Sponsored by:

2003 Excursion Limited Sputtering and Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:29 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nstubbert
The last time this happened (about a month ago) it did the same exact thing...it was shuttering, stalling and the OD light was flashing. I brought it into the shop and the only code they got was a misfire code....I put some dry gas in before I dropped it off at the shop. I don't know if that fixed it or not, but I had no problems until yesterday and now the same thing....shuttering, stalling and OD light flashing...it doesn't make sense to me at all.
If the OD light was flashing it has transmission codes and even some local shops don't have the equipment to read those. Dealers do and some shops, but they have to know the OD light was flashing and ask before you go if they can read "transmission codes", if it were me I would pay a transmission shop to find out what codes are there before I spent another dollar on fixing any issues you might have with coil packs.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:57 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sammie0126
If the OD light was flashing it has transmission codes and even some local shops don't have the equipment to read those. Dealers do and some shops, but they have to know the OD light was flashing and ask before you go if they can read "transmission codes", if it were me I would pay a transmission shop to find out what codes are there before I spent another dollar on fixing any issues you might have with coil packs.
But sputtering and stalling has nothing to do with the trans and since the trans is working fine I would address the boots first since a miss can ruin the catalytic converter from overheating.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:59 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Originally Posted by EXv10
But sputtering and stalling has nothing to do with the trans and since the trans is working fine I would address the boots first since a miss can ruin the catalytic converter from overheating.
He's got an OD light then he's got transmission codes. I would want to know what they are before I did anything else. But that's just me.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:05 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
You will see where the 2 plastic pieces come together after you take the long soft rubber piece off. They leave a gap between them about 1/4" +- so just glue something across that gap (plastic, metal, anything), now use any sealer you have laying around on it. (I used some tub sealer in a tube). The water goes UNDER the long rubber piece.
Here is his thread on the fix
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12209418

Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM
nstubbert
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But the OD light isn't flashing anymore???

Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
But the OD light isn't flashing anymore???
But it did flash. Something caused it too, and that is the CEL of your transmission, CTL aka check transmission light.

Something made it go off and it probably wasn't a coil pack. You have hesitation and stuttering problems, you keep replacing coils and problem keeps coming back; maybe the problem isn't in your engine?

If you want to replace a couple more coils hoping that fixes your problem you can do that, but that light is trying to tell you there is a recorded "code" from the transmission, that code will tell you error that occurred.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
But it did flash. Something caused it too, and that is the CEL of your transmission, CTL aka check transmission light.

Something made it go off and it probably wasn't a coil pack. You have hesitation and stuttering problems, you keep replacing coils and problem keeps coming back; maybe the problem isn't in your engine?

If you want to replace a couple more coils hoping that fixes your problem you can do that, but that light is trying to tell you there is a recorded "code" from the transmission, that code will tell you error that occurred.
I'm just saying he probably has 2 problems and I am always against replacing coils unless totally necessary.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:17 PM
nstubbert
Junior User

Then why did the OD light stop flashing?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Maybe just a glitch. If the trans works fine I would concentrate on the boots. Mine did that one day and never again and my trans still shifts perfectly.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:12 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
You can find out why by just waiting, be patient and hope it happens a warm, dry, convenient place.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
You can find out why by just waiting, be patient and hope it happens a warm, dry, convenient place.
When mine flashed that one day I had visions of replacing the trans and yes it kinda wrecked my day so now I just kinda keep my fingers crossed.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:45 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
When mine flashed that one day I had visions of replacing the trans and yes it kinda wrecked my day so now I just kinda keep my fingers crossed.
Even when the OD light was flashing there were no problems with the transmission. Last year when this happened I took it to my mechanic and he read a torque converter on the diagnostic so he replaced to torque converter and didn't touch the coil pack or boot (even though I told him that was the problem). He called me and told me it was fixed and to come get it. After paying about $500 for the repair I started it up and went to back up and it stalled again and the OD light flashed as well.....I told him "I told you so." He fixed the coil pack and boot and no more problems until this winter. Seems to happen only when it's wet out. So I'm thinking building that bridge is the way to go.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:33 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Even when the OD light was flashing there were no problems with the transmission. Last year when this happened I took it to my mechanic and he read a torque converter on the diagnostic so he replaced to torque converter and didn't touch the coil pack or boot (even though I told him that was the problem). He called me and told me it was fixed and to come get it. After paying about $500 for the repair I started it up and went to back up and it stalled again and the OD light flashed as well.....I told him "I told you so." He fixed the coil pack and boot and no more problems until this winter. Seems to happen only when it's wet out. So I'm thinking building that bridge is the way to go.
It is the way to go and clean all the holes out too. I put heavy grease around the outside tops of all the new boots also to further eliminate any any chance of water getting in (easy too). Some might say the grease softens the rubber over time but so what? It's way worth it and makes it easier to seat the boots also. It has been water/debris free for 3 years now and runs like a champ. I think those flashes can be a glitch. Yours seems to do it when you have missing problems, but it is supposed to be a trans only thing.
I'm surprised Ford didn't catch that leak when they water tested the body. (I used to work on an assembly line).

Old 02-21-2014, 08:23 PM
nstubbert
Junior User
It is the way to go and clean all the holes out too. I put heavy grease around the outside tops of all the new boots also to further eliminate any any chance of water getting in (easy too). Some might say the grease softens the rubber over time but so what? It's way worth it and makes it easier to seat the boots also. It has been water/debris free for 3 years now and runs like a champ. I think those flashes can be a glitch. Yours seems to do it when you have missing problems, but it is supposed to be a trans only thing.
I'm surprised Ford didn't catch that leak when they water tested the body. (I used to work on an assembly line).
I did the "bridge" fix today. I used a piece of sheet metal to create the bridge and hopefully it works.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:51 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
I did the "bridge" fix today. I used a piece of sheet metal to create the bridge and hopefully it works.
Great, I hope you caulked it good too. It will work because that is where the water gets through.