Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Maybe the fuel bowl heater is needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:51 PM
NS F250
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the fuel bowl heater is needed?

Hi guys, I have an 02 F250 that is giving me some cold weather trouble. With new batteries, rebuilt starter and synthetic oil, she starts without any problems, but sometimes after driving for a few minutes, the engine loses power. It died a couple of times, but it will restart and drive at reduced power. It seems like gelled fuel, but I have been running diesel kleen and the pump I fill up at is supposedly winter fuel. I did replace the stock fuel pump with the walbro pump that was all the rage a few years ago and It seems to be making a higher pitched whine than in warmer weather. When I open the fuel bowl drain with the engine running, the sound of the pump does change. The filter only has a few hundred miles on it, so I wouldn't think it's plugged. This has me thinking the fuel may be gelling in the fuel bowl? I did have the fuel bowl heater short out a few years ago, so it is disconnected. I wonder if that could be my issue? If not, maybe my pump doesn't like to pump diesel fuel when it's -17* out? Thanks

Old 01-28-2014, 05:12 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I think you have the 2 possible/likely culprits narrowed down pretty well. It looks like a fuel gauge may be in your near future.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:30 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
I feel better keeping my heater plugged in. We recently had a similar issue with my brothers OBS. I took the filter out to find a big block of ice sitting atop a broken fuel bowl heater. While I realize that's an extreme, it proves a point I think. Oh, and the water-in-fuel sensor never registered either.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
For starters, ditch the walbro fuel pump...I learned that lesson the hard way.

It's not designed to consistently supply the proper amount of fuel to the 7.3 at all times. I learned this last September when I had to replace it with a stock pump.

I installed it the Spring of 2011 and my 7.3 had inconsistent throttle response since then. Thinking it was just the nature of the beast, I just let it be. Over time, it evetually got weaker and weaker to the point where it died at work.

I replaced it in the parking lot at work and after driving it, it was a night and day difference between the pump. It still has consistent throttle response and the truck drives completely different from when it had the Walbro pump.

Didn't mean to get off topic, but thought I'd give you a heads up on that.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In addition,
I would replace the fuel filter and throw some #1 diesel in the tank when the OAT's get down that low. #2 with additives would still be in the danger zone of gelling at those temps. Here's some pics so you can get an idea of what is happening. Especially if your truck is parked outside. Once the filter catches the wax crystals it will reduce the flow through the filter.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8445770

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13987449

Also, carry some diesel 911 around, so if/when you lose power again you can throw some in the filter & the tank. If it takes care of your symptoms then you know it was gelling.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:11 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Every time it drops below -10F I see diesel pick-ups pulled over on I-29 idling, cuz that's all they can get them to do. The diesel shops & tow trucks have been extremely busy this month making $$$......

Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 PM
NS F250
Elder User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
For starters, ditch the walbro fuel pump...I learned that lesson the hard way.

It's not designed to consistently supply the proper amount of fuel to the 7.3 at all times. I learned this last September when I had to replace it with a stock pump.

I installed it the Spring of 2011 and my 7.3 had inconsistent throttle response since then. Thinking it was just the nature of the beast, I just let it be. Over time, it evetually got weaker and weaker to the point where it died at work.

I replaced it in the parking lot at work and after driving it, it was a night and day difference between the pump. It still has consistent throttle response and the truck drives completely different from when it had the Walbro pump.

Didn't mean to get off topic, but thought I'd give you a heads up on that.
No, this is very on topic. I have been noticing the sound of the pump lately, and I think the extreme weather is probably stressing it enough that it doesn't want to work.

I will also check the fuel filter for ice when it's warmer tomorrow. It's supposed to be a balmy 14*.

Thanks for the fast responses guys.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by NS F250
No, this is very on topic. I have been noticing the sound of the pump lately, and I think the extreme weather is probably stressing it enough that it doesn't want to work. I will also check the fuel filter for ice when it's warmer tomorrow. It's supposed to be a balmy 14*. Thanks for the fast responses guys.
There you have it, the pump kept getting louder and louder and me being so busy I never paid attention to it until it died completely.

It didn't hit me that the pump had been warning me for days before until it died and I had to replace it.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by NS F250
Hi guys, I have an 02 F250 that is giving me some cold weather trouble. With new batteries, rebuilt starter and synthetic oil, she starts without any problems, but sometimes after driving for a few minutes, the engine loses power. It died a couple of times, but it will restart and drive at reduced power. It seems like gelled fuel, but I have been running diesel kleen and the pump I fill up at is supposedly winter fuel.
Diesel Kleen is not an anti-gel additive.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:07 AM
Bigtruc
Senior User
I still have not been able to find a definate answer on the exact purpose of the fuel bowl heater or how necessary it is, all I know is mine is completly removed & my truck still starts & runs just fine with temps dropping to -35 here (that's straight temp, no wind chill crap). I just make sure to always fill up at a reputable station & I put straight #1 in.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 AM
merlinv
New User
Guys, you are forgetting one import thing here that is the fuel tank pickup rubber foot, it might be disintegrated into pieces and a piece might be getting sucked up, starving the pump.That's why he losing power as he's driving after starting the demand on the engine is not alot, after he starts driving the pieces at the bottom of the tank are moving around and. Question here is can you run the tank to almost empty. You might have to drop the Tank.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I believe the white bottle of Diesel Kleen has anti-gel, not the other one. Did you use white?

The Walbro pump is not engineered for diesel and is not manufactured at the quality level of the stocker.

A whining pump is a good clue, it could be a pickup issue, a pump issue, or a gelled fuel issue. I installed a fuel pressure pump for days like this, and it was a total eye-opener the very day I installed it. I had to re-design my fuel supply mods.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The Airtex E2236 is my fuel pump of choice. Several Bosch failures, no Airtex failures.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigtruc
I still have not been able to find a definate answer on the exact purpose of the fuel bowl heater
As water accumulates off the separator, the heater keeps it from freezing and damaging the bowl.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:30 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bigtruc
I still have not been able to find a definate answer on the exact purpose of the fuel bowl heater or how necessary it is, all I know is mine is completly removed & my truck still starts & runs just fine with temps dropping to -35 here (that's straight temp, no wind chill crap). I just make sure to always fill up at a reputable station & I put straight #1 in.
Originally Posted by thomabb
As water accumulates off the separator, the heater keeps it from freezing and damaging the bowl.
OK, this is interesting, I still have the fuel bowl installed and will be putting a regulated return on the Excursion. Just not sure if I should keep the fuel bowl on or not. I didn't worry about it too much living in Oklahoma but since moving to South Dakota 5 years ago I was leery about removing the fuel bowl.

Quick Reply: Maybe the fuel bowl heater is needed?