1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Rear blower/fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 12:36 PM
dssocialwrk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear blower/fan issue

Hello,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
2003 - E350 with about 140,000 miles. The front blower/fan works fine. The rear blower/fan stopped working (with no real warning). This led me to believe it was an electrical issue. Ford dealer said it was the relay. Changed the relay ("H - blower motor"), but the rear blower still does not work. Checked fuses 13 (blower motor relay/blower motor) and 16 (auxiliary blower motor relay) in the power distribution box, but the fuses appear to be good. <o></o>
<o></o>
To operate the rear blower, there is a fan switch on the main dash. There is also a fan switch in the rear of the vehicle (on the ceiling). Neither switch causes the blower/fan to work at this point. <o></o>
<o></o>
Looks like the blower motor is located behind the battery on the firewall. However, is there a separate blower motor for the rear controls? If so, where is this located? <o></o>
<o></o>
I am looking for assistance; what should I check next? Maybe, it is an electrical connector at the switch itself. Any advice is greatly appreciated. <o></o>
<o></o>
Thanks,<o></o>
<o></o>
Dante

Old 12-04-2013, 04:48 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
This is a Club Wagon I'm assuming? If so the auxillary blower motoris located here:

#1 is blower motor

#2 is resistor network

That assembly is located in the left rear of your van behind all the interior trim.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:17 PM
dssocialwrk
New User
Thanks so much JWA!

Do you have a suggestion as to what to test first? Is it correct to assume that there would have been signs that the blower motor was going bad?

It is my understanding that since the blower does not work on high, the issue is likely not the resistor. However, in your picture there is a black "relay" to the right of #2. It is the same part as this:

More Information for FOUR SEASONS 36134

Is this a separate relay that is not in the power distribution box under the hood?

Thanks again,

Dante

Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 PM
dssocialwrk
New User
And, does anyone have a wiring diagram for this auxiliary blower?

Thanks,

Dante

Old 12-05-2013, 06:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
The blower motor can fail without warning so that wouldn't be too odd an event. Given that you have all speeds except I'd suspect the high speed relay.

That relay is indeed on the rear heater case.

Here are two schematics that might not be very legible:

Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 PM
dssocialwrk
New User
Thanks again. I truly appreciate the assistance!

You said, " Given that you have all speeds except". I am not sure what you mean by this. The front blower works fine on all speeds, but the rear blower does not work on any speed.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,

Dante

Old 12-06-2013, 06:54 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by dssocialwrk
Thanks again. I truly appreciate the assistance!

You said, " Given that you have all speeds except". I am not sure what you mean by this. The front blower works fine on all speeds, but the rear blower does not work on any speed.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,

Dante
Sorry Dante---too big a hurry to hit Submit Reply and didn't proof read!

What I meant to say was since (I thought you'd said) you have all (rear) speeds except High it might be the high speed relay--seems I was mistaken.

Since you have NO operation of the rear blower its most likely the blower motor itself. In order to best test this the wiring harness connector at the blower motor needs to be tested for power. If its present at that connector then its the motor.

If no power can be found there issues upstream have developed. The schematics I posted should be sufficient to trouble shoot all this.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:22 AM
Javan Brown
New User
It's been awhile but can you repost those schematics? They are no lonher showing up on the page

Originally Posted by JWA
Sorry Dante---too big a hurry to hit Submit Reply and didn't proof read!

What I meant to say was since (I thought you'd said) you have all (rear) speeds except High it might be the high speed relay--seems I was mistaken.

Since you have NO operation of the rear blower its most likely the blower motor itself. In order to best test this the wiring harness connector at the blower motor needs to be tested for power. If its present at that connector then its the motor.

If no power can be found there issues upstream have developed. The schematics I posted should be sufficient to trouble shoot all this.
Thanks a lot JWA

Old 11-30-2018, 04:55 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Javan Brown
Thanks a lot JWA
Wow---this is an old thread!

Not sure if the OP ever solved his problem---never did read any updates.