Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88' F350 RestoMod info gathering

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88' F350 RestoMod info gathering

In the summer I plan to start tearing down my F350's for a restomod using the better condition frame from one. I am trying to find the best coating for the frame other than Line X. I do not like other people working on my stuff although Line X has a lifetime warranty. I am considering Por 15 or an Epoxy coating. Any Thoughts? I am looking for longevity - something I won't have to redo in 25 years as I am only 18 and plan to have the truck for a long time.

This thread is purely for me to get information. Please no "don't waste your time and money on this truck" BS.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:36 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
“Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect.”

you plan on running your current 26 year old truck until it's at least 51 years old when you'll be at least 43 and you expect to coat this just one time and have it last your whole planned ownership duration without a second application.

i use por 15 and after a couple winters i had to repair some of it. then i coated over it with tractor enamel.in a few more winters when the road salt eats into this,i plan on coating it with some marine grade paint and see how that holds up.by the time that gets eaten away,it'll likely be time to move on to another truck.im not sure of anything that will meet nor even come close to meeting your expectations.pretty much like anything,maintenance is the key.
who knows though,look at the vehicles out in Cali and arizona.them cars are cleannnnnnnnnnn without paint lol.so location and where/how your driving i suppose matters most.i just picked up an f450 and cus she's 2wd she wasn't run in winters (nor will be.) a 20 yr old truck solid as can be.might just have a bit more surface rust than trucks out west/down south but not by much.so you keep her off the road,you might keep her around until your middle aged without even spraying the frame once.
this spring,i'll be coating the f450 with primer then tractor enamel.complete underbody and stake body dump bed and no doubt it holds up for many,many years.i don't mind spraying though.i coat my trucks/equipment every other year and it keeps things looking very nice and presentable.
just touched up chip truck (f250 4wd.dually convert) recently;

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ump-bed-5.html

Old 01-14-2014, 08:42 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
I should have mentioned it is not a daily driver and probably wont be driven in the winter... Line X claims to have a lifetime warranty but I started this thread to hear about peoples experiences over time with products. If I will have to recoat then that is the case but I would like to find what lasts the best. I'm leaning towards an epoxy type coating.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:58 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
I bet it's a lot easier to coat the frame with a dump bed I can see that just want to find the best stuff to make it last the longest. My dad also said I could get it powder coated. Big toss up of cost and wanting to do the work myself.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
BED LINER is for BEDS, NOT frames.

The question is, how far are do you plan on going into this project?

COMPLETE tear down to a BARE frame? If so, sandblast, POR15 then topcoat with tractor black. It will last a L O N G time

here is what my truck looks like 1/2 way thru its second winter(I used steps listed above) Anything worth doing, is worth doing RIGHT

Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
I agree with the overdoing. I am going down to the bare frame. My dad will probably be set up for dustless blasting by the time I am ready. Tearing down two trucks because one has a better frame.

I figured since bed liner is supposed to be very rugged and durable it would work but that is a good point. Also looking into Imron but I like your procedure the best so far.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I didn't take the POR15 route on my truck, I have to agree with Brad. I've blasted/POR'd/topcoated subframes, control arms, etc. for other people and they've come out great, and so far have stood up to the abuse of every day driving in New England without an issue.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:03 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Thanks guys. Sounds like the prep, por15, top coat is the plan.

Next bit of info is I plan to build several fuel tanks to maximze capacity and wanted to know about tank building procedures. (I have experience welding but may look into having the welding major kids at my college do it as they have certs). I plan to do two extra large mid ship tanks and an extra large rear tank.

I was thinking of 14ga cold rolled steel, bend the bottom up for two sides, baffles and supports that the top sits on. weld the sides from the inside and out then the top from just the outside but seal it. Mig then Tig over it?

Old 01-15-2014, 04:29 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
That's a lot of fuel! Take a look at the link in my signature about the 38 gallon tank.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am done with the thread, the dream pipe is out

Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 AM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
That's a lot of fuel! Take a look at the link in my signature about the 38 gallon tank.
It is indeed a lot of fuel. Well that 38 gallon tank (my goal in size for the rear) seams to be a good price, titan fuel tanks wanted wayyyy to much. One less tank for me to build.

How do you like your centurion?
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I am done with the thread, the dream pipe is out
Dream pipe?

Old 01-16-2014, 01:38 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Found this on amazon:
Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 2292 Heavy Duty Oil Cooler: Automotive Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 2292 Heavy Duty Oil Cooler: Automotive

A bit overkill for everyday driving but I sometimes tow a um lot. I may do a bypass with a solenoid for when the tranny is cold.

Also looking into cartridge filter conversion and a coolant filter add on.

What do you guys think about a coolant filter?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by infinite-foamies

How do you like your centurion?
I like it a lot, now that I've worked through the usual Centurion issues, wiring and frame reinforcement. The wiring wasn't bad, but it was all butt splice connectors. The frame just needed some reinforcing in the rear section.

About coolant filters, most diesel guys consider them necessary.

As far as that oil cooler, that's a hell of a lot of money. Not sure what your other options are, but if it were me I'd definitely be looking into them.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:52 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Oh you have one of the infamous stretched frames? Mine was just oak interior kind of stuff and yes they put butt splices in places they didn't even add anything?!?!

I can get one the same size as what came on the truck for about $250 but I question if that is enough for the loads this thing sees... The original one became FUBAR in a 5 car pile up.

Oh and this is for ATF not engine oil.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:05 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
I have what I believe is a dana 60 sitting in the yard, worth doing the swap? It came out of an 80's Dodge camper.

Quick Reply: 88' F350 RestoMod info gathering