1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

68 F100 LWB Brake Lights/Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 AM
r0cker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
68 F100 LWB Brake Lights/Turn Signal Problem

My turn signals were acting up and stopped working several months ago and I couldn't figure out why. At the time my wiper switch was going out and I found that as long as I had my wipers on my turn signals would work. I replaced the wiper switch and my turn signals stopped working completely. I checked the fuses and didn't see anything wrong. At some point the brake lights stopped working. I replaced the brake light switch on the brake pedal but that didn't help. Recently I pulled my steering wheel and, visually, the turn signal switch looks OK. I can't find the correct replacement switch anyway, as it doesn't look like any of the switches I've found for my truck.

After pulling the steering wheel I decided to check the fuses again and the turn signal fuse was blown. I changed it and now have working turn signals, emergency flashers, and a working horn (I had unhooked it because the horn would honk when I turned my turn signal switch on). I know the brake lights run on the same fuse as the emergency flashers so they should be working. I know the bulbs are OK and grounded well. I tried to trace the wiring but can't understand the diagram and the way the same wires seem to be connected to several systems. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Any help will be appreciated. I've been battling this wiring since I bought the truck. It looks like a rats nest under the dash. It has been rigged/spliced/re-wired so many times. Many of the wires are non-functional.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:32 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

With a name like rOcker I'm tempted to nick name you "off your". Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Anyways, back to your Bumpside. This sounds suspiciously like the PO did the later model Dentside steering column swap and didn't get the wiring correct. By chance is your column a tilt or cruise control column now? Cruise would be in the steering wheel. Moving the turn signal lever forward towards the dash would release the tilt if it is one.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:16 PM
r0cker
New User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Welcome to FTE!

With a name like rOcker I'm tempted to nick name you "off your". Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Anyways, back to your Bumpside. This sounds suspiciously like the PO did the later model Dentside steering column swap and didn't get the wiring correct.
Thanks! ..and no problem, haha. All the lights were working properly when I bought the truck. I did a little rewiring in the tail lights because the running lights were wired to the bright light behind the clear part of the lens (not sure which lights those are.. i thought reverse) and they were blinding people behind me. Also did these trucks have reverse lights? If so how do I wire those, that'd be nice! Anyway, the lights were working fine after the rewire/swap. The steering column isn't a tilt but I'm thinking they must have swapped the steering column because of the different turn signal switch.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:06 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Just in case, this may help. Is there a 4-flasher hazard switch on your column?
by dablack00) http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21570
I finally finished wiring up my 79 tilt column in my 71 F100. The only reason I'm finished is because the inspection is up and my horn hasn't worked since I did the switch. Now all is working.

I saw the post on the 67 wiring, well the 71 wiring is even easier. My column doesn't have cruise. Just tilt.

79 white red is hazard switch. I didn't use this one. I kept the hazard switch on my dash. You could easily wire the 79 column switch in if you like.

79 Blue/red is the indicator light. I didn't hook it up. If you want to hook it up, just splice in to your dash lights. No big deal.

79 yellow = ground for the horn. The 78/79 horn has two wires. The yellow is the ground, so ground it out.

79 dark Blue to 71 Blue yellow
79 light green to 71 light green
79 orange blue to 71 orange blue
79 light blue to 71 light blue
79 green white to 71 green white
79 green orange to 71 green orange
79 white blue to 71 white blue

Thats it. No big deal. Just took me a while to figure out the horn thing. All the other wires match up color wise.

<HR>78/79 Tilt Column Wiring (taken from a forum thread)
LBell101: I'm putting a '79 tilt into my '67. I have the '67 wiring all figured out but I'm not sure of the original wiring placement on the '79 column. The column has cruise control that I plan on using at some point and I think that is what is throwing me off some. It has the curved connector with wires as follows:

<CENTER><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" id=AutoNumber16 border=1 cellSpacing=3 borderColor=#111111 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>First row:
Yellow with blue dots
White with red trapezoids
Green with red stripe
Orange with blue stripe
Blue
Green
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Second row:
Blue with red stripe
Dark Blue
White with blue stripe
Green with white stripe
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

Does anyone know where each of these wires goes or what it operates? Also, I did do a search and found some info but nothing for a cruise tilt column. Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------------
The major change between the two era's of columns is the hazard light switch, which is on the column of the '78-79 column and on the dash or in the glovebox on the earlier trucks. The '78-'79 non-tilt column's wiring and harness is the same as the tilt version, except for the horn circuit. When you plug the column harness into the main harness, what was the horn circuit would now control the cruise control. The main control box for the cruise control is located inside the cab

Old 01-08-2014, 06:58 PM
r0cker
New User
Yep, my hazard switch is on the column

Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by r0cker
Yep, my hazard switch is on the column
Ohhhh. It's good to be the King. LOL! OK. So now look on the T/S switch wiring down low on the column. See if the engineering part number paper tag is still on it. Get me that number and I'll tell you what vehicles that switch fit. AKA, what column you got.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:40 PM
r0cker
New User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Ohhhh. It's good to be the King. LOL! OK. So now look on the T/S switch wiring down low on the column. See if the engineering part number paper tag is still on it. Get me that number and I'll tell you what vehicles that switch fit. AKA, what column you got.
I didn't see a tag. I may pull the steering wheel later and take a picture of the switch. I hate pulling it because I have a grant steering wheel and it's hard to get the horn cap to stay on. I did put my steering wheel on sideways so I need to pull it anyway, lol. Doing a little body work right now!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:34 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by r0cker
I didn't see a tag. I may pull the steering wheel later and take a picture of the switch. I hate pulling it because I have a grant steering wheel and it's hard to get the horn cap to stay on. I did put my steering wheel on sideways so I need to pull it anyway, lol. Doing a little body work right now!
A number off that tag would do wonders for me. If no tag under the dash see if you can get one from above. If your column has any plastic covers that may be covering up the T/S switch wiring remove them and look. If not you might un-screw the switch and pull it up towards you as far as the wiring under the dash will allow you. Unless the PO removed the tag for some unknown reason there will be one there.