Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP PLEASE-spark plug blowout

Old 02-13-2014, 06:03 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP PLEASE-spark plug blowout

I'm 2 hours from home #10 spark plug blew out I pulled the injector cable and coil cable is it safe to drive home that way?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it'll be loud as hell, but with no gas washing the cylinder it should be ok, slow n steady.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:21 PM
icentropy
Senior User
60 more miles to go. Monitoring codes with a obdii setup and so far gotten a "bank 2 too lean" and missfiring on cylinders 2,5 and 10 (10 being the one with no plug).

Old 02-13-2014, 08:32 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You can drive like that, it's just noisy.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:09 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's kinda weird why it say 2 5 and 10. Some one really need to design a computer that actually reads the engine

Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope you make it without any issues. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:36 AM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That sucks. My Crown Vic blew a plug on me a few years ago as I was getting on the highway in a snow storm. I drove the ~20 miles home with the injector still connected and made it... hopefully you made it ok too

Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince79vette
That's kinda weird why it say 2 5 and 10. Some one really need to design a computer that actually reads the engine
It's not weird, IIRC cylinders 2 and 5 are next to each other in the firing order, making it hard to isolate. And with cylidner 10 existing as a giant air pump flooding the exhaust with oxygen the PCM is going to think that the entire bank is running far too lean. Which is going to cause bank 2 fuel trims to spike as the PCM adds fuel attempting to correct a false lean condition. Running that rich can cause misfires.

ON edit: I was a little off. Cylinders 2 and 10 are next to each other in the firing order, so the PCM is confusing those two.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:19 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Made it to my sisters house by Seattle. Made it here without too much trouble. Got some strange vibrations depending on the rpms. Tomorrow is the end of the trip home. 6 hrs with this thing going over two passes. I'm a bit worried but a local mechanic quoted me $1600 to pull the head and fix the plug. If I can get it home, I'm going to team and tap the head on the truck with the good kit instead of the cheap dorman fix kit.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by icentropy
Made it to my sisters house by Seattle. Made it here without too much trouble. Got some strange vibrations depending on the rpms. Tomorrow is the end of the trip home. 6 hrs with this thing going over two passes. I'm a bit worried but a local mechanic quoted me $1600 to pull the head and fix the plug. If I can get it home, I'm going to team and tap the head on the truck with the good kit instead of the cheap dorman fix kit.
Yeesh...that's a bad idea. You may be buying a new catalytic converter by that point, running rich on the right bank for that long is gonna do some BAD things.

If you absolutely must drive it home, get underneath and unplug the upstream oxygen sensor on that bank. That'll force the engine to run open loop without falsely enrichening the mixture on that bank.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:02 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I would come up with a different alternative. Driving it that far seems too likely to do damage. Ironically mine blew one out last night. I keep a kit I got from O'Reilly right in the truck. Fixed it and drove it home. Hopefully it lasts the one I did on my excursion was still holding when I got rid of it.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:34 PM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
$1600? The guy who bought my Crown Vic had a $60 helicoil kit and it took him like 45 minutes... he bought it 2 years ago and still drives it everyday.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:38 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel like for 1600 u can just buy a brand new head for that

Old 02-19-2014, 01:10 PM
icentropy
Senior User
well we made it home. It did well and got us back safely. She's a good truck. We just pulled in last night and the next couple of days will be very full days at work so i'll have to let the X rest for a few till i have a chance to dig into it. Things i've learned is the dorman kit is strictly a temp fix. It's completely dependent on the condition of the already messed up threads so there's almost no way to tell if it'll hold for a minute, a day, a month or a year. What i did run into is that the plug that comes with it (Autolite HT1) is complete garbage. it's fries itself in a few hundred miles. There's a cross referenced plug that can be substituted (Champion 7989) that worked well. If i had know that to begin with it's possible that the kit would have held. BUT the temps produced by the autolite literally melted the plug and part of the adapter and i'm sure a section on the threads of the head as well so it's no surprise it blew out after another 800 miles. The thing i did notice is that on that blow-out, both the plug and the adapter were in perfect shape so that was strictly due to the threads on the head failing.

I'm certain the only path forward is buying the correct repair kit and attempting it at home without removing the head on the #10 cylinder. It's not going to be easy back there.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Things i've learned is the dorman kit is strictly a temp fix.
Posted this in your plug thread back in 2013.

I just purchased...and a Dorman 42025 thread repair kit.

I know, I'm taking the cheap route. I bow my head to receive the blows.
Don't do it. Cancel your order.

Cheap is not always best. Cheap can be good and effective, but when it comes to your engine running correctly, I wouldn't use that Dorman garbage. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12995926

Don't cheap out on your engine bro.

Stewart

Stewart

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE-spark plug blowout