Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after warming up

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Natcox012
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems after warming up

alright my truck is having problems starting after warming up. Already I have replaced. Battery, starter and soleniod, alternator, fuel pump and tank, upper radiator hose, small hose from water pump and to intake, thermostat.

its start but it is very hard to after it is warmed up it does run a little on the hot side so i wonder if the typical 460 water pump is going out. because i replaced the small hose that leads into the water pump and it still swells a bunch like its going to pop with coolant at any time.. either that or the timing chain right? HOPE NOT!!! but any ideas from you guys.

also another problem the voltage on the alternator doesnt work, new alternator i know its charging, but the gauge dont work any ideas on that and cost?

Old 12-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not going to be the one to help you as I'm not that knowledgable yet, but I can tell you that you're more likely to get an answer if you tell us the year, model, and engine.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Natcox012
Senior User
well the make and model is under my name, and its a 88 f250 xlt 4x4
and i said typical 460 problems so thats the engine :P but there ya go

Old 12-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thwap!

The sound of Palm fitting forehead.

Sorry 'bout that.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:15 AM
dubcnea
New User
i had a similar issue on my 93 5.0. it turned out to be the fuel filter. i had replaced it with a motorcraft as it hadn't been changed in an unknown amount of time. then i started having the problem you're mentioning in regards to it not starting without several cranking seconds after it was warm.

changed the filter out to a cheaper fram and it starts much better now. i still have to prime it (turn key to on without starting, turn off, turn back on, then start engine) but it's 1000x better. try the filter. cheap way to start.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need a bit more info on the "it starts but it is very hard to after it is warmed up" part.
Does the engine turn over as fast as it does cold but takes awhile before it runs?
OR
Does the engine turn over more slowly than when cold like a weak battery?
If the latter is true it falls inline with many of Fords big block tantrums. Over time, and often with a rich fuel mix, carbon can build up on the pistons slightly raising the compression to the point that your starter starts to drag (turn over more slowly only after engine warmup). This was common on BB's in the 70's and 80's. An old school remedy is to induce water injection. This was usually done with a spray bottle filled only with water and misting directly into your carb while at high idle to a warmed up motor. This method had a tendency to break up the carbon and relieving the problem. Today you can buy an aerosol can of "engine tuner/decarbonizer" at your local parts house to accomplish the same goal more effectively.
If your symptoms are the former, I'd start with my fuel pump and filter. What normally happens is when you shut off your warmed up engine initially your engine will continue to heat up due to the lack of coolant circulation. On big blocks especially, due to their metal mass, your fuel reserve in the carb bowls will heat up and vaporize sometimes to the point of zip for fuel in your carburetor. Then it will require continued cranking of the motor to get your fuel pump to replenish liquid fuel back to your carb.s bowls before the motor will start. Make sense?
Are these symptoms new or has this truck been doing this right along?
Let us know which symptom your truck has so one of us can better help ya.
Capt'n

Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Natcox012
Senior User
Yea it's starts like a dead battery, hardly wants to turn over, but then seems like it gets a boost and then turns right over and tries to start. It has done this the whole time since I bought it.. As far as the carb issues I have efi, but since I just got the truck a month ago... I'm guessing it was a farmers so it set and if it set it could have gas in it which could add carbon to the pistons right...I have a feeling the front seal is goin out causing lower oil pressure might have something to do with it.. Just don't really want to rebuild cause of money and don't want to swap since it original...

Old 12-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
That's right...I remember now. 88 was the 1st year that Ford used EFI on the 460.
Have you tried retarding your ignition timing yet?

Capt'n

Old 12-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Natcox012
Senior User
Naa I haven't I'm not reall mech savvy yet :/ wish I was but dk how yet

Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
You may have to hook up with a friend that has some basic mechanical skills & tools that can perform some diagnostics to determine the actual cause of your problem.
A fuel injected motor that has an ECM controlling your ignition timing requires specialty equipment and tools that your average wrench usually doesn't have in his or her tool box.
Even a faulty charging system can give you the symptoms you describe. Cold, a decent battery will have recovered it's static charge (12-12.5 Volts DC) allowing for a normal starting engine but, after being somewhat drained from starting and without your alternator being able to put a charge back into your battery, along with your trucks normal electrical draw while running, you wouldn't have enough charge left in your battery for a normal start up like it was when it has sat long enough for it's battery to recover on it's own. You should have a volt meter in your dash. If you can get your truck to fire up check your volt gauge before and immediately after it's running....is the guage lower than before it started? Does the meter show more voltage after the motor has run for 10-15 minutes? If so, you may have a decent working charging system. You'll have to look elsewhere for the warm hard start problem. Good luck!
Capt'n

Old 12-08-2013, 12:45 AM
Natcox012
Senior User
Yea okay idk.. Voltage meter don't work either stopped after fuel pump went out....?? Has new alternator that was it but nope...

Old 12-08-2013, 07:57 PM
nebechanezer
Tuned
Check your ground wires, they are usually the first thing to check with any electrical problem. Very common to have problems with ground wires. I've chased the exact same problem with my 460, solenoid, rebuilt starter after i melted one, cleaned the battery cables. After I finally bought a new ground cable, i had much better results. I still have problems with slow turn over when i pull a load and restart when warm though.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:03 PM
nebechanezer
Tuned
Originally Posted by Natcox012
well the make and model is under my name, and its a 88 f250 xlt 4x4
and i said typical 460 problems so thats the engine :P but there ya go
And all posts are better if they are started with year, model, engine, tranny, any specs that would be helpful, so the people that spend a lot of time helping others on this site dont have to assume or piece together your info. Just common courtesy for free help, along with legible grammer and complete thoughts.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Natcox012
Senior User
Thanks guys I check after the snow apocalypse goes somewhat away..