Sponsored by: Moser

No fire at all

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:44 PM
allranger
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No fire at all

Replaced my Pickup coil, Ignition module, the coil has fire. Just not getting any kind of fire, what could it be

Old 01-01-2014, 02:46 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
What is "fire?" Do you mean to say that you've checked for spark, yet there is none? If so, where and how are you doing this? What does it mean for the coil to "have fire"? Are you measuring a voltage? What exactly are your observations?

As you can see, my crystal ball is out of commission.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM
allranger
Junior User
I dont have any spark in the spark plug wire, i dont have any spark in the distributor there is no fire.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:23 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Your "coil has fire" but you don't have any "spark in the distributor." These observations are ambiguous and seemingly contradictory. You're not helping me understand what you've done or what your truck is doing. I need to be able to repeat your exact steps on my truck without asking questions. Please take another shot.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:49 PM
allranger
Junior User
Stop being a dick, no fire after all i replaced means, NO ****ING FIRE

Old 01-01-2014, 06:58 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Name:  Blank-Picard_Facepalm.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  7.1 KB

Easy big guy.
FMC is just trying to get you into a logical sequence.
"No fire" doesn't mean anything when you are trying to isolate a problem.
If I were you I'd start again with him. He's pretty darn good at this.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Originally Posted by allranger
Stop being a dick, no fire after all i replaced means, NO ****ING FIRE
Wow.

Good luck fixing this YOUR way. It's gotten you this far, right?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:17 PM
allranger
Junior User
Frustrated by my problem and your first comment which wasn't necessary or helpful by my crystal ball.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:04 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Maybe your problem makes sense to you because you're there, but I'm not. You haven't actually told me or anyone else what it is you're doing. I don't understand vague things like "no fire." I do understand things like "I held a spark plug wire very close to the block while a friend cranked the engine, and I did not see a spark jump across the air gap." Do you see the difference now? So what are you actually doing?

If you can please try and help me understand that, as well as what you meant by "coil has fire" (are you measuring a voltage at the primary winding, are you checking for spark at the output of the coil, etc), then I'm very much eager to help you. Electronic systems are black and white, logical, and methodical. That's exactly how you troubleshoot them. You need to describe exactly what you're doing ("I'm holding a spark plug wire here, I put the multimeter probes there," etc). If you can't do that, then all folks can do is tell you to randomly replace parts, which you've already done, and it obviously hasn't helped. So it seems to me like my way might be worth a try, no?

Regarding my first comment about my crystal ball, if we didn't add some humor here, then it wouldn't be worth it. But I'm not going to apologize for what is ultimately your lack of patience and choice of language. You're the one that needs help with your ignition system, not me. Your success depends directly on your level of detail and willingness to communicate. The ball's in your court.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Frustrated by my problem and your first comment which wasn't necessary or helpful by my crystal ball.
Relax dude. We all understand that it can be hard to describe problems (especially electrical ones!), but if someone asks ya you to elaborate, its a good plan to take a whack at it. No ones here to p*ss in anyone's cheerios.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Twanstyle
Junior User
well first no spark no fire no start is on here everywhere.
and when mine wouldnt start I just followed FMC's and ND's testing tips.
his ball was still broken then (how come a good mechanic can fix everything but their crystal ball?)
after following the testing turned out to be a weak starter cranking slow and making for a weak spark and nothing electrical.
had i started with listening to him i would be $300 richer not had to take a month off work etc.
we all want your truck running we love them we love seeing and hearing them!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2014, 03:59 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Normally having "fire" under the hood is a bad thing.........And while FMC's sarcasm hit a raw nerve apparently, the OP's question was so vague that no one could reasonably expect to receive proper diagnostic help..............All that the OP had to do was start over by giving a detailed description of what he did, replaced, adjusted etc. Instead he got all butthurt about a sarcastic remark...........

Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 PM
allranger
Junior User
Originally Posted by iggybob44
Normally having "fire" under the hood is a bad thing.........And while FMC's sarcasm hit a raw nerve apparently, the OP's question was so vague that no one could reasonably expect to receive proper diagnostic help..............All that the OP had to do was start over by giving a detailed description of what he did, replaced, adjusted etc. Instead he got all butthurt about a sarcastic remark...........
Replaced my Pickup coil, Ignition module, the coil has fire. Just not getting any kind of fire, what could it be
I am not getting fire from my coil after i spin it over from the ignation, How ever when I connect a stater button from the solenoid to the batter my coil i getting fire.

Edit: I know this by putting a test light on the battery side of the coil, i get power there but on the starter side of the coil im not getting any pulse

Old 01-04-2014, 07:09 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Im more confused than ever.....Your getting power to the ignition coil, but not OUT of the coil? is that correct? Cause if so, it sounds like the coil is defective......Wouldnt be the first time a "replaced" part is faulty...

Old 01-04-2014, 07:13 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
BTW, you really need to learn the proper terminology here......Its not "fire" its spark, the Ignition doesnt "Spin" the coil, that would imply the coil rotates. The starter relay provides power to the coil, the coil amplifies the power to the ignition, and then it gets distributed to the plugs via the plug wires

Quick Reply: No fire at all