Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 XL build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Inline6xl
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually got them from Walmart. Glad it's just the clutch but that is still a lot Of money. Going to start looking for a replacement. So far zoom and ram sound good for the price. Just wish I had more tools and clutch experience trying to decide If I want to attempt it or not

Old 02-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Inline6xl
Junior User
Well this is the clutch I will be going with the luk pro gold clutch

1995-97 4.9L 11" LUK Pro Gold clutch kit

Heard they are pretty good. Also replacing he rear main seal and seal at the transfer case and internal slave cylinder. Anyone upgrading to the 11 inch clutch before? If so did it make a huge difference

Old 02-16-2014, 09:26 AM
FuglyF100
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Inline6xl
Well this is the clutch I will be going with the luk pro gold clutch

1995-97 4.9L 11" LUK Pro Gold clutch kit

Heard they are pretty good. Also replacing he rear main seal and seal at the transfer case and internal slave cylinder. Anyone upgrading to the 11 inch clutch before? If so did it make a huge difference
In my opinion, that's a lot of clutch for just an inline-6 stock truck. You can get a regular clutch for half that price. As far as upgrading to a larger clutch, you will have to have the flywheel surfaced if you do. No real point in all that, unless money is no object to you...

Old 02-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Inline6xl
Junior User
I'm getting it resurfaced. I've had trouble finding one cheaper that fits. Besides the zoom ones

Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 PM
FuglyF100
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting it resurfaced. I've had trouble finding one cheaper that fits. Besides the zoom ones
Definitely not putting you down. That's a fine clutch if you want to lay the money out for it and will definitely last a long time.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Inline6xl
Junior User
Thanks. Probably going with that one. I was going to do it myself but I don't have the tools time or space. Found a shop that quoted me 600 if I bring the clutch set and they will replace the internal slave cylinder (ford). Rear main seal and the transmission to transfer case seal along with the shifter bushings with a 3 year warranty. That will probably my biggest project on it for a while.still need to buy spark plugs,wires,brake pads, and rotors. Waiting for a nice day to do the oil, coolant and seafoam. Then maybe the diff fluid. As far as cosmetics go I'm paint matching the grill and headlight bezels. Looking for new seats and a console(or just a bench seat console). Next year headlights tail lights and hopefully wheels. Looked into gears seems pretty straight forward. The parts list is the front and rear ring and pinion. And new differential carriers

Old 02-16-2014, 03:38 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gears are not "straight forward". They require a lot of patience to setup and check.
Why do you think you need new differentials. Are you buying lockers or what.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:25 PM
Inline6xl
Junior User
I currently have non posi. And 3.08s limit my tire size. I was wanting limited slip for the off-roading in sand and mud. But I'm not in a hurry to get them.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I currently have non posi. And 3.08s limit my tire size. I was wanting limited slip for the off-roading in sand and mud. But I'm not in a hurry to get them.
No Fords have posi. "Posi" (short for Positraction) is a GM trade name. Ford limited slips are called Trac Lock.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Smoke smell: Have you cleaned all the windows yet? Had smoker's cars that I thought had tinted windows but were covered in smoke residue. Try CLR or make your own cleaner w/ 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water and use 000 steel wool, final clean w/ window cleaner & newspaper. Check the seals & gaskets around the windows, someone else could have cleaned windows well, but left sludge in gaskets & seals. Use CLR on all 'hard' surfaces, pull seat & floor covering & clean outside of truck, clean the floor while stuff is out. Pull ashtray assembly out of dash & check the underside of dash for leftovers from an overloaded ashtray.
How is the steering wheel & steering after new tires & alignment? If still out probably the TTB front axel needs a rebuild of bushings, pivots, etc. If you have your heart set on a regear of both axels start looking for used axels on CL or @ a local u-pull-it yard or a cheap parts truck, could do a SAS if you wish.
Wheels: paint them already!!!
Clutch: any adjustment in current set up (IDK)?
Coolant: Flush & add an external coolant filter.
Tune-up: Quality parts!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Inline6xl
Junior User
Yea the wheels need to get done. Just been sick.where would I get an external coolant filter and where in the system is the best spot. As for the smoke smell I'm in the process of removing the purple tint and scrubbing the floors seat and dash

Old 02-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Inline6xl
Junior User
Well just ordered the clutch from bronco graveyard. The luk pro gold clutch since they don't have the standard luk clutch. Hopefully once it's up and running 100% I can start he cosmetic and mods. More then likely selling the toolbox to a friend and getting a chest toolbox to mount my fishing pole rack I'm building to. What's everyone's opinion on Roll on Bed liner. Vs the stock plastic insert. I pulled my stock out and only found a little bit of surface rust that I'm going to clean off and prime for now. Thinking about herculiner Roll on kit since spray on will cost an outrageous amount. Also was debating under coating myself or roll I. Bed liner in place of undercoating since their is only a bit of surface rust on the frame ends. To prevent any future rust. Still debating the head lights and tail lights since I dislike the ebay projector look but really would like a nice one piece light. As for tail lights might just polish up the factory's and pull them to seal them up since I have water in those as well

Old 02-18-2014, 02:42 PM
BAMAGRAD1995
New User
Some one tell me how to post a thread in this dang forum. I have a million questions about where to find parts for my 1996 F-150 Reg Cab 4X4 4.9L 5spd.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by BAMAGRAD1995
Some one tell me how to post a thread in this dang forum. I have a million questions about where to find parts for my 1996 F-150 Reg Cab 4X4 4.9L 5spd.
On the forum page hit the "new thread" button above the list of threads.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:06 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Search for how dieselbrad reccomends to do bed liner. He has a solid method that is durable. He's a top notch restorer, and does stuff right.
But I say if you don't mind stuff sliding around, and there's minimal rust under the plastic liner, just keep it in there.

Quick Reply: 1996 XL build thread