Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Crystal Clean Clutterless Carefree CCV

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:04 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,754 Posts
Crystal Clean Clutterless Carefree CCV

Catchy?

Freely admitting my alliteration hooks aren't a tenth as tantalizing as Tugly's, he hasn't posted a new one in 23 hours, and I was having withdrawals.

While taking a photo of my hose over hardline to protect the hot side CAC, I thought I would snap a pic of my "clean install" of a CCV mod. I can't take credit for it. Racor designed it. And then re-designed it again. Racor was specifically asked to come up with a solution that would gravity drain back into the valve cover, which eliminates a whole lot of maintenance and monitoring issues endemic to home brew remote catch cans.

This thing FILTERS, boy howdy. There is NO oil mist that gets past this baby. There are two other important features this unit contains.

1. Built in restriction monitor (see the red dot in the center)
2. Built in restriction bypass incorporated into the design. So even if the monitor is ignored, the unit will bypass.

I can't stress enough the how stress free this unit is, as far as draining back into the valve cover, just like the original dog house.

Finally, it functions just like the factory intended. You can see the hose on the left hand side pulling the clean filtered vapors from the top of the filter housing into the original CCV inlet of the fresh air intake duct.

Everything about this kit is clean. Clean air outside the truck, clean air inside the intake stream, clean clutterless installation. It will also clean out your wallet, at about $300 delivered.

It's been a couple of years since I've cleaned the engine compartment, but notice how dry and oil free the dust and dirt is.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:10 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
$300...ouch. It looks nice...it should.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 PM
MiamiPSD
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Very Nice and clean. I like it.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:34 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to check this out. Do you have a part number or link?
It looks great. $300 is crazy, but I've talked myself into much dumber things!

Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 PM
MiamiPSD
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Racor CCV3550-FRD-02 $281.95
TDS Industries - Racor CCV3550-FRD-02

Old 01-28-2014, 06:27 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
Thanks! Is it like a direct replacement? Or is there modification to make it fit?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a very nice set up. I'm very interested to see what the inside looks like? How is it baffled? I just wish it didn't cost so much. But since I can't afford it I am going to try to tweak my set up so that it will filter alittle better and drain back into the valve cover or crank case.

I do like how all the dust on your engine is nice and dry!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
FWIW, I have been happy with TDS Industries. I have bought two Racor PS 120-2 fuel strainers from them. Great communication and the best prices that I've found for Racor products.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:19 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
Thanks for the reference Tim.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Y2KW57
I plan on doing a filter change soon, so when I do, I'll take some extra photos of the inside along the way.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Maybe if we could get enough people for a group buy they would give us a better price.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
I'd be down for a group buy if we could get it together. It might be hard to get folks to pay even half that price though when many are stuck on venting to open air, which I am not willing to do.

Hey Y2KW57, is your truck stock otherwise? I've done quite a bit of research tonight and it seems some users with slightly modified trucks have had problems with leaks "elsewhere on the motor", I guess due to supposedly increased CC pressure caused by the filter.
I have a hard time seeing how CC pressure could increase to that level with the bypass feature on the filter. I'd most likely be willing to chalk it up to incorrect installation if I had more experience with the unit.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Y2KW57
I have read, and may have participated in, some of the same forum research you may have encountered elsewhere. It is a real concern for those with modified engines.

Racor makes different sizes of CCV filtration systems, with different flow rates and efficiencies of filter media. One would do well to consider how much horsepower they are making, or plan on making, as Racor uses "horsepower rating" as a general guide for sizing the CCV systems.

I have SSS injectors (acronym to make my Stock Split Shots seem cooler). I run the original Ford stock calibration. I have an AIS, a larger intercooler, an E99 wheel, a larger spring head wastegate actuator, a 1.0 A/R turbine, and a 3.5 DP to 3.5 straight through. All lotion, no potion. I'm probably putting down about 170 HP. The 3550 is not likely to lead to an imbalance in crankcase pressures in my case.

For those approaching 400 HP, Racor will be the first to tell you to go with a 4500 instead. Much more of a challenge to mount. I'd be inclined to closely compare a Donaldson Spriacle in that case... to determine which I could make fit better. I waited for a few years before going with the 3550. First, because of the redesign of the lid (hence the version FRD-2), and second, because of the reports you have read elsewhere.

But finally, the benefits of having a filter housing release mechanism specifically, exclusively, and professionally designed for this application, and the reality that I will never attempt to exceed the horsepower beyond the factory rating, (though it would be nice to actually achieve the factory rating), persuaded me to get it. I'm very glad I did.

It isn't for everyone though. I just posted the photo because we've had a couple of threads on CCV lately. It would have been inappropriate to suggest this solution on those threads, but it also seems a shame that such a good solution is not widely known about. So here it is... an excellent option for the "keep it close to stock" crowd. Well, that wouldn't really be a "crowd" would it? More like maybe 3 of us?

Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
Thanks for the info, you did manage to give me a good idea of what I'm looking at. The only thing holding me back is my F6 for one, which I rarely use in a setting >60hp, and a possible step up to AC injectors. It's coming... I'm procrastinating, but my stock injectors seem to be slipping on cold starts.
I guess worst case is I buy the system & install it. Then if it doesn't hold up to future mods I can always change back to stock and use the system on another truck. Lord knows we've got plenty of them around here.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Freely admitting my alliteration hooks aren't a tenth as tantalizing as Tugly's, he hasn't posted a new one in 23 hours, and I was having withdrawals.
I'm just a schlub with a keyboard, yet people are inspired to ratchet it up a notch. I feel humbled.

This is a great design. I've been looking at these, but the cost spooked off the Buck$Zooka guy with brand new Stage IIs and ladder bars.

I'm completely lost... why is everybody concerned about oil vapors going into the turbo? Is there an issue with this that I can't see or understand?

Quick Reply: Crystal Clean Clutterless Carefree CCV