Sponsored by: Moser

Honeymoons Over Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:10 PM
jakeharp
Fleet Mechanic
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile Honeymoons Over Report

I just hit 5000miles on my 2013 Lariat 5.0 SCREW. and wanted to share my thoughts on the truck now that the honeymoon is over sorta speak.. since we all know when you get home from the dealer, everything is peaches and cream . I also took my first long road trip, 3 days around 1000 miles...

Most impressed with = ride comfort, creature comforts. Hands down the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven. Its now my preferred vehicle for travel, which is killing my 'low mileage' plan. The MySync and climate control are awesome, very little issues with MySync since the last update, it connects to my Droid automatically and does everything I ask it to do, I also use the 'services' to check my favorites list through MySync, if you have this feature and are not using it, your missing out on technology you paid for.

Feature I didn't expect to care about but cant live without now= 4A Automatic 4wheel drive feature/remote start. If you live in the ice world, i need say nothing else about 4A. The remote start also speaks for its self when its 5 below zero and your truck is covered in ice

Most Annoying thing = Remote Start Timer... I think there's a way to extend this, but I haven't researched enough to find out, but 15 minutes isn't enough for me in the winter, and its my bushiness whether or not I want it to warm up longer...

Long Lasting Disappointment = MPG... Yes, I knew that a V8 pickup truck was not going to get 30mpg..... But at this point in our vehicle development and technology research, ya just hope to get out of the TEENS for average gas mileage on a half ton pickup.... This would not sting as bad if there weren't Diesel trucks flirting with the 25mpg mark.. But I digress...... But I also realize that the EPA chokes these trucks out of any real chance of having great MPG, even tho the same government is demanding higher MPG

Option I wanted and glad i didn't get = I wanted the Full Center Console that flows thru the cab with shifter on the 'floor'. Something I failed to take into consideration were long road trips with a 'loving' wife, where my flip up center bench seat comes in VERY, VERY convenient.........

Overall impression of my F150 at 5k... = Very impressed, great motor/power response from the 5.0, great towing experience (separate thread). And drives like a Cadillac with a very comfortable interior.

Last edited by jakeharp; 12-30-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: add in
Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 PM
firedaniel
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice review. I just turned 12k on mine. I agree I prefer to drive it over any other vehicle. Mine is a STX and has everything I need. Great truck with a great ride. I get 20mpg consistently out of my 5.0 I cant complain.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by jakeharp
Long Lasting Disappointment = MPG... Yes, I knew that a V8 pickup truck was not going to get 30mpg..... But at this point in our vehicle development and technology research, ya just hope to get out of the TEENS for average gas mileage on a half ton pickup.... This would not sting as bad if there weren't Diesel trucks flirting with the 25mpg mark.. But I digress...... But I also realize that the EPA chokes these trucks out of any real chance of having great MPG, even tho the same government is demanding higher MPG
That's just not true. There is NOTHING choked about your 5.0L V8; it's cousin under the hood of a Mustang makes 412 HP with just different cams and premium gas, and you will never find a production truck engine in the past with that much specific horsepower. No doubt the EPA emissions regulations can be maddening at times, but in 10 years on FTE I have never seen anyone be able to tune or mod a gas truck to get better fuel economy.

Rip out the cat, free up the exhaust, install a tune that cares not for the EPA, and you get a loud truck and perhaps a half mile per gallon more. There's only so much you can do to make a gas engine efficient, and likewise there's only so much you can do to make a capable full-size pickup truck aerodynamic.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:19 PM
billybobzia
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice review..

I have 2600 miles on mine.. my wife gets mad when I suggest we take the car anywhere..as you said it is just so comfortable and rides like a Cadillac..

Old 12-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just barely have 3600 miles on my '13, FX4, Screw, 157", EcoBoost, 402a etc, etc, I have owned a $98k orig MSRP'd Mercedes SL500 (purchased used) a $56k Mercedes R350 (leased) and '08 Mercedes C300 (purchased new) along with several other luxury cars over the last decade and nothing compares to this '13, FX4, EcoBoost on the highway.

I mostly feel like I am driving my couch, err I mean living room down the highway it's so comfortable and quiet. Love the stealthy & crisp power from the EcoBoost. Yes, mpg's suck pretty bad, but I knew that going into it.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:49 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sooooo how much you give for that truck.....see my thread on "looking at `13 5.0L"

Old 12-31-2013, 05:06 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
That's just not true. There is NOTHING choked about your 5.0L V8; it's cousin under the hood of a Mustang makes 412 HP with just different cams and premium gas, and you will never find a production truck engine in the past with that much specific horsepower. No doubt the EPA emissions regulations can be maddening at times, but in 10 years on FTE I have never seen anyone be able to tune or mod a gas truck to get better fuel economy.

Rip out the cat, free up the exhaust, install a tune that cares not for the EPA, and you get a loud truck and perhaps a half mile per gallon more. There's only so much you can do to make a gas engine efficient, and likewise there's only so much you can do to make a capable full-size pickup truck aerodynamic.
+1. These engines already breath and exhaust about as well as they are going to without becoming illegal and lighting your dash up like Las Vegas.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Great review, thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by Pool Runner
I mostly feel like I am driving my couch, err I mean living room down the highway it's so comfortable and quiet.
All passengers I have taken for a spin have said the same thing, "feels like driving down the road on a couch". I'm ok with that

Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What about getting away from that E85? That alone should boost your mpg. I get 18.5 city and hiway mixed, hiway only trip and I've seen almost 22 mpg.

Unk Bob

Old 12-31-2013, 07:37 AM
mapitts66
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
After trading in a 2010 XLT 4X4, 5.4 in on a 2013 STX 4X4 5.0 I will completely agree on the ride and quietness of the newer trucks. Even with only a STX that is loaded to almost a "cheap" XLT, it is day and night in over all driveability, quiet, & smooth riding. As far as MPG goes I just chalk it up to the fact that I have a 5500 lb. truck.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:39 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jakeharp
Something I failed to take into consideration were long road trips with a 'loving' wife, where my flip up center bench seat comes in VERY, VERY convenient.........
Nice option right there!

Unk Bob

Old 12-31-2013, 08:10 AM
SabreFX4
Senior User
Might I ask where you're located and what kind of air temps you're experiencing while driving? At only 5000 miles you've not had it too long. If you're in a cold weather ( winter ) region and experiencing the temps that those of us in the upper midwest are getting, you may have not driven it yet in warmer (summer time ) weather. Winter temps always take a toll on MPG and gas companies reformulate fuels for winter driving. It might pleasantly surprise you next spring when temps warm and the computer starts cutting the fuel back to match the warmer, less dense air temps. My MPG's always take a dive in winter time driving. Hopefully you'll see an improvement in MPG with some warmer weather driving......if this is the case.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

You are able to program the remote start run time. Go to the Settings feature and go from there..............

Old 12-31-2013, 01:52 PM
jakeharp
Fleet Mechanic
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Yes I live at high elevation usually driving around 5-6k feet above sea level, our highs have been in 20-30's with some lows below zero.... My MPG gripe is more of a 'sigh' than an actual concern, I have 3.73 rears and dont expect to get into the 20's on mpg

Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 PM
69satelite
Freshman User
I have a 2013 Crew long box. It rides nothing like a cadillac. So you guys saying your trucks drive like cadillacs must have never driven or owned one. Mine rides like a smooth F350.:

Quick Reply: Honeymoons Over Report