6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Error Codes P0407 P0488

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Error Codes P0407 P0488

Hey guys,

So I am totally new to 6.0 engines and trucks in general. I have done a lot of reading and I am still in the dark about what could be wrong with my engine.

I got my first OBD-II scanner today and it threw the codes p0407 and p0488. I have no idea how long they have been there. After doing quite a bit of reading I know it has to do with the EGR and has to do with the sensor and plate. However, my truck is completely stock and most of the places I have read all have had the EGR deleted, so I am confused.

Here are the exact codes:

P0407 - Powertrain
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor "B" Circuit Low
P0488 - Powertrain
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Throttle Position Control Range/Performance

Online it said that there is often white smoke associated with these codes. I had white smoke last night but after asking over in the Excursion forum what the cause could be the general consensus was the cold (-13 F) was the cause of the smoke. Could the cold also cause this?

I am sorry if the answer is right infront of me, I've been known to walk into the only tree in the field.

Also, this might not be related at all, but I am due to change my oil later this week. I just recently bought the truck from my parents and realized that it has been 9500 miles since the last oil change.

Cheers,

Nate

PS - Is the truck driveable? I mean should I be driving it... I drove it today no problems but like I said I really have no idea.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:54 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nmclella
Hey guys,

So I am totally new to 6.0 engines and trucks in general. I have done a lot of reading and I am still in the dark about what could be wrong with my engine.

I got my first OBD-II scanner today and it threw the codes p0407 and p0488. I have no idea how long they have been there. After doing quite a bit of reading I know it has to do with the EGR and has to do with the sensor and plate. However, my truck is completely stock and most of the places I have read all have had the EGR deleted, so I am confused.

Here are the exact codes:

P0407 - Powertrain
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor "B" Circuit Low
P0488 - Powertrain
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Throttle Position Control Range/Performance

Online it said that there is often white smoke associated with these codes. I had white smoke last night but after asking over in the Excursion forum what the cause could be the general consensus was the cold (-13 F) was the cause of the smoke. Could the cold also cause this?

I am sorry if the answer is right infront of me, I've been known to walk into the only tree in the field.

Also, this might not be related at all, but I am due to change my oil later this week. I just recently bought the truck from my parents and realized that it has been 9500 miles since the last oil change.

Cheers,

Nate

PS - Is the truck driveable? I mean should I be driving it... I drove it today no problems but like I said I really have no idea.
You can pull the EGR Valve and clean her up ( use Brake cleaner and a Plumbers Flux Brush to get inbetween the discs, (try not to get cleaner on the Electrical side of the Valve), also pick up the O-rings and Gaskit just in case the old ones are not good from ford. Its OK to drive the truck may not have the response ,Clean the MAP nipple that goes to the Intake and IAT2 senser they will be gummed up as well

Old 01-01-2014, 06:56 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
P.S Ware your Safety Glasses, that stuff burns like Hello

Old 01-01-2014, 07:11 PM
MJMETHOW
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Check out six liter bible,it will show you the senser locations.Also follow up with ford filters.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
So I did all my research and prepared to dive in to do the cleaning... and as soon as I apply the tiniest bit of pressure to the head of the bolt it just falls off. Almost like it was not even attacked.

I watched 3 youtube videos showing me how to do the cleaning, hope up to do it and don't even get 3 seconds in....

Turns out that its just the head missing (ugh) and I am going to need to drill it out I guess. I'll have to seek my Uncle's help since I was already out of my newbie comfort zone... Is the truck still driveable? Or will he need to come to me rather than I to him??

Thanks,

Nate

EDIT - It was also super grimy and gummy around the valve... could this mean that it has been leaking?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:48 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
So I did all my research and prepared to dive in to do the cleaning... and as soon as I apply the tiniest bit of pressure to the head of the bolt it just falls off. Almost like it was not even attacked.

I watched 3 youtube videos showing me how to do the cleaning, hope up to do it and don't even get 3 seconds in....

Turns out that its just the head missing (ugh) and I am going to need to drill it out I guess. I'll have to seek my Uncle's help since I was already out of my newbie comfort zone... Is the truck still driveable? Or will he need to come to me rather than I to him??

Thanks,

Nate

EDIT - It was also super grimy and gummy around the valve... could this mean that it has been leaking?
Were you losing any coolant?? Real gummy usually means your cooler is leaking. But you normally would see coolant level would drop some and white smoke at start up.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:09 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Have been seeing a tonne of white smoke at startup but was told this could be to rally cold starts.

Here is original post: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l#post13901546

Here is Toreador Ex's reply: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l#post13901866

Maybe there is more to it than just cold starts??

Ill check the coolant

Old 01-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Fal-308-Win
Posting Guru
That things been leaking so long I wouldn't have second thoughts about driving it to your uncle. See if you can find a small reverse drill bit. Once you start drilling the hole most times the stud will spin itself out. Get two n case you break one

Old 01-04-2014, 10:33 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Here's a vid of the coolant levels and what I mean in terms of the gunk around the EGR valve. You can see a lot of it around the valve in the picture above.

Thanks for the help guys... I know alot of you are probably just shaking your heads but I am trying to get into this whole "maintaining" thing haha. Want to keep it around for a long time so better late than never.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:58 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Well im not really shaking my head. Lol but you do need to get that green coolant out of there or your going to have bigger problems. Vc9 flush flush flush. Elc cat1 coolant in. The gunk is in the outside of the egr valve? Any on the inside?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:04 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 9228.bobcat
Well im not really shaking my head. Lol but you do need to get that green coolant out of there or your going to have bigger problems. Vc9 flush flush flush. Elc cat1 coolant in. The gunk is in the outside of the egr valve? Any on the inside?
I will let you know about the inside, but yes the gunk is all around the EGR valve. Too scared to go after that second bolt until I get it to my uncles. Thanks for all your help. Reps for you all.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
The outside is not the egr cooler leaking. That looks more like a boot or something leaking. Put that 8mm on that bolt and get it off.lol get you a little pry bar and it will pry right out of there.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Powerstroke1974
New User
Sputter

I'm looking for some help. My 6.0 has a nasty sputter. Injectors are good/changed egr valve/injector cleaner. As I excelerate it starts to sputter bad. Any help on what it could be

Old 01-04-2014, 11:18 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Powerstroke1974
I'm looking for some help. My 6.0 has a nasty sputter. Injectors are good/changed egr valve/injector cleaner. As I excelerate it starts to sputter bad. Any help on what it could be
Might want to start a new thread on this problem.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:49 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Here's a vid of the coolant levels and what I mean in terms of the gunk around the EGR valve. You can see a lot of it around the valve in the picture above.

EGR and Coolant Problems - YouTube

Thanks for the help guys... I know alot of you are probably just shaking your heads but I am trying to get into this whole "maintaining" thing haha. Want to keep it around for a long time so better late than never.
Don't Hydrolock the Engine, with that much wet looking Coolent around EGR means , two things
1. Blown EGR COOLER
2. HEADS / Crack in Heads ( hair line).
take PRE Caution .
look at EGR cooler Hose in the Valley
look at Head moister passerger side Block# 7 port
Watch level in Degus ( smell or Test).
DO not Drive the truck .

Quick Reply: Error Codes P0407 P0488