Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:58 AM
coxthecrazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake questions

I know this has probably been beat to death but I'm trying to decide on what intake manifold I want to use. I just bought a set of GT40P heads and may get a light port job done to them. As I have a 351 instead of a 302 my choices are limited. I know a GT40 would pair well but at 600+ for a Lightning one used its hard to justify unless they would be the best option to go with the heads. I do have a handle on a complete explorer GT40 for a good price and it know I could buy a 351 lower to swap to it. I've debated between that, the edelbrock performer(possibly truck version but not sure) or the professional products that is very similar to it. Anyone have experience with any of the three? My goal is to get to 300 hp and around 350 tq but I don't know if that is possible without doing any internal work

Old 01-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 962 Likes on 762 Posts
If you want to hit your HP goals do not buy the Edelbrock truck intake, the regular Performer or Typhoon will get you there just fine and the Typhoon will be close to half the price. FYI.. the Performer and Typhoon out perform the Explorer intake and if you don't get close to 400tq from a 351 you messed something up.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:29 PM
coxthecrazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
if you don't get close to 400tq from a 351 you messed something up.
I was allowing for a pretty big margin of error on my part lol.

I already have long tube headers which I plan to pair with a Dynomax 2 1/4 header back dual kit soon. I am going to modify the headers for the heads/spark plug angle before I mount them to make life simpler. I figure something like that is a little easier to do at the work bench and not leaned over the fender. Just for my own knowledge and anyone else who reads this thread, what makes the truck version of the performer so bad?

Old 01-03-2014, 04:56 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by coxthecrazy
I was allowing for a pretty big margin of error on my part lol.

I already have long tube headers which I plan to pair with a Dynomax 2 1/4 header back dual kit soon. I am going to modify the headers for the heads/spark plug angle before I mount them to make life simpler. I figure something like that is a little easier to do at the work bench and not leaned over the fender. Just for my own knowledge and anyone else who reads this thread, what makes the truck version of the performer so bad?
Post #18 ( https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post8090024) in this thread ( https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...40-intake.html ) answers some of that question.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:04 AM
coxthecrazy
Senior User
But what about a GT40? Would it be better than the performer or the typhoon? I know I could get the typhoon cheaper but it's worth a few bucks for a considerable gain in power in my opinion.

What about the Procomp qualifier? I know JEGS used to carry them but I don't think do anymore. You can still find them on eBay for about 150-175 per peice separate. Also looking at pictures of all three intakes they look as though the upper can be put on either direction to face the passenger or driver side. I would be correct in thinking putting the TB on the drivers side would probably better to shorten the intake tube length right?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
But what about a GT40? Would it be better than the performer or the typhoon? I know I could get the typhoon cheaper but it's worth a few bucks for a considerable gain in power in my opinion.
The difference between all these is not dramatic, the GT40 produces a little more midrange torque because it's more restrictive but less peak horsepower.

What about the Procomp qualifier?
That looks to be the Typhoon by another name and being cheaper it probably has little or no finishing machineing. As with everything you get what you pay for.

Also looking at pictures of all three intakes they look as though the upper can be put on either direction to face the passenger or driver side. I would be correct in thinking putting the TB on the drivers side would probably better to shorten the intake tube length right?
Yes the uppers are reverseable, and for truck applications aiming the TB to the drivers side will simplify intake plumbing routing.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 AM
coxthecrazy
Senior User
I have heard that Procomp is performance products seconds company. They get all the blems and stuff like that. With this being a mud truck and not a show truck along with the fact I am trying to do this on a pretty tight budget, price is king so I will most likely go with the qualifier. There is a used typhoon on eBay that is local I might see if he will separate as it is for a 302 and buy a new qualifier lower and pray they line up right. If I could get out for under 250 that would be ideal but not gonna hold my breath

Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 AM
coxthecrazy
Senior User
Another related question. How much better would performance be if I spent the extra money to get a 70mm throttle body? 65mm are plentiful and cheap due to being a stock part on all GT40 based intakes but all the intakes are bored for a 70mm so if it would make a big difference I would spend the extra 100 or so if it is in the budget

Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
I'd suggest the 70mm TB obviously, but that said if money was real tight the motor will certainly run fine with a 65mm and you could always upgrade it later on.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:32 AM
coxthecrazy
Senior User
Yea I figured as such. I've given myself a 1k budget I am already about 250 into with heads,MAF ecm and meter, and headers. I do have a birthday coming up so I may extend the budget a little there and wait to see how much I have left and make a TB the last part to buy. Do I need the EGR spacer? I plan on running without the EGR system but I noticed there were a couple of hose fittings on it that I wasn't sure what they go to

Old 03-23-2014, 04:13 AM
akdanstar
Senior User

What about the Procomp qualifier? I know JEGS used to carry them but I don't think do anymore. You can still find them on eBay for about 150-175 per peice separate. Also looking at pictures of all three intakes they look as though the upper can be put on either direction to face the passenger or driver side. I would be correct in thinking putting the TB on the drivers side would probably better to shorten the intake tube length right?

save your money I have not seen or read any results using Typhoon intakes ,, my experence...

I bought the Professional Products - Typhoon upper and lower intakes for a 91 ,f-250.
What a big POS these are after taking them out for a fit up and inspection , A Great Big Fail.. inside matchup is off 1/8 , using my Ridgid See Snake micro I really got a clear look inside. Shining a flashlight though the tops reveal total mismated ports
The casting is terrible inside very rough misshapen , the outside is misshapen some paces look patched, inside grinding and cut marks throughout.
I could not recommend these, you will get what you paid for . This cost me $390 & free shipping , wasted money . The upper cover gasket was screwed together wrong gasket holes didn't line up, the lower does not fit the heads correctly it seems I need to ream the holes.

Do Not BUY the cheapest parts Professional Products - Typhoon is not a good value.

Now I'm buying Eldebrock the matched set from their factory#3887 Intake Manifold, Victor EFI.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:50 AM
akdanstar
Senior User
this was 5 years ago ,, and i got the same problems ????? 5 years

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...review.680158/