Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Need oil cooler gasket part # please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:08 PM
10fords
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need oil cooler gasket part # please!

Howdy all! First time posting on the Escape section of this forum so be gentle if I am asking a dumb question. My 2005 2WD 4 cylinder has a leak where the oil cooler mates to the oil filter housing. I took it apart and there is a rubber gasket that fits into a recess on the bottom of the cooler that seals to the filter housing that I can't seem to locate on any parts diagrams. I would like to order it online if possible as my nearest dealer is over an hour away, but if necessary I'll go there. It is not just a round gasket, but specifically made for probably just this one application. And I don't think RTV would work well. Has anyone replaced this part and have a source for it, or repaired it in a different way? Any help is appreciated. Thanks- Scott

Old 12-14-2013, 08:26 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You did not note hybrid or not.

See here:
Buy 2005 Ford Escape Parts | FordParts.com

Old 12-14-2013, 10:55 AM
10fords
Cross-Country
It's not a hybrid. From my searching I gather that it is called a "oil cooler mount o ring" and it seems to be unobtainable, and you have to buy a new cooler to get a $1 seal! Has anyone been able to find the seal itself, or fix the leak another way? Thanks- Scott

Old 12-14-2013, 11:14 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Measure the dimensions and see if you can find an oil filter with similar. Remove the seal from the oil filter groove, and install in your adapter. Industrial supply houses may have O-rings that will meet your needs.
I went to silverstate ford, rock auto, and ford-parts and only found things on the last.
tom

Old 12-14-2013, 12:37 PM
10fords
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by tomw
Measure the dimensions and see if you can find an oil filter with similar. Remove the seal from the oil filter groove, and install in your adapter. Industrial supply houses may have O-rings that will meet your needs.
I went to silverstate ford, rock auto, and ford-parts and only found things on the last.
tom
Unfortunately it's not a simple o ring. It is a certain shape and design that seems to seal 2 passages. I'm assuming it's oil in and oil out? I'm on my way out to a family Christmas party, but I will give it a good look tomorrow and see if maybe 2 separate o rings would work. I'm hoping somebody has had the same problem and came up with a solution other than buying another cooler, which to me is BS when it just needs a new gasket!!

Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
Mine leaks too but it is mostly an annoyance so I just ignore the spots on the driveway.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:52 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
did you guys note this part:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...d&model=Escape

Part Name: Engine Oil Cooler Gasket

Brand: Ford Genuine Parts

Part Number: 6840

Price: $8.85

Part Description: 2.3L Duratec-HE (145PS) - MI4

Old 12-16-2013, 10:58 PM
10fords
Cross-Country
did you guys note this part:

2005 Ford Escape Engine Oil Cooler Gasket | FordParts.com

Part Name: Engine Oil Cooler Gasket

Brand: Ford Genuine Parts

Part Number: 6840

Price: $8.85

Part Description: 2.3L Duratec-HE (145PS) - MI4
Tom- unfortunately that is the gasket that goes between the block and the filter/cooler housing not between the cooler and the housing. Thanks for trying though- Scott

Old 12-16-2013, 11:19 PM
10fords
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by jas88
Mine leaks too but it is mostly an annoyance so I just ignore the spots on the driveway.
That is what I had been doing also, but it recently got really bad when the weather got really cold, so I am forced to deal with it. If it was my daily driver I could nurse it along for a few more years checking and adding oil, but it is my wifes car so thats not a realistic option I will probably bite the bullet and order another cooler tomorrow as I have searched high and low for just the gasket (or o ring or whatever it is called) but been unsuccessful at finding one. If any Ford executives or engineers are reading this- YOU GUYS SUCK! How could anybody design something with a gasket that can't be obtained to replace a leaking one? The obvious answer is so you can sell a $150 oil cooler instead of a $1 gasket!!! May the fleas of 1000 camels infest your armpits!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:41 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

I have already replaced the gasket that goes between the cooler and the block, and the oil pressure switch as well, hoping to stop the leak, but no luck.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Take the thing apart, and get a picture of what you need. Maybe someone can recognize it and suggest a substitute.
Check on the adapter for a number and google. You may find that the adapter is made by Smedley Industries, just down the street, or is common in Europe, used on diesel and truck engines, and gaskets are available there.
The engine is not a native to USA, I believe it was an immigrant, so worldwide search may make sense.
If it part needed is indeed an O-ring, the checking with Granger & other industrial supply houses, or again, google with dimensions, might be successful.
If it is a molded gasket, depending on shape, etdc, use of some RTV to buttress the current material, where it has gotten compressed, may make it possible to re-seal without replacing.
Put up a picture, hopefully someplace besides photobucket.
tom

Old 12-18-2013, 11:54 PM
10fords
Cross-Country
Take the thing apart, and get a picture of what you need. Maybe someone can recognize it and suggest a substitute.
Check on the adapter for a number and google. You may find that the adapter is made by Smedley Industries, just down the street, or is common in Europe, used on diesel and truck engines, and gaskets are available there.
The engine is not a native to USA, I believe it was an immigrant, so worldwide search may make sense.
If it part needed is indeed an O-ring, the checking with Granger & other industrial supply houses, or again, google with dimensions, might be successful.
If it is a molded gasket, depending on shape, etdc, use of some RTV to buttress the current material, where it has gotten compressed, may make it possible to re-seal without replacing.
Put up a picture, hopefully someplace besides photobucket.
tom
Tom- I bit the bullet and ordered a new cooler. After numerous searches it seems nobody has figured out a way to outsmart the crooks at the Ford dealers. Being that this seems to be a very common leak and nobody on the whole internet has come up with a simple solution, I have to figure there isn't one If I do come up with something I will be sure to share it, but for now it looks like I'm SOL.-Scott

Old 12-19-2013, 07:33 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

After I replaced the gasket between the block and the cooler and it still leaked, I looked up the O-Ring on RockAuto and I remember it showing one, but now it's not there. Not sure if they have discontinued the part, or if my memory is not so good.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:32 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/maUg...C_u0bg/140.jpg

Item #1 in the pic?

Looks like this in real life:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/m-iL...6CdESg/140.jpg

If so, the blue seal is the likely cause, and it is weird shaped. If removable, I'd take it out, knead it a bit, coat it with RTV and put it back together. If you manipulate the neoprene{?} then it sometimes will realize it is out of shape, and re-form back to where it should be. If you then add some RTV silicone, it will 'fill in the gaps' and as it sets, will seal.
I do not know how to stuff pictures in, so hope the link works, at least for a minute.
tom

Old 12-19-2013, 10:18 PM
10fords
Cross-Country
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/maUg...C_u0bg/140.jpg

Item #1 in the pic?

Looks like this in real life:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/m-iL...6CdESg/140.jpg

If so, the blue seal is the likely cause, and it is weird shaped. If removable, I'd take it out, knead it a bit, coat it with RTV and put it back together. If you manipulate the neoprene{?} then it sometimes will realize it is out of shape, and re-form back to where it should be. If you then add some RTV silicone, it will 'fill in the gaps' and as it sets, will seal.
I do not know how to stuff pictures in, so hope the link works, at least for a minute.
tom
Tom- it is the blue seal in the pic. It wasn't out of shape or anything like that- just dried out and cracked. I don't think coating it with rtv would work either, but I didn't try it. I was going on the assumption that I am not the only cheap guy on the numerous internet forums that deal with these cars in great detail I have solved many problems with way more obscure vehicles thanks to internet car forums, but after hours of searching and reading any possible fix for my problem, I am at a dead end. Throwing in the towel and doing what the *******s at Ford want me to (buying a $150 oil cooler instead of replacing a $1 seal) is definitely not my style, but I need to get the car back on the road so I bent over and took it I would sure like to hear some stories of someone figuring out a way to fix the leak, but so far I haven't. Thanks for your efforts and if you figure out a fix please share it and I will do the same- Scott

Quick Reply: Need oil cooler gasket part # please!