6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

06 stroker gells, 06 dodge doesn't...why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 AM
1 Ton Tommy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 stroker gells, 06 dodge doesn't...why?

Hey all. Been fighting a problem with gelling. Changed filters a month ago. Use #2 diesel (no bio) with a triple treatment dose of sure flow. My truck has gelled up a second time this winter. The truck runs fine until I head down the road. Does the fuel line routing from the tank on these trucks make them more susceptible to gelling on the road? I have talked to my fuel salesman, and he is at his wits end as well. He used to sell Fords! I have used 911, and it is in my heated shop overnight at 45 degrees. I am assuming I will be good to go. The reason I ask about the fuel lines is that my Dad's Dodge is running on the same fuel without incident. This is like salt in an open wound!

Old 02-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Monty Simmons
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As we all know, "gelling" is a temperature issue as the wax in diesel fuel gels when the temperature drops to or below the fuel's gel point.

If the same fuel gels in a first environment and does not gel in a second environment, then the first environment is clearly colder than the second, AND, the first environment is at or below the gel point of the fuel and the second environment is above the gel point.

Thus, either the Ford environment makes the fuel colder compared to the Dodge environment OR the Dodge environment heats the fuel.

Or

Perhaps the fuel gels in both vehicles and the Dodge is less susceptible to gelled fuel.

The first thing I would do is put some fuel in a glass jar and put the jar in the bed of my truck to see if it gels.

I would also check the filters of the Ford and the Dodge to look for signs of gelling. If there is gelling at the Ford filter and not at the Dodge filter, you have your answer. If there is gelling at both, then the Dodge is less simply less susceptible.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:19 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Ton Tommy
Hey all. Been fighting a problem with gelling. Changed filters a month ago. Use #2 diesel (no bio) with a triple treatment dose of sure flow. My truck has gelled up a second time this winter. The truck runs fine until I head down the road. Does the fuel line routing from the tank on these trucks make them more susceptible to gelling on the road? I have talked to my fuel salesman, and he is at his wits end as well. He used to sell Fords! I have used 911, and it is in my heated shop overnight at 45 degrees. I am assuming I will be good to go. The reason I ask about the fuel lines is that my Dad's Dodge is running on the same fuel without incident. This is like salt in an open wound!
My fuel has never gelled even in single digit temps while being parked outside and not using a block heater or any anti gel treatment, I would have to say it is where you are buying your fuel. What area of the country do you live?

Old 02-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Did both trucks get their fuel from the same station?

Old 02-08-2014, 07:32 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Ton Tommy
It would appear so.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Double post

Old 02-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
It would appear so.
I need more coffee....I forgot injectors on the other thread and missed the "same fuel" on this one.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:57 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,732 Posts
Some things that might make a difference (since you say it happens when driving):

1. If there is a larger circuation flow in the Dodge fuel system, then it may be impacted less by low temperatures when driving.
2. Our HFCMs used to have a heater, then it was removed. maybe the Dodge has a heater?
3. Even the plumbing on the recirculation system can make a difference. If the fuel is heated as it is pumped (and even the pump will add some heat) and if some heated fuel is returned to the tank, then that can make a difference.
4. The Dodge's use a high pressure fuel pump. That pump will add quite a bit of heat.

All-in-all, it seems as if you are getting bad fuel - unless you are well below zero (or the fuel suppliers aren't treating it like they should).

Old 02-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
It has been way below 0 here every morning for most of the winter and not one problem with any of our diesels. In fact I am getting ready to head out to make some fire wood with the 6.0 and it is -17 outside right now and the 6.0 has off road summer diesel in it yet.

In all my years I have never ever experienced gelled diesel personally. I have heard about it lots, other companies we deal with have it happen, But never us for some reason, I guess we are lucky!

One company we deal with the owner said he had 4 trucks gel up in one day.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:51 AM
1 Ton Tommy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, had to feed the cows. Both trucks fill from the same gravity flow barrel. Neither of us have purchased fuel off the farm for years. I wonder if the additives I put in are not as effective as those of you who get 50 degree fuel from underground storage? I have heard that unless the antigel products are added prior to fuel cooling to cloud point, they don't work.

I took the Ford out of the heated shop and drove it 10 miles. I purchased and added power service in the white bottle, and drove it back home without incident. It has been -10 to -20 here all week. I hope you can't add too much of these products!