1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Alternator Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Here's some threads from the elec forum. Way too involved for me, but some people like fiddling with this stuff.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tall-help.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...terminals.html

Old 11-27-2013, 10:21 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Some comments on some of the stuff I've seen in this thread:

Originally Posted by bruno2
This write up gives some options on new 3 G's and where to get them. One the alt's puts out 235 amps. It puts out 60 when its not even turning.
An alternator that produces current at a stand-still would literally defy the laws of physics. Not happening.

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Ryan's alternator is a stock 130A unit with the stronger rectifier that I posted above.
There's nothing different about the case, windings or regulator/brushes.
I would think the DCR of the windings would contribute to maximum output rating in addition to the rectifier current capability. I have also seen some cases of higher-output alternators adding a fourth diode pair to the rectifier bridge (noted for completeness).

Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
He is probably using Schottky diodes as the rectifiers. They conduct much faster/better than other diodes.
Saying something "conducts better" is ambiguous because that doesn't target any specific metric. All diodes are effectively a short once forward biased, limited only by the power dissipation of the junction itself. Schottky diodes do have a lower forward drop, which is why they're popular in switching regulators, where semiconductor losses impact efficiency. However, that comes at the cost of higher reverse leakage current and a more gentle-sloping IV curve (meaning there is not as distinct as an "on" vs. "off" point as standard PN diodes). You could say they conduct "too much" I guess.

I don't see what that has to do with this discussion. All diodes, regardless of type, have a maximum forward current rating (typically specified in continuous, and pulsed).

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
130A is a reliability rating, not a setting.
The regulator sets the alternator to put out (whatever) current needed to keep the system at its set point (14.35V?)
100% correct. A lot of people get confused on this.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Bruno - Looks like your pulley will fit right on as my measurements are all within .010" of yours. The main issue, in my mind, is if the outer two grooves are actually the same size since from the picture it looks to me like the one on the right may be shorter than the middle one. Perhaps you could do as Jim suggested and measure the circumference? Or, we could measure when you come over to powder coat it. In any event, I believe that proves that the pulleys will interchange, and I know the one on Ray's 302 has the outer grooves the same size. So, the salvage should have some to pick from, although if your pulley doesn't have the two grooves the same then the one on the 351HO they have may not either.

Dave - Those links appear to be exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I can find a Ford fuse box that I can use to run the alternator through as well as to house the headlight relays. And, I know a good place to put it since I won't have the 1G regulator anymore.

fmc - Bruno was joking on the generation at idle, as he said when I commented on that. You just have to know him, and me for that matter, as we tend to poke fun at the other. But your point is taken on the operation for the regulator - it targets voltage and has no way of knowing the current the alternator is throwing.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I will run a new hot wire, suitably fused, to the sub-woofer which says it peaks at ~200 watts, so might pull 10 amps in spurts......

Depending on what amp you are using some "200W" amps will idle at 10amps(no sound or very low audio) from the battery!

Now days with class D amps(more $$$ ones) idle current is a moot point.

I ran my audio system(800W total in my 85 Caravelle) from a stock Chrysler 65Amp alternator just fine. The lights would dim at higher levels but I never had any problems till I got a kid in the back seat.....and removed the system due to her.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'm going with a Retrosounds 8100 that is 100 watts RMS/200 watts max. Pulls 400 ma at idle. Supposed to be fused @ 10 amps. Not all that much, really.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Same draw as a pair of 60W high beams @ 12V.
10A is not that much at all.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:41 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gary, I combed that thing over this morning and I cannot find a part number on it anywhere. Which is strange because there is typically a part number on everything. I could be over looking, but I didn't see one. Maybe the sandblasting will reveal something.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by bruno2
Gary, I combed that thing over this morning and I cannot find a part number on it anywhere. Which is strange because there is typically a part number on everything. I could be over looking, but I didn't see one. Maybe the sandblasting will reveal something.
Don't worry about the # as I won't be able to see a # on one that is mounted until I pull it. But, I can sure measure it before pulling. So, if yours has the outer two grooves the same and if the inner groove is close to the diameter of mine then I think I'm good. Could you measure them?

Old 11-27-2013, 09:38 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Yes, probably Friday I will measure them. My shop is 5 miles from the house and that is where it is.I was going to Redbox last night so I just ran by the shop to get pics and measurements for you. I should have brought it home with me.

When I was looking at the pics this morning it appeared that one of the two front grooves was bigger than the other. I looked at the pulley at the shop this morning and it appears one is for a wider belt? The front one looks wider.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, it does look wider in the pic. No worries about when to get the pics. I'm not going be able to go to the salvage for a while, and even then I can measure things while there.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
I was thinking about going to planeview Friday if they are open. They have several bullnose trucks out there. They have a diesel with the stuff RW (Paul) was saying he needed. Maybe he would like to go ?

Old 11-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Might look for a pulley for me. Please. I'll be busy getting ready for Janey's family reunion here on Saturday. But, I'll be available by phone if you boys want to discuss things.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Old 11-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
That's your Thanksgiving meal! Now I remember you telling me about that. Don't guess I've ever seen a picture of it, though. And I think I know why.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:52 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
That's just one of the sides. It sounds good , but I don't like sweet potatoes.

Quick Reply: Dad's Alternator Dilemma