Sponsored by: DP Tuner

e99 7.3l pedestal oil return on block

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM
ed_stoner38
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e99 7.3l pedestal oil return on block

This morning I posted a question and didn't get any replies. With the number of people who have removed their turbo pedestal I was hoping that someone would answer my question. It seems like half the people on this forum have had their tubo pedestal off! My question is that when I pulled the pedestal off the engine block both the supply and return lines were both full to the top with oil. My question, is it normal for the return oil line to be full. I thought it drained directly to the oil valley under the cover plate and gravity drained back to the sump. I'm sure with all the knowledge and experience on this site someone can tell me if it is normal for the return oil line to be full when pulling the pedestal off the engine block. Please help I'm afraid to put a rebuilt turbo back on the engine if the return line has a blockage. Thanks in advance for some help.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:13 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
I don't remember their being oil in mine when i rebuilt the EBV actuator. But that was also a few years ago. Why did you rebuild the turbo in the first place?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 PM
ed_stoner38
New User
possible oil return line blockage

I was pulling away from a stop sign and a big burst of black smoke poured out of the exhaust. After that the turbo wouldn't spool up, I thought it was the EBPV stuck shut because it sounded like it was sucking air when I tried to spool the turbo, also a total lack of power and oil leak down the back of the engine from the top. Then when I had everything apart I started thinking why would there be oil in the return line if it was just open to the oil valley below. Also that burst of black smoke was a one time deal and I had a suspicion that one of the oil lines may have had a momentary clog. If the oil return is clogged could that starve the turbo bearing of oil and cause it not to spool up. Other than these symptoms the truck doesn't burn oil or smoke. It's just tht the turbo doesn't spool up and there is a total lack of power. The only thing that puzzles me is that the oil return hole is so big I can't imagine anything that big passing thru the turbo without blowing it up. Also, I don't know the exact flow path for the return or if there is some sort of pressure regulator.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:39 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ED you make some very good points and I do not remember any oil being backed up when I switched my pedestal to a blank one. Now when you rebuilt the turbo was there any pieces of the turbo seal or bearing missing also was there any of the ebpv actuator valve missing? Honestly I have no clue as to where the turbo oil return goes but it could pass thru a cam bearing or something before going to the pan. Maybe put some air pressure to it BUT if there is a piece of something in there you could make matters worse. So make sure all pieces are accounted for and use a hose and see if you can suck the oil out? I'm spitting in the wind here?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I removed mine this summer to replace the O-rings on the pedestal and did not have any oil pouring out. Not sure what this means but hope this helps.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:51 AM
greg_8507
Elder User
I'm not to sure on the inner workings of the pedestal, shouldn't be too complex. All you have are other than the oil passages are the EBV actuator and the solenoid that controls it. I would think you could probably take some WD-40 and/or compressed air and clean it out.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:58 AM
ed_stoner38
New User
Thanks to everyone for the input. I think part of a seal or something small would be the only real option as to something blocking the return passage in the engine block. I hope the engine block oil return passage isn't to long before it comes to whatever is holding the oil in the passage. I'm going to try and clear the passage out and then feel around or blow air into it as BadDogKuzz suggested. If I can get the valley cover off I'll try that too but I haven't looked at it yet as to accessability. I didn't notice any parts/pieces when I took the turbo and pedestal off the block but if the oil return on the block goes to a cam bearing it wouldn't have to be very big to block the passage.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Mowing Man
Elder User
I've had 4 turbos off in the past, and I don't remember ever seeing any oil in the ports on the pedestal. I was a little hesitant to answer this thread at first because I never specifically looked in the passages to see if there was oil, but the more I think about it, the more sure I am that there was no oil up to the top of the pedestal, or even the top of the block with the pedestal off. In all fairness though, 3 of the 4 times were with the engine out, so oil would have been drained already... So there's my input for what's it worth.