Auto to Manual conv. Do I Need A Different PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:34 PM
jdale
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto to Manual conv. Do I Need A Different PCM?

I am in the process of converting a 2006 F350 auto to a manual. My question is do I need a PCM for a manual trans or will the auto PCM work? As of right now I have the clutch pedal position switch wired in exactly like the wiring diagram shows for a manual and I hit the key to start and it doesn't do anything. I'm wondering if there is a neutral safety switch circuit somewhere that is no longer connected since I removed the auto trans. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have read several threads on here about this but I need a for sure straight answer so I can move on with this project. Please help. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,726 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I am sure there is a neutral safety in the old harness somewhere that went down to the tranny.

After that, the engine may run, but you are going to get a lot of trouble codes, the auto computer is going to be looking for the auto sensors and wiring, and not finding them there is going to spit out a bunch of codes and turn on the engine check light. Will it let the engine run normally? I do not know.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 AM
jdale
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I am sure there is a neutral safety in the old harness somewhere that went down to the tranny.

After that, the engine may run, but you are going to get a lot of trouble codes, the auto computer is going to be looking for the auto sensors and wiring, and not finding them there is going to spit out a bunch of codes and turn on the engine check light. Will it let the engine run normally? I do not know.
I can probably find the neutral safety circuit and loop it back to itself if I look hard enough but I still don't want all the trouble codes popping up. I neglected to mention in my original post that I changed the engine to a 97 Cummins 12 valve so I'm not too worried about the engine running but I do want everything else to work correctly. If I have to find a manual PCM I guess I will but I was just trying to make use of what I already have. I have went to great pains on everything else on this truck to make sure it all works right so why stop now?

Old 12-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,726 Likes on 1,396 Posts
So the PCM is not even controlling a engine anymore? That means it will throw out even more codes.

You have a late model truck, and the engine computer is part of a network of computers on your truck that communicate between each other. For example, in the old days when fuel injection first came out, the engine would have two coolant temp sensors. One was for the old school gauge in the dash, and the other was for the engine computer. In your truck they only use one sensor, and it goes to the engine computer. The engine computer uses that info for what it needs, and it also sends this info over the network to the computer in the dash cluster. The computer up there will take this info and use it to drive the temp gauge in the dash.

Are there ways around all this, I do not know.