Sponsored by:

Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 AM
h20_guy33
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air intake

Wondering if anyone is seeing any benefits to using a cold air intake on our v10s? I always put one on my mustangs and they do make a difference on them. If you, what are you using. Found this chepo one on amazon for $80. Thoughts?

Amazon.com: 00-03 FORD Excursion V10 6.8L BLACK Cool Ram Air Intake Kit 02: Automotive Amazon.com: 00-03 FORD Excursion V10 6.8L BLACK Cool Ram Air Intake Kit 02: Automotive

Old 12-21-2013, 10:44 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I have one on my V10, I got a aluminum one off eBay and painted it myself. Swapped the dry filter for a K&N.

If I remember right it was under $70. It seems to be a good intake, but the rubber mount ripped, so I solid mounted it. And added some zip ties to keep the heat shield from flopping around.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:59 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2003-FORD-F150-F250-EXCURSION-V10-6-8L-SHORT-RAM-AIR-INTAKE-HEAT-SHIELD-KIT-/350708672421?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a7dda7a5&vxp=mtr
There it is.

And here's some instructions.
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...s/spe-9921.pdf

Old 12-21-2013, 11:50 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldn't do it. It's not "ram air" to start with and the stock air is plenty cold plus this will decrease the warm up time if the air is truly colder, plus you are forced to use a smaller, more expensive, less efficient filter. It sounds like one of those JC Whitney "extras" that don't do anything.
By the way; I have some magnets that go on the fuel line that increase MPG for only $10...........lol. This sounds more like a detriment than a benefit.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:27 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
I wouldn't do it. It's not "ram air" to start with and the stock air is plenty cold plus this will decrease the warm up time if the air is truly colder, plus you are forced to use a smaller, more expensive, less efficient filter. It sounds like one of those JC Whitney "extras" that don't do anything.
By the way; I have some magnets that go on the fuel line that increase MPG for only $10...........lol. This sounds more like a detriment than a benefit.
They don't do much, if any.
Why would you need 'warm up time' for intake air ? The colder, the better.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:34 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

A little cut with a sawzall n it gets lots of air. I like the reusable filters, plus with the prefilter it stops alot of fine dirt. It isn't any smaller than the stock filter, so it's got to flow just as good, if not better.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hav24wheel

A little cut with a sawzall n it gets lots of air. I like the reusable filters, plus with the prefilter it stops alot of fine dirt. It isn't any smaller than the stock filter, so it's got to flow just as good, if not better.
Won't that prevent some of the air to go thru your condenser/radiator?

Old 12-21-2013, 12:39 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
They don't do much, if any.
Why would you need 'warm up time' for intake air ? The colder, the better.
That's not true, warmer air = faster warm ups which is why there are devices in older engines to warm the air initially. They are capitalizing on the fact that cold air contains more oxygen = more HP BUT the stock system with it's great air filter actually ends at a relatively cold air chamber and this one has the little overly porous and exposed filter inside the warm engine compartment. The ram air effect is beneficial in some racing applications due to the packing of the cylinders with more air (and more oxygen) but there is nothing that resembles "ram" here even though they advertise it. So this whole thing is actually detrimental to the truck.......and your wallet.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:00 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
That's not true, warmer air = faster warm ups which is why there are devices in older engines to warm the air initially. They are capitalizing on the fact that cold air contains more oxygen = more HP BUT the stock system with it's great air filter actually ends at a relatively cold air chamber and this one has the little overly porous and exposed filter inside the warm engine compartment. The ram air effect is beneficial in some racing applications due to the packing of the cylinders with more air (and more oxygen) but there is nothing that resembles "ram" here even though they advertise it. So this whole thing is actually detrimental to the truck.......and your wallet.
The older engines was because they didn't have enough control over the fuel flow. Modern engines just crank up the amount of fuel to dump in the cylinders and voila.
Colder air does give better performance, in theory. As to how much, my guess is it is so little that it's not worth the cost of hardware.
My truck came with a banks system so I do not know how cold the air in a stock intake is.
Once at speed my intake temps are always very close to what the outside temp is. Your obd2 connection gives you the info.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:04 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

That's not true, warmer air = faster warm ups which is why there are devices in older engines to warm the air initially. They are capitalizing on the fact that cold air contains more oxygen = more HP BUT the stock system with it's great air filter actually ends at a relatively cold air chamber and this one has the little overly porous and exposed filter inside the warm engine compartment.
So, in your own words, warm air is better, so this intake must be better!

Just givin you a hard time. I didnt really see a performance gain with my intake, but I know it gets alot "fresher" air this way than stock, but just cutting the core support can do the same.

As for air flow through the condenser and rad with it cut, the difference isn't noticeable, plus there's a reasons there is a such thing as a fan shroud.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:07 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Won't that prevent some of the air to go thru your condenser/radiator?
Yes and the whole system was designed for best flow everywhere. The intake flow is surely 100% at 5000 rpm with the stock setup. The Ford engineers are not going to restrict the airflow even at high rpms and reduce their own HP and MPG. While the stock intake may look inefficient I assure you it's not. If Ford wanted to dip the end of the intake into outside air they could have easily done so. Also; cold air reduces MPG even though it contains more oxygen.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:11 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
So, in your own words, warm air is better, so this intake must be better!

Just givin you a hard time. I didnt really see a performance gain with my intake, but I know it gets alot "fresher" air this way than stock, but just cutting the core support can do the same.

As for air flow through the condenser and rad with it cut, the difference isn't noticeable, plus there's a reasons there is a such thing as a fan shroud.
Well, not better, just different..............and your wallet is now different.
Also, fresher?.........maybe smells fresher.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:47 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Yes and the whole system was designed for best flow everywhere. The intake flow is surely 100% at 5000 rpm with the stock setup. The Ford engineers are not going to restrict the airflow even at high rpms and reduce their own HP and MPG. While the stock intake may look inefficient I assure you it's not. If Ford wanted to dip the end of the intake into outside air they could have easily done so. Also; cold air reduces MPG even though it contains more oxygen.
And your source is ???????

Old 12-21-2013, 01:59 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
And your source is ???????
70 years of wisdom, 10 years of mechanicing, graduated from 2 auto mechanic training schools, 3 years of auto shop in high school, and 15 years of drag racing..........look it all up.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:43 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As one how admits to knowing nothing, don't the O2 sensors adjust the fuel mixture for the intake temperature making anything you do end up with the same result?

Quick Reply: Cold air intake