CODE636 TPS Voltage above normal - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

CODE636 TPS Voltage above normal

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-21-2013, 08:18 AM
markes12344 markes12344 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17
markes12344 is starting off with a positive reputation.
CODE636 TPS Voltage above normal

'92 F150 5.0l 302.

New motocraft Idle Air Control Valve
New motocraft O2 sensor
New NAPA TPS

Just wondering if the TPS yet as well needs to be motocraft or is there something else I need to be looking into that is giving the code 636 throttle position sensor voltage above normal.

Thank you for any advice/ answer.

Markes12344
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-21-2013, 11:18 AM
danr1 danr1 is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sand Lake, MI
Posts: 5,602
danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markes12344 View Post
'92 F150 5.0l 302.

New motocraft Idle Air Control Valve
New motocraft O2 sensor
New NAPA TPS

Just wondering if the TPS yet as well needs to be motocraft or is there something else I need to be looking into that is giving the code 636 throttle position sensor voltage above normal.

Thank you for any advice/ answer.

Markes12344
636 = TOT sensor out of range.

Tot = transmission oil temperature

Might be result running self test engine and trans not fully up to running temperature, might be a problem with the sensor or the computers connection with it.

Can test the TOT sensor see if it falls within range for given temp.

Should be Gray-red and ORG-blk wires, pins 42 and 46 PCM main harness connector (I'd test it there first)

All temps given in F,

32 - 58 = 37 - 100k
58 - 104 = 16 - 37k
105 - 158 = 5 - 16k
195 - 230 = 2.7 - 5k
195 - 230 = 1.5 - 2.7K
231 - 266 = 0.8 - 1.5K
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Puddy's Avatar
Puddy Puddy is offline
FTE Chapter Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,881
Puddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud of
I've also have had a bad tps from partsource that was screwy, when you installed it, did you position the tps correctly on that u shaped insert?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-21-2013, 01:30 PM
markes12344 markes12344 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17
markes12344 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy View Post
I've also have had a bad tps from partsource that was screwy, when you installed it, did you position the tps correctly on that u shaped insert?
Define correctly please.

the holes for mounting are slotted i noticed the notch within the tps for the bottom of the throttle rod to insert into. i do know it made proper insertion to the notch, [and i installed the tps so the wire was coming out the same side as factory.] my only thought of the improper install would be that with the slotted mounting holes i should rotate the tps to the other end of the slotted holes.


My Innova OBD1 scan gave the code 636, with the plain English translation saying, Ford KOEO, Throttle Position sensor voltage above normal.

With that being said I'm not saying the device can be wrong, if it does have to do with the TOT than I will have to manually test resistance. plus the engine was warm, but the transmission was by far not warm.
I will convert temps to centigrade, then do the ohms test on the leads.

If all else fails. Guess their may be further research needing done.

Thanx for the aid so far.

Markes12344
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2013, 02:19 PM
danr1 danr1 is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sand Lake, MI
Posts: 5,602
danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markes12344 View Post
Define correctly please.

the holes for mounting are slotted i noticed the notch within the tps for the bottom of the throttle rod to insert into. i do know it made proper insertion to the notch, [and i installed the tps so the wire was coming out the same side as factory.] my only thought of the improper install would be that with the slotted mounting holes i should rotate the tps to the other end of the slotted holes.


My Innova OBD1 scan gave the code 636, with the plain English translation saying, Ford KOEO, Throttle Position sensor voltage above normal.

With that being said I'm not saying the device can be wrong, if it does have to do with the TOT than I will have to manually test resistance. plus the engine was warm, but the transmission was by far not warm.
I will convert temps to centigrade, then do the ohms test on the leads.

If all else fails. Guess their may be further research needing done.

Thanx for the aid so far.

Markes12344
Yea the Innova booklet I have and chart here agree 636 is TOT Fuel Injection Technical Library Three-Digit Codes 587-656

At first I thought you where asking two different questions, one about the TPS and then one about TOT. Realized both one in the same after reading it again, knowing TPS codes are in the 120's trans in the 600's.

Manual for E4OD only lists two digit codes, 26 = same thing though "out of self test range", make sure the trans is warm, up to full running temp then rerun test again before doing doing bunch of resistance testing etc.

I could/would have included those temps in "centigrade" already but figured just want Fahrenheit, incorrect assumption on my part being in USA must admit didn't notice the "Ontario" part! sorry bout that...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Puddy's Avatar
Puddy Puddy is offline
FTE Chapter Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,881
Puddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud of
That's I thought it was regarding the tps. That's what I get for skimming, I apologize.
Tot is trans oil temp
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Puddy's Avatar
Puddy Puddy is offline
FTE Chapter Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,881
Puddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud of
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OBD II TPS question NotEnoughTrucks2014 Performance & General Engine Building 1 03-05-2017 12:37 PM
90 f150 5.0 fuel pumps and tps sensor justinsain1026 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 10 05-24-2014 04:29 PM
code 122 low voltage tps? spyder0382 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 9 12-03-2013 07:13 PM
Installing new TPS on '85 4.9 damnoldtrucker 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 7 04-16-2012 12:51 PM
Is it necessary to adjust TPS? gmk035 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 3 03-14-2010 06:09 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.