1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Picked up an 8ba last night. Need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:19 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Picked up an 8ba last night. Need some answers

Ok, so I picked up an 8ba last night. It's going into my '47 2 ton (she'll be comin round the mountain in the '47 and earlier section). It's an almost complete 'runner'. The seller kept the multiple carb intake, so it came without one. I have owned 4 or 5 flathead v8s over the years and daily drove one all through the 90's in a '38 tonner, so I'm no stranger to them. However they were all 59 ab's. I have tons of parts in the attic over my cabinet shop but when I went up to get an intake manifold (all so far are 59 ab) I found 3 of them but they all have ten bolts down each side and the 8ba has seven. The 8ba also doesn't have the dowel pin locaters. Are they interchangeable and just use seven bolts? I do have an 8ba in my '37, but it was running ok when I found it and have never really touched it. What else might I run into for differences? Fuel pump, pump rod? The intake manifold from the '47 has fittings for the vacuum brake booster so I would like to use it if possible. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:13 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribing. Have ya got a link to your other thread in 47 section Gary?

Old 01-12-2014, 11:15 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I don't know how to do a link. I think it's cool when someone puts up a youtube video or other type of link on this site, but I don't know how to do it. I was searching google for any info about using the earlier manifolds on an 8ba and led me to the ford barn. I did a search and found some guys modify to use 59 ab heads and manifolds on an 8ba so it looks older style, but I'm just too cheap to order the right one. Nobody around here would know or care if it was the wrong manifold, including me I just want to set it in the frame rails and see how it runs, compression and oil pressure etc!

Attached Images   
Old 01-13-2014, 08:02 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Hey, what's all that white stuff on your lawn?

If you want an original intake manifold for your 8BA I have one here with your name on it, for free.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Subscribing. Have ya got a link to your other thread in 47 section Gary?
That was my first thought. He made me search. But he posted pictures so that made up for it.

Here is the thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-mountain.html

Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Wow! Thanks Madsen. Thats awesome. I'll send you a PM at lunchtime, racing to a jobsite right now.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
The two intakes are physically interchangeable, but it isn't a good idea IMO. The 8BA's have a far better crankcase ventilation scheme, really helps with sludge prevention. You lose that if you switch to a 59 manifold. There are difference in the fuel pump, so to use a 59 intake you'd also need to use a matching pump stand and pump, and pushrod. Nothing to gain, you lose the improved ventilation and it's no treat reaching back there to add oil! Sounds like Josh has an extra manifold, there are plenty of them out there (I have a couple too).

Try to get one with two vacuum ports on it, which were used on Big Trucks. The second one points straight back, has bigger ports, and was for power brakes.

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Wonders never cease! Just got a call from the guy who I got the engine from and he found the right manifold in his storage area. Hoping it has the large port for my two tonner's vacuum booster. My buddy's 47-54 chev dump trucks all have the booster and holy **** do they stop! Hoping he also found the 7/16 push rod for it. Older style are 3/8. Becoming a manifold expert here from the information super hiway! And Josh, thanks so much for your generous offer. If this one doesn't have the big port and yours does, I'll send the shipping so I can switch it over. Right now I'm gonna build a quick running stand from a steel dolly and some square tubing. I sent my employee on the 24 mile round to town to pick up some screws that we don't really need... "And by the way will you stop at Orcas Automotive on the way home and pick up some stuff he has for me?" Details at eleven.....

Old 01-13-2014, 02:03 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
If the place for the port is cast into the manifold could you drill and tap it out?

Or even gas weld a fitting in?

You know, The old skool use what ya got thing.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:42 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Eureka! No need! Looks like I won't be doing much in the cabinet shop this afternoon. I'll let Danny work by himself in the shop. Pay no attention to the engineering or welding on the cart. I slapped it together with what I had and the only thing I measured was the bolt centers for the water pumps/mounts.... It's actually stopped raining today so I pulled it outside

Attached Images     
Old 01-13-2014, 02:47 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Good deal! I'd give that manifold a good scrubbing inside the passages and underside to keep any rust from being ingested.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:19 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Now lets see a first fire up video.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:51 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Well, it's not going as expected...... I picked it up with the tractor to drain the oil after I mounted it on the stand. Well, it was pretty lumpy, not too unexpected, but I stuck my finger in the drain plug hole and found thick deep sludge, sort of metallic and gray and so I decided to flush it out with laquer thinner and then mineral spirits and drove around sloshing it back and forth with the tractor. No difference in the sludge but it was softer. Only difference was I pulled out a piece of broken cast iron about 1/4" x 3/8". Hmmmmm, then another smaller one. Now the rest is just something about myself. I don't mind buying a used engine and running it. Once I get inside, I start to obsess about everything in there. 'This is the best time to do this... and then that'. It can't end. I've had 2 flatheads professionally rebuilt, with mixed results. One awesome, one failed. I built one myself, without any machine work, farmer style and that went ok too. So here I sit, beer in hand. I found my cast aluminum adapter for my engine stand and mounted the flattie. Flipped it over and pulled the pan. Pretty clean except the floor of the pan, which was lots of gray sludge like I knew it would be, and of course, more chunks of iron, mostly smaller. I see no evidence whatsoever of broken castings or any damage. The engine came with a full gasket set and that's good. I also have a couple sleeves of plastigauge, and tht's next. I think I'm gonna find some big clearances, but who knows. The truck is very sound and will be a good driver/worker, but I don't want 5 grand into the engine. If it needs too much, I may opt for the cummins 6at sitting next to it. All I need is a chev tranny, and a bunch of odds and ends. Ok, my beer is done, I'll go do some checking........

Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Pictures of the broken pieces? Should be fairly easy to ID. Lifter, perhaps?

Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Check the lobes of the cam for missing chunks...

Quick Reply: Picked up an 8ba last night. Need some answers