Sponsored by:

Official Excursion Pricing/Buying Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:34 AM
00N8
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official Excursion Pricing/Buying Thread

Many other forums have an official pricing/buying thread where people that are looking at used rigs can ask the forum truck owners about pricing and buying issues.

Hopefully this is kosher with this group, I think it could be a handy addition. Ideally it would be a sticky or somewhere easily located. Also, not to confuse this with classifieds, just tech, pricing and buying talk.

I'll start us out:

I'm looking for a 2003-2005 6.0l diesel Excursion with less than 200k miles for under 10k. I know I'll have to sink in another 4-8k to remove the egr, FICM, replace the oil cooler and the other common issues.

I found the articles at this website very helpful when reviewing the common issues of the 6.0l diesel that might be of value to other 6.0l acquiring hopefuls.
BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0 and 6.4

When selecting this engine and type of truck I was also thinking a little bit towards performance and found a couple helpful "Recipes" in DieselPowerMag:
Ford Power Stroke - 7.3L, 6.0L, And 6.4L Power Strokes - Diesel Power Magazine

My search has led me to a couple of 2003 and 2004 150-200k 2WD Excursions in the midwest in the 8-9k range from used car lots. I know I'll have to order up a mobile inspection (costs about $100-150) and carfax (already done). Since I've never bought a vehicle outside of my driving distance I'm thinking the inspection and carfax can be done before I fly in to take possession and not pay until I get there and evaluate the truck for myself.

If anyone else has some tips for long distance purchasing or for prices on good running 2003-2005 6.0 Ex's under 10k I'm all ears.

Cheers!
Nate

Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Hey Nate, welcome to FTE!

Originally Posted by 00N8
Many other forums have an official pricing/buying thread where people that are looking at used rigs can ask the forum truck owners about pricing and buying issues.

Hopefully this is kosher with this group
Very kosher. Whenever people need help and advice, threads appear and the gang all chime in and help out when possible.

I think it could be a handy addition. Ideally it would be a sticky or somewhere easily located.
Individual threads that pop up when people need advice works really well, but your suggestion as a sticky thread is already being worked on.

I have been been working on a centralized, inclusive "buying" thread, with the foundation being a post authored by Nicmike found here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12361139 then adding it to the tech folder thread.

Along with the Mod Folder compilation that's been under construction, it will take time, but it will eventually happen.

I'll have to check out the links you posted to see if it's something that would fit in with the theme of the thread I have in my mind.

Stewart

Old 12-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the hell out of my Ex, but if I had to do it again, I would buy a 4WD... even in Houston where it would never get used. So many more options for lifting a 4WD, even if you just want a moderate amount of lift.

GL!

Old 01-17-2014, 12:25 AM
00N8
New User
I found an 2004 6.0l with about 120000 miles for 15k in good condition. It's 4wd, good Eddie Bauer leather seats.

KBB says 16.6k for fair condition up to $18k for excellent condition. How much under KBB do you guys see these going for? It's a private party sale.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:31 AM
00N8
New User
I've got the seller chewed down to 14k now. There is some oil leaking on the steering linkage I'm going to have the dealership inspect for me before doing the deal. Any feedback on price?

Old 01-18-2014, 06:57 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Exclamation More info

I've got the buyer chewed down to 14k now. There is some oil leaking on the steering linkage I'm going to have the dealership inspect for me before doing the deal. Any feedback on price?
I imagine you mean "the seller chewed down". The people on this forum have good eyes and will pick up on things rather quickly.

Any pics?

Carfax?

Previous accidents?

Most dealers post pics online, you are asking us to give an opinion sight unseen.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:08 AM
00N8
New User
Originally Posted by mecdac
I imagine you mean "the seller chewed down". The people on this forum have good eyes and will pick up on things rather quickly.

Any pics?

Carfax?

Previous accidents?

Most dealers post pics online, you are asking us to give an opinion sight unseen.
Ahh yes. No accidents, clean carfax. I don't have any pics handy. Seller didn't include any of his posting. It has some bumps on the passenger side by the rear tail lights, passenger mirror hit something a while back. Some sun damage to roof paint. All cosmetic. It does have a shimmy or shake at 75+ mph.

I took along a scanguage2 to do the ECT/EOT test but couldn't find the damn engine oil temp sensor in it. Was planning to ask dealership to test that.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:16 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Exclamation

Ahh yes. No accidents, clean carfax. I don't have any pics handy. Seller didn't include any of his posting. It has some bumps on the passenger side by the rear tail lights, passenger mirror hit something a while back. Some sun damage to roof paint. All cosmetic. It does have a shimmy or shake at 75+ mph.

I took along a scanguage2 to do the ECT/EOT test but couldn't find the damn engine oil temp sensor in it. Was planning to ask dealership to test that.

Not a bad price, concerned about the shimmy, is it felt through the steering wheel or the seat? Could be a wheel weight fell off.

As Sgt. Phil Esterhaus would say " Let's be careful out there."

Last edited by mecdac; 01-18-2014 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Wrong Sgt.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:19 AM
00N8
New User
Originally Posted by mecdac
Not a bad price, concerned about the shimmy, is it felt through the steering wheel or the seat? Could be a wheel weight fell off.

As Sgt. Stanislaus Jablonski would say " Let's be careful out there."
Primarily in the steering wheel, some shake in the seat. I was thinking out of balanced tires too. Wheels are bf Goodrich at, with about 5k miles. Steering wheel is out of alignment, the vehicle def needs a 4 wheel alignment.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:47 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My advice if you are looking at a 6.0 PSD is to look for one already bullet proofed. When I bought mine I was looking for a 6.0 that hadn't been messed with or tuned thinking I would start with a 6.0 that was solid and bullet proof it from there. I found one, got it for $12k, but after my bullet proofing I'm easy up at a $20k investment. Granted, the injectors crapped out a month after I got it, I did upgrade the turbo to a PowerMax while I was in there and I went for a power hungry FICM tune. But nonetheless, if you want a 6.0, pay more for one that already has the bulletproofing done. Your purchase price will be a few dollars more but your total investment all said and done will be lower. Sooner or later, the 6.0 will require some work with the injectors, FICM, EGR, Oilcooler and not unlikely the studs.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:51 AM
00N8
New User
Not seeing too many bulletproofed psds. The two I have seen are 20k+. That would be ideal, agreed. I'm just trying to find a low mile, very clean with minimal cosmetic and mechanical issues and seem to have found one for $14k.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
I agree it's a good find. Didn't want to put you off but rather give you my experience. I went into it purposely to do my own bulletproofing from a good starting point just so I would know exactly what I had. At 14k, you have room to do some upfixin' as needed and on your timescale. The 6.0 is a nice powerful engine and the transmission is a plus compared to other trucks. I say go for it!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Another point, my 6.0 never had any head gasket or stud failure. Now at 145k miles, I did the head stud upgrade simply because I wanted to. So, with that said a 6.0 doesn't necessarily need all the upgrades to be nice and reliable.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:52 AM
00N8
New User
Originally Posted by Magnus E
I agree it's a good find. Didn't want to put you off but rather give you my experience. I went into it purposely to do my own bulletproofing from a good starting point just so I would know exactly what I had. At 14k, you have room to do some upfixin' as needed and on your timescale. The 6.0 is a nice powerful engine and the transmission is a plus compared to other trucks. I say go for it!
Cool, the initial price is what I'm mostly looking for feedback on. Like you I'd rather do the upgrades myself and know I got quality aftermarket parts instead of the cheapest sinister egr delete kit out there slapped on by some shade tree mechanic who then calls it "bulletproofed". I expect to put 100-200k miles on it, slowly upgrade to the new front end clips, newer F350 seats, headlights etc and make it our long term trip mobile and trailer hauler.

Originally Posted by Magnus E
Another point, my 6.0 never had any head gasket or stud failure. Now at 145k miles, I did the head stud upgrade simply because I wanted to. So, with that said a 6.0 doesn't necessarily need all the upgrades to be nice and reliable.
I understand that upgrade alone costs 3-5k with the labor. I had the oasis report pulled and saw it had a rocker and head gasket issues at 16k miles which was replaced under warranty.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Primarily in the steering wheel, some shake in the seat. I was thinking out of balanced tires too. Wheels are bf Goodrich at, with about 5k miles. Steering wheel is out of alignment, the vehicle def needs a 4 wheel alignment.
Mine had some slight vibration at 70-75 mph. After replacing the shocks that went away.

Quick Reply: Official Excursion Pricing/Buying Thread