Scratch built console - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Scratch built console

Old 12-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Drewski 2
Elder User
Drewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud of
Scratch built console

I recently spent a few hours butchering poster board trying to figure if I wanted to tackle building my own console or just make a salvage yard console fit. Since I usually always do everything the hard way, I decided to take a shot at building from scratch. I had planned to build it entirely out of fiberglass, but finally decided that a sheet of cheap thin plywood would give me a lot extra material to cut up and probably throw away.

I started out with poster board patterns.

Picked up a $14 sheet of plywood from Lowes and started cutting.

I made a lot of trips to the truck marking these panels for further trimming and needless to say the left and right sides won't be identical.

More to come.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:13 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.
Wow, lookin' good! Bein' a carpenter for 20+ years I can appreciate the work involved. When it's all done I'm sure it will shine like a brand new penny.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:21 PM
rhopper
Posting Guru
rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.
Drew, I was thinking something like that for my F1. I have a bench seat so I may drop straight down from the dash to the floor so I still have leg room for the grand boys. I only need to install a radio and relocate the center ac vents but alittle extra storage would be nice, too.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Drewski 2
Elder User
Drewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud of
I cut a base plate out of 1/2" plywood with appropriate openings for shifter mount and cable and drilled mounting holes so that each time I installed the console I could be sure it was going back in the exact same position. It also was cut to create curves in the side panels of the console so that I could get a way from the square look and allow the console to match the curvature of the seat bolsters. I used sheetrock screws , glue and spacer blocks and about every clamp that I had in my shop to hold this thing in shape until the glue set.

I had set up the patterns so that the console would include a waterfall up to the rear window. After sitting in the truck and thinking about it, I decided that it looked a little gaudy.

So I'm back to the drawing board on the waterfall portion. I guess I'll butcher some more poster board.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Drewski 2
Elder User
Originally Posted by toby tough View Post
Wow, lookin' good! Bein' a carpenter for 20+ years I can appreciate the work involved. When it's all done I'm sure it will shine like a brand new penny.
Thanks for the vote of confidence......I really don't know where this is going to wind up. I really hope to incorporate some more cherry wood into this console to match my instrument panel insert.

Originally Posted by rhopper View Post
Drew, I was thinking something like that for my F1. I have a bench seat so I may drop straight down from the dash to the floor so I still have leg room for the grand boys. I only need to install a radio and relocate the center ac vents but alittle extra storage would be nice, too.
It will certainly simplify the build if you don't have bucket seats to contend with.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:46 PM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
Drew, that looks really good! What will the top/face surface be? Will the base be finished wood or covered? Seems a shame to cover up that beautiful wood work.
Can't wait to see it finished...

Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM
bk53
Senior User
bk53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
nice. got a good esthetic and craft too. can't wait to see what you come up with.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:27 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
As always, Stunning work

Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
Drew,

I love it everytime you start a new thread. There is always something cool to look at and to get inspiration from.
Another nice project! Thanks for sharing

Bobby

Old 12-13-2013, 09:44 PM
yamagrant
Postmaster
yamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputation
ATTA BOY Drew. You are truley an inspiration. Keep up the good work.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:54 PM
drptop70ss
Posting Guru
drptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud of
Looks good, I had the same idea for mine, just havent decided on bench or bucket seats yet. I want to leave behind the seats for storage so either way I will be stopping the console in front or between the seats. I thought about making it out of wood and then fiberglassing over it so I could paint it.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.
Drew, I knew from your first cardboard console layout that it was going to look super and as usual you have pulled it off and put me to shame.

I think the waterfall look is cool but I like an elbow rest so why not incorporate an arm rest into your waterfall design???
Just one of my warped thoughts, hehe.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Drewski 2
Elder User
Moving right along........I guess I must have walked through the tuner section one time too many at the local cruise in....... cause I got the sudden urge to run to Wallyworld and buy a yard of the cheapest fleece I could find. $2.97 a yard got some designer orange and headed home. Lots of staple later stretching the fleece and around 30 ounces of polyester resin and the console is covered and ready for some mat placed in strategic locations. No resin where there will be a cutout for the shifter.

You will also notice that I made a change in the rear of the console. Haven't had a chance yet to cut off the excess fleece.

I'm really surprised how light the console has remained so far.

More to come if and when I figure out what the heck I'm gonna do next.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
underthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputation
Darn Drew, you make it look so easy. I've learned my limitations when it comes to working with wood, and they are all but non existent. Thanks, you journeyman craftsman give the rest of us inspiration, and let us know that maybe, just maybe, with a little instruction I/We just might be able to do something, that I/We would be willing to admit was ours. LOL I'm very serious, and grateful for all the lessons.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 AM
smallello
Elder User
smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.
That looks good! Are you going to paint over that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scratch built console

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.