Ideas please on new 7.3 Desiel

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 01:21 PM
brjarrell
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas please on new 7.3 Desiel

Hey guys..! Need some advice here.

I have a Ford F350 Super Duty 4 x 4 Dually with a 7.3 Diesel with 250k miles on. The block is cracked and leaking water. I fixed once butt now its leaking again. It also leaks some oil. The engine has used 4- 6 quarts of oil between oil changes from day 1. I use this truck for work pulling a Bobcat around 12,000lbs.

I'm looking to replace the engine & transmission and not sure what is the best way to go.

I looked at Fords Rebuilt 7.3 They have 3 year 300k warranty

Looked at HD4R100, BTS & JW transmissions.

If I'm going to spend this kind of of money I only want to do it once and would like to have the Best I can Afford.

I purchased Banks programmer with Banks ram air intake. New exhaust Kit & a performance brake kit.

Any Help would be much appreciated...!

Old 01-11-2014, 01:52 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the best trany. vote will be John Woods or BTS depending which your closer to,the next best would be Fords HD version,may want to budget a 6.0 cooler & any other maint. while trany. is out, such as bellowed up pipes etc.I would talk to Riff Raff & reputable machine shops for long blocks if your not building big HP numbers.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:19 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I myself if in your shoes and was trying to get the most bang for the buck would be a used low mile engine which would leave you enough cash for up pipes, rebuilt turbo, boots, new gp's, reman injectors, T500 and a Melling lpop for about the same cost of a new engine or Ford reman.

Trans is simple JW or BTS since you tow heavy. Also 6.0 cooler & trans temp gauge.

And if you do all the work it could be done for around 10k still alot cheaper than a new truck. That is my 2 cents.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:13 PM
brjarrell
Freshman User
Yes after spending much of the day reading I really would like to find someone to build an engine with some upgrades..!

Does anyone know anything about Power Stroke Specialty?

Old 01-11-2014, 05:56 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by brjarrell
Yes after spending much of the day reading I really would like to find someone to build an engine with some upgrades..!

Does anyone know anything about Power Stroke Specialty?
Personally I won't let that guy ever touch my truck !! I am sure he knows his way around a 7.3 but.......nevermind..I don't want to be negative about him. I leave it at I wouldn't let him touch my truck.
If you are dead set on having a motor built a Ford reman is a good bang for the buck. Now if I were going to have a long block built for me I would consider Swamps 7.3L Stock/Performance Engine - Swamp's Diesel Performance

Old 01-11-2014, 07:40 PM
brjarrell
Freshman User
If you were to use swamps for a long block what mods if any would you have them do while they were doing the build?
What extras would I need to have nice engine ?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
If you were to use swamps for a long block what mods if any would you have them do while they were doing the build?
What extras would I need to have nice engine ?
As long as you are planning on using your truck as a daily driver and towing I think there really isn't anything else that would need to be done. If you read the link I posted it tells you everything they do. But honestly a Ford reman from Riffraff is your best bang for the buck.

Now if you are looking to make 500-600hp and make your truck a hot rod there is always more than can be done. If that is the case you better have some deep pockets.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
IH has the T444E HO... it has bigger injectors, but you need bigger air in/out and custom tunes. I'm not saying get the IH motor, I'm saying the off-the-shelf injectors for the HO motor can get you a lot more torque/HP without going all crazy. More air in (like a 38R and a Ford AIS) and a 4" exhaust are prerequisites. Since this configuration has already been engineered, it's a reasonable power upgrade. Things go sideways with custom injectors and/or nozzles.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 AM
brjarrell
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
As long as you are planning on using your truck as a daily driver and towing I think there really isn't anything else that would need to be done. If you read the link I posted it tells you everything they do. But honestly a Ford reman from Riffraff is your best bang for the buck.

Now if you are looking to make 500-600hp and make your truck a hot rod there is always more than can be done. If that is the case you better have some deep pockets.
I was looking on the Riffraff’s site for engines but don’t see where they are offering any Ford Remans?
So are you suggesting that the Swamps long block that you posted a link to is over kill for a daily runner?
Thank you guys for helping this newbie out.. !

Old 01-12-2014, 03:20 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You might give Clay at Riffraff a call. He used to have Ford reman longblocks for $4k.
While you have the engine out, I would pull the pan and put in welded cooling jets.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 PM
brjarrell
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HD Rider
You might give Clay at Riffraff a call. He used to have Ford reman longblocks for $4k.
While you have the engine out, I would pull the pan and put in welded cooling jets.
I called Riffraff today and basically said he would not recommend anyone to build a long block or complete engine. Said most of the people he deals with does the builds themselves.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM
brjarrell
Freshman User
On another note did talk with Swamps and really like them guys..! 425 Hp Complete build, Dyno & custom tunes. Oil Pan to Valve covers = Bad azz & even welded jets

Old 01-13-2014, 07:34 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
I called Riffraff today and talked with Clay and I was Not impressed.. basically said he would not recommend anyone to build a long block or complete engine. Said most of the people he deals with does the builds themselves.
Humm.

On another note did talk with Swamps and really like them guys..! 425 Hp Complete build, Dyno & custom tunes. Oil Pan to Valve covers = Bad azz & even welded jets
You could so what I did and get a <200K motor from the salvage yard for $1500-$2000 (with 6 month warranty) and comp test it, if all is good, replace every o-ring and sensor, and $ left over for all the other stuff.

BTS or John Wood are my first pick for trans, 4R100HD is in 3rd.

How much was Swamps asking for the build?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 PM
brjarrell
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jhand124
Humm.

You could so what I did and get a <200K motor from the salvage yard for $1500-$2000 (with 6 month warranty) and comp test it, if all is good, replace every o-ring and sensor, and $ left over for all the other stuff.

BTS or John Wood are my first pick for trans, 4R100HD is in 3rd.

How much was Swamps asking for the build?
$15,500 it is there performance long Block with G38r turbo, 200/30% injectors, Fuel Regulator & everything top to Bottom. 425 Hp 915 foot pounds torque

Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
$15,500 it is there performance long Block with G38r turbo, 200/30% injectors, Fuel Regulator & everything top to Bottom. 425 Hp 915 foot pounds torque
Ouch. You could buy another nice PSD for that. If the money tree in your back yard is producing, go for it, I haven't been able to get mine to grow yet.

Quick Reply: Ideas please on new 7.3 Desiel