Sponsored by:

Coyote + ZF-5 + Dana 20

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:52 PM
apachesam
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coyote + ZF-5 + Dana 20

If anyone has installed the Coyote 5.0 and ZF 5, I would like to contact you for your insights.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Boba Fett
Elder User
This is just my opinion: coyote to zf is a total mismatch.... It is also going to be next to impossible without custom parts.... I am pretty sure the bell housing will not bolt from coyote to zf and the zf has in integral bell....
Here is my problem with two units: zf is a truck trans.... Coyote is a high revving engine.. They are kind of working in the opposite direction....
For ease on install I would go mod motor, conversion bell (if exists, but likely does I do not kno about mod motors) to either 3 speed stock, or nv, or other unit to Dana 20.... A nv 3550 probably would work for this application well.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Boba Fett
Elder User
Also nv does get somewhat of a rap as a breaker, and it is somewhat deserved... I have a stocker rube with one and it is still living thanks to a short throw shifter that is not well engineered ergonomically for the jeep.... It needs more of a bend in the shifter.... Which is for jeep but worked well in my bronco where I sent another one to see old hob behind a v8.... But you can get a jeep terminator from Rockland standard gear and that should last...

Old 12-02-2013, 07:28 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Coyote uses the same bell pattern as the modular.

A touchy engine to work with in a transplant, due to PATS and the need to locate sensors "just so". Post 3:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-folder.html

Old 12-02-2013, 09:07 PM
apachesam
New User
Boba Fett,

I have been looking into building a 5.8 EFI also. Several people have suggest spending extra and save the hour building the 5.8 and drop in the Coyote 5.0. As far as putting the Coyote and ZF 5 together, spend more money and BC Bronco in TX has already built the kit for both.

BC Broncos

Am at least a year out from buying the engine and transmission unless I come across a good deal. I am stating on the body and all the plumbing first.

Every engine and transmission have their pros and cons. I've also learned that everyone has their favorite.

The Coyote is being used in F150 with (I think) less hp, a different compression and wider toque ban. I still trying to find out exactly what the diff is.

From reading and talking to others, Its suggested that the ZF is stronger than the 3550, shifts smoother than the 4500 and has about the same ratios. Pricing online also show that its cheaper.

In any case, that's why I'm seeking anyone who has already done the deed and find out if they are having regrets or not.

Thanks for your thoughts. I still like the 5.8/NV3550 option as well.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm just starting to dig into all of this, but I'm not so sure I'd put a 3550 behind a built small block. To me it's sounding like a lighter duty trans that's better suited to lighter duty engines. I'm thinking of going with one behind my stock 302, but I think I'd go bigger with a 351, especially if I was planning on building up the 351 at all.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Hakk
Senior User
I have no good input here except to tell you that the Coyote is a great motor. I love it in my 2011 Mustang GT. Fun stuff

I say do it. The Coyote is way better than the older 4.6. It's a good, torquey motor that also winds up even better.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:16 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Coyote/ZF in a bronk

I thought the coyote WAS a 4.6!
Shucks, I'm ol school so don't know nuttin. That sounds as bad an idea as a DOHC in a truck, but again I godalada learn.

To follow a Coyote in a bronk peek right in here on our forum at House-o- Diesel's 2 - 3 yr. build thread. He geared the sucker even lower'n a ZF. (BTW: make sure U get the right ZF - aint there 3 or 4 of them?). The 4.1 goes in mine cuz it's got a bell for the ZF but the NV3550 would wrk in MY application. Ck the nv 4500 too.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:02 PM
apachesam
New User
Chad, Ford started making the 5.0 Coyote in 2011 Mustangs. They are now being used in some F-150s. You are right about the many ZFs. The one I would use is the ZF S547. Both VN3550 and 4500 can work and there are half a dozen specialty shops that have the kits. For my desires, the 3550 seems to be to light weight and the 4500 to heavy duty. I'm told the ZF S547 is a smoother shifter than the 4500 and has nearly the same gear ratios.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 PM
apachesam
New User
Can't delete

Old 12-15-2013, 08:07 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
coyote/ZF

Boy, this site gets more'n more content heavy,
keeps changin,
I can't even find the new PM method 2 post ya Sam.
(may B it's my dial-up & antique Mac laptop)
Was just gunna say:
hit up H-o-D. He's a pro fabricator and has done the bronk/coyote. Even better he's a real stand up guy so will entertain any Qs U have which is a nice benie of membership here

check his build thread, rig's not a mall crawler, runs some tough SoCal outback. Like Boba I thought of it as a "too high rever" for off rd but he throttles it down (I believe, I mean he's not Bajain').

Old 12-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
I would say that the dana 20 is your big weak link in that combination. Also I dont think the ZF would match up. Now I think the bronco would be small enough for a T-5 or T-56

Old 12-16-2013, 07:40 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Final Application is what it's all about

Originally Posted by Killgore
...Now I think the bronco would be small enough for a T-5 or T-56
Don't know those well but the app is an off rd 5oh. There's a 4 cyl and ? for the T5 (is T56 for a truck? which? is it 4 WD?). Some suggest the mazda 5, I don't (not durable enuff for this).

Like yer idea on 'dump the D20' but the 205 would be a nice (& inexpensive) drive train addition. A bit heavy tho (over 150lbs?). Bullet proof!

Tell us your full application ApacheSam. Every mod wrks with the other components toward a specific end goal (gotta be a systems thinker to mod well). A clear end picture throughout the build not only makes it achievable but also workable for the product sought. This is even more important due to the bronk's initial multi-purpose design. If not U end up w/a mishmash of parts and inability to truly complete the project. Wadda U want? mudder, crawler, street/strip racer, work vehicle (mine),hunter (80% rd/20% light off rd), show...
I know folk who use a subaru to hunt & have only ripped off 1 exhaust in 4 or 5 yrs. (& they go B A C K in a good ways)!

Old 12-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
I completely forgot we were talking about a 4x4 application. The t-5 is found behind 302s, 4.6s and 5.4s (I think), just the good ole five speed. There are lots of apps for the transmission itself though. The t-56 is the six speed double od, as would be found in the mustang now. I'm not sure what manuals would hook up that would work with 4x4 though (as the 4.6 was only offered with manual and 4x4 for a very short time) I imagine you could....maybe....adapt a small block t-19 or np435

Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 PM
tabascom16
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All the newer overhead cam engines are enormous in size compared to older engines. The 4.6L that has been around since the 90's is bigger that a fully dressed 460. There are reasons you don't see a 460 in an EB.

Good luck getting it down between the shock towers, get the steering around it, attach headers, still have inner fenders, and maybe even get the hood to close.

Internal displacement has nothing to do with the external dimensions.

Quick Reply: Coyote + ZF-5 + Dana 20