Sponsored by:

What plug wires do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What plug wires do you guys use?

So i was going to crawl under my beast this weekend past and do the oil change, swap out the plugs, rotor, cap, and wires, when I realized I don't have any plug wires to swap out to

Old 01-07-2014, 04:17 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmmm, now here's a question that will get four-hundred answers and they will all be "right". Plug wires are one of those odd commodities that it would SEEM you would get what you pay for. However, like with most electrical devices, that isn't necessarily true.

Plug wires carry very high voltage over a short distance through one of the worst environments for electricity to inhabit. With that said, the better insulated the jacket and less resistance there is in the conductor, the better the plug wire. Nothing else matters. Some folks will try to sell you on special insulating properties that keep out moisture and aid in preventing corrosion... blah, blah, blah for as long as they have been around, if the makers of plug wires haven't figured out how to keep the water out even at the bottom end of the market, we have greater far greater troubles.

I know you posted with the idea that someone would just spout off a brand name or part number and rest assured, you will most likely get a few like that. But the truth of the matter is that I would rather tell you what properties make a "good" plug wire. That way you can make your own decision especially if the other answers you get here lead you to products that either aren't available in your area or cost more than your truck did. (And yes, you can pay a metric butt-load for a set of mediocre plug wires).

Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
I'm kinda with greystreak on this. Plug wires are one of those things that there are a TON of them.....different colors, options, made in America, specifications....yada, yada, yada!! You can make yourself CRAAZY!!

Myself....unless your running mega spark....mega voltage in a racing environment.....no reason to spend huge $$$ on wires. Something that is stock...If you have something that has worked well for you....don't change it.

I've spent lots of $$$ on wires over the years....and WASTED $$$ over the years....just because it "looked" good or was the next "best" or "newest" thing.
I used to tell my customers, "No one knows Ford ...better than Ford." So I used Ford or Motorcraft. Likewise with GM. I used Gm or AC Delco.
And yes, I've used aftermarket as well and had good luck with some....and not with others. It's one of those thing....You get what you pay for! (In most cases!!!)

Hope this helps!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Just go with Motorcraft for wires and plugs, they work great and will usually cost way less.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
That was simple enough I'll be picking up my Motorcraft plug wires tomorrow (didn't have any locally). Thanks guys!

Old 01-08-2014, 05:59 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Plug Wires

I dropped a couple of Motorcraft plugs and did not think my new Ford racing wires were any good. I finally changed to NKG v=grove. did not drop any and the wires are great. Finding my little peace of hose to start the plugs makes great wires.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
I haven't bought anything but the blue Ford Racing wires in probably 20 years.