Sponsored by: Moser

Adjust speedo after tire upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:01 AM
cubangt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjust speedo after tire upgrade??

I recently went up in size on my tires after installing a Leveling kit. Today for the first time since I had to take a long trip and was checking my speed against what the GPS was stating.. there is about a 8mph difference.

So if the truck says 65, the GPS was saying 73/74, and the faster I went the bigger the difference got.. so if the truck said 70, I was going closer to 79/80

I know that there needs to be some adjustments made so it read correctly again, just wondering if there is also some adjustments that can be made to get the RPM's down at crusing speeds also..

In the past when I would do around 70 or 75, the RPM's would be around 1500 to 1700, now im staying steady at 2000.

What am I looking at to get back to somewhat normal again?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 AM
cubangt
Senior User
Waiting on the dealership to call me back with a price to have them do it, but been looking around at programmers, if I decide to go with a programmer instead of a one time change from the dealer.. any brands better than others..

I found a hypertech brand "Max Energy Power Programmer" which will do the speedo and shift points and has more flexibility.. and alos just a speedo calibrator from them also..

Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 AM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Either ...
A trip to your local friendly FoMoCo dealership service department to have your PCM flashed using their IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System) to adjust the RPM (Revolutions Per Mile) of your wheels.
  • may be a slight charge for the service, depending upon your relationship with the dealer.
  • can only set the RPM to values that are for F-150 stock|option wheel sizes.
Or ...
Purchase a hand-held tuner (e.g. SCT) to effect the same change yourself.
  • would be able to set the RPM parameter to any value.
  • tuner will co$t $$$$$
  • tuner will leave a fingerprint for the change.
BTW ... This will also resolve your transmission's shift points.

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 AM
tomfiii
Senior User
Did you check original tires with GPS,something doesn't sound right as you should be turning less rpm with taller tires with GPS. Quick and easy measure heights of tires multiply by pi and find % of height change and add to your speedo that % amount.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:41 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Go here:

Tire Size Calculator - Tire & Wheel Plus Sizing

Your GPS is giving you the proper speed. At this point, ignore how many rpms your turning as the taller tires have slowed down the number of revolutions per mile.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:44 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how about a pic with that level and new tires

Old 01-20-2014, 10:46 AM
cubangt
Senior User
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Either ...

A trip to your local friendly FoMoCo dealership service department to have your PCM flashed using their IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System) to adjust the RPM (Revolutions Per Mile) of your wheels.
  • may be a slight charge for the service, depending upon your relationship with the dealer.
  • can only set the RPM to values that are for F-150 stock|option wheel sizes.

Or ...

Purchase a hand-held tuner (e.g. SCT) to effect the same change yourself.
  • would be able to set the RPM parameter to any value.
  • tuner will co$t $$$$$
  • tuner will leave a fingerprint for the change.
BTW ... This will also resolve your transmission's shift points.

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
Is that all the possible options? the tires I put on are 295/70/18 which looks like suppose to be 589 Revs...

So is it 2 things I need to have done? resting the revs and recalibrating the speedo? or is that one in the same?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:49 AM
cubangt
Senior User
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
how about a pic with that level and new tires
Ill see when I can get a good pic, the only thing that sucks is that I forgot to take before pics.. which is something I do with all projects.. im restoring a 74 Camaro and I am always taking pics before, during, in between and after.. and for whatever reason I forgot on the truck..

but I can post some as soon as I can.
After the kit now I want just a tad bit more lift.. and looking to make more mods to the truck..
Like adding some super bright lights to the back under the bumper to help with reversing, adding the backup sensors and swapping out the headlight housings with the tinted ones.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:50 AM
cubangt
Senior User
Originally Posted by tomfiii
Did you check original tires with GPS,something doesn't sound right as you should be turning less rpm with taller tires with GPS. Quick and easy measure heights of tires multiply by pi and find % of height change and add to your speedo that % amount.
before the change, yea I would notice that GPS and speedo would match. Now the speedo is about 8mph slower than the GPS.. so until I fix, just need to remember the difference.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:51 AM
cubangt
Senior User
Is there any chance that going with the bigger tires, I would need to change the gears also? or just the recalibrating and revs would help and not damage the truck in the long run.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:19 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO if you're not towing often, and you can live with the slight decrease in performance with the more appealing aesthetics, you should be ok. My rpms are down not up as previously stated with the same size tires. I got an SCT from 5 Star and it corrected all the issues, I'd recommend Mike to anyone. My speedo is off some but I just make sure I'm not going faster than the others on the highway. Its closer at lower speeds on my truck. Theres a sticky for the brighter reverse lights, I did Rigid Industries SR-M diffused under my back bumper and tied them into the reverse wire for the trailer plug. Works great

Old 01-20-2014, 05:08 PM
bigal51
New User
I went up to 18 inch from the 17 stock wheels. I lost about 4or 5 mpg. The dealer charged me $100 to recal my computer for the larger tires and wheels.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:48 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
cubangt - Is that all the possible options? the tires I put on are 295/70/18 which looks like suppose to be 589 Revs..
Yes ... If you have the the dealership flash the PCM those are the valid IDS parameters which correspond to the OEM stock|optional wheel sizes.

So is it 2 things I need to have done? resting the revs and recalibrating the speedo? or is that one in the same?
The speedometer's vehicle speed sensor uses the same table(s), there is only 1(one) flash necessary to adjust the wheels RPM (Revolutions Per Mile).

BTW ... There is speedometer gear.

-click- the pic'
Goth 150

Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 AM
cubangt
Senior User
thanks for the info guys, im leaning toward the SCT with some custom tunes, since im looking into modding the truck some more..

Old 01-28-2014, 04:15 PM
cubangt
Senior User
Ok here is a pic after the lift before the tires(they hadn't arrived yet)

Here is a pic of the tires installed on the stock rims

Here is the truck lifted and new tires, but from different angle

Ill have to see if remember to park the truck in the same place and take the after pic and wash it also

Quick Reply: Adjust speedo after tire upgrade??