, knowing I fixed it, makes the trip something special. Three of my four vehicles are "rescue projects".

Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I like it all in smaller doses...... it seems like all of gets monotonous towards the end of that phase.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:00 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Anything I do to my truck gives me a world of satisfaction. I worked as a mechanic for the better part of my life, mostly working on other people's special interest vehicle's. I've been wrench free for 10yrs now, and it's my turn to enjoy working on my own truck. Better as a hobby than a job.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess I enjoy putting stuff together that was never intended to fit and usually off a totally different brand of vehicle. Spend a lot time in salvage yards with a camera and tape measure looking for something neat to incorporate in my build.

A lot of satisfaction in picking up a sheet of steel and when you get through cutting and welding.....it fits, it looks right and it works.

And like mentioned earlier, nothing like peeling away masking tape and paper to reveal that new paint job after all that hammering, welding, grinding, sanding, priming, and sanding-priming some more.

Quick Reply: What do you enjoy doing most