Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Lockouts VS. Autolocks

 
  #16  
Old 11-24-2013, 12:50 PM
MT4x4guy
MT4x4guy is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 180
MT4x4guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Encho,

What is odd, is if you look at the next message where it is first quoted, the hubs are noted correctly!
 
  #17  
Old 11-24-2013, 01:27 PM
arctic y block's Avatar
arctic y block
arctic y block is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island Southeast Alaska
Posts: 14,325
arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
When I first got the Bronk I took off the autos and put Warn premium's on. Never looked back.
The bottom pic above of the Standard's look just like what all 6 of my
Rangers had on them. They was always breaking in some way. I have the Auto hubs
I took off and they are in great shape. If anyone wants them PM me and pay shipping. I will never use them.
When I installed the premiums I lubed them lightly with molly lithium.
Even when freezing and muddy my young boys can turn them in or out.
 
  #18  
Old 11-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Nothing Special's Avatar
Nothing Special
Nothing Special is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Roseville, MN
Posts: 4,394
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Encho View Post
There is a false statement in the second picture, that is a STANDARD hub, the premiums still look like in the picture above, and require the full turn.
Oops, typo. I'll fix it in my post.

Originally Posted by MT4x4guy View Post
Encho,

What is odd, is if you look at the next message where it is first quoted, the hubs are noted correctly!
In the original picture I had the hubs named correctly, that picture was the one quoted by Seabiscuit. But I had the age of the Premiums wrong, plus I realized that saying "2 months old" wouldn't mean so much if this thread gets pulled up a while from now, so I "corrected" that but blew it worse. I think the picture is right in my post now, but the first two versions still show up where Seabiscuit and Encho quoted them. And no, I'm not trying to hide anything but the editing (I hate it when people edit their posts after being called out on an error and make it look like they hadn't been wrong). I am putting "reasons for editing" in as I edit my posts. And Encho, thanks for catching my error.
 

Last edited by Nothing Special; 11-24-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added response to MT4x4guy
  #19  
Old 11-25-2013, 09:26 PM
eakermeld's Avatar
eakermeld
eakermeld is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Central,MO
Posts: 2,164
eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for all the good info. I think i will try being lazy for a while and put on the autolocks first. If they give any trouble, out the door they go! I have one other question, When I swapped the hubs off the 94 ttb, the autolocks had a spacer and snap ring behind them on the stub shaft. The manuals on the 93 D60 did not. The D60 stub shafts do not have a groove for the snap ring. Can I put the spacer on without the snap ring and not have any issues or do I need to fab a groove with a die grinder? My 89 ttb has manuals but I didn't look to see if it has spacers and snap rings. Whaddaya think?
 
  #20  
Old 12-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Nothing Special's Avatar
Nothing Special
Nothing Special is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Roseville, MN
Posts: 4,394
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Nothing Special View Post
All Warn hubs used to take almost a full turn to lock or unlock. The Warn web site when I was looking for hubs this summer claimed that they all still did. But when I got the standard hubs they were only about 1/4 turn to lock and unlock, and they were spring loaded into the lock position with a detent to hold them unlocked. So to unlock them you just barely move the dial and it snaps all the way to lock. It's still pretty easy to turn it back to unlock too. I don't know if that means Warn is changing all of their hubs, or if it's just the standards.

But the significant difference for me between premium and standard is how easy it is to grab the dial. The premiums have smaller, shallower pockets to het your fingers into, so they are harder to grab.

If the standard hubs break on me I'll sure wish I had gone for the premiums. But if it's just that the plastic is crazed in 10-20 years, I'll be happy to put new standard hubs on then.
They haven't broken, but I wish I'd have got the Premiums already. My Warn Standard hubs won't disengage reliably. Manual hubs often don't really engage or disengage when you turn the dial, but rather they get spring loaded to move once they aren't loaded.

But on these new Warn Standards the dial wants to spring to the "locked" position once you turn them out of the detent at "free." At first they would always stay in the "free" position until they unlocked, but now that it's cold one of them always pops the dial back to "lock" and it never disengages.

I'm going to have to figure out how to contact Warn...
 
  #21  
Old 12-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Seabiscuit-P3's Avatar
Seabiscuit-P3
Seabiscuit-P3 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Outside of FCI Sheridan
Posts: 10,720
Seabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Nothing Special View Post
They haven't broken, but I wish I'd have got the Premiums already. My Warn Standard hubs won't disengage reliably. Manual hubs often don't really engage or disengage when you turn the dial, but rather they get spring loaded to move once they aren't loaded.

But on these new Warn Standards the dial wants to spring to the "locked" position once you turn them out of the detent at "free." At first they would always stay in the "free" position until they unlocked, but now that it's cold one of them always pops the dial back to "lock" and it never disengages.

I'm going to have to figure out how to contact Warn...
Something certainly isn't right. Wrong or insufficient grease? Water trying to freeze? I've never had this particular problem. There have been a few times I've had to back up in an "S" fashion so that I could even turn the dial to unlock, but never had it "spring" to either position.

Warn Industries - Contact Us
 
  #22  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 AM
White Max's Avatar
White Max
White Max is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Imperial, MO
Posts: 948
White Max has a good reputation on FTE.White Max has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Nothing Special View Post
But when I got the standard hubs they were only about 1/4 turn to lock and unlock, and they were spring loaded into the lock position with a detent to hold them unlocked. So to unlock them you just barely move the dial and it snaps all the way to lock. It's still pretty easy to turn it back to unlock too. I don't know if that means Warn is changing all of their hubs, or if it's just the standards.
The standard Warn hubs have been quarter turn for at least ten years now. No problems to report with mine, and they've been "exercised" at least three times a week for the past eight years, not to mention the abuse they saw previously.
 
  #23  
Old 12-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Nothing Special's Avatar
Nothing Special
Nothing Special is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Roseville, MN
Posts: 4,394
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit-P3 View Post
Something certainly isn't right. Wrong or insufficient grease? Water trying to freeze? I've never had this particular problem. There have been a few times I've had to back up in an "S" fashion so that I could even turn the dial to unlock, but never had it "spring" to either position.
With the one set of Warn standards I had before (OE on an '85 F-250) and many sets of Warn premiums, turning the dial to "free" usually stretched some springs inside the hub which stayed stretched until the hub got unloaded at which time the inner workings of the hub would unlock. Because of those springs you didn't need to back up in an "S" or anything to turn the dial. But the dial pretty much stayed wherever you put it. The new standard hubs I have also have a torsion spring that snaps the dial to the "lock" position. They did that even before I installed the hubs. A detent holds it in the "free" position, and once you're out of the detent the torsion spring snaps it to the "lock" position.

But what happened yesterday was that I turned the hub to "free" and it snapped right back to "lock." I tried 3 or 4 times before it stayed in "free", but then driving home I had the tell-tale vibration that means a hub is still locked. When I got off the freeway and looked at it, the dial had popped back to the "lock" position.

By the way, after a few more tries at home I got it to stay in the "free" position again. It was still there in the morning, I had no vibration driving to work, and it's still in the "free" position after driving to work. So I'm OK right now. But I'm not happy with these hubs.

I did find the "contact" info on Warn's web site last night, but haven't heard back yet.

Originally Posted by White Max View Post
The standard Warn hubs have been quarter turn for at least ten years now...
Odd, when I was shopping on-line for these hubs this summer I know I saw a web site saying the standards required 0.9 turns to lock/unlock, and it was being touted as a good feature (which I now agree with). I was thinking that was the Warn web site (I know I looked at Warn and one or two retailers). So I was assuming it was a recent change.
 
  #24  
Old 12-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Seabiscuit-P3's Avatar
Seabiscuit-P3
Seabiscuit-P3 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Outside of FCI Sheridan
Posts: 10,720
Seabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputationSeabiscuit-P3 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Nothing Special View Post
With the one set of Warn standards I had before (OE on an '85 F-250) and many sets of Warn premiums, turning the dial to "free" usually stretched some springs inside the hub which stayed stretched until the hub got unloaded at which time the inner workings of the hub would unlock. Because of those springs you didn't need to back up in an "S" or anything to turn the dial. But the dial pretty much stayed wherever you put it. The new standard hubs I have also have a torsion spring that snaps the dial to the "lock" position. They did that even before I installed the hubs. A detent holds it in the "free" position, and once you're out of the detent the torsion spring snaps it to the "lock" position.

But what happened yesterday was that I turned the hub to "free" and it snapped right back to "lock." I tried 3 or 4 times before it stayed in "free", but then driving home I had the tell-tale vibration that means a hub is still locked. When I got off the freeway and looked at it, the dial had popped back to the "lock" position.

By the way, after a few more tries at home I got it to stay in the "free" position again. It was still there in the morning, I had no vibration driving to work, and it's still in the "free" position after driving to work. So I'm OK right now. But I'm not happy with these hubs.

I did find the "contact" info on Warn's web site last night, but haven't heard back yet.



Odd, when I was shopping on-line for these hubs this summer I know I saw a web site saying the standards required 0.9 turns to lock/unlock, and it was being touted as a good feature (which I now agree with). I was thinking that was the Warn web site (I know I looked at Warn and one or two retailers). So I was assuming it was a recent change.
I'm aware of the springs and how they pop the internals into the catch or detent. Still have had them lock up and had to do the serpentine backing to get them out. Used to be that you could buy "rebuild" kits for them that used to have those springs in them. Don't know if those are still available or not and certainly should not be a problem with a new installation.

I have never had them move, on their own, from whatever position I have moved them too like you were describing though.
 
  #25  
Old 12-06-2013, 01:54 PM
White Max's Avatar
White Max
White Max is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Imperial, MO
Posts: 948
White Max has a good reputation on FTE.White Max has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Nothing Special View Post
The new standard hubs I have also have a torsion spring that snaps the dial to the "lock" position. They did that even before I installed the hubs. A detent holds it in the "free" position, and once you're out of the detent the torsion spring snaps it to the "lock" position.
That's a new one (to me at least). I wonder why Warn thought that was necessary. That sounds like it will be an issue as the detent wears down over time from use.
 
  #26  
Old 02-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Nothing Special's Avatar
Nothing Special
Nothing Special is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Roseville, MN
Posts: 4,394
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
Thought I'd close the loop on my Warn Standard hub that wouldn't stay unlocked. It always seemed to work better when it was warmer, and worse when it's colder, but this in Minnesota in the winter. After having to keep them locked for 3 straight weeks because I couldn't get the one to stay unlocked it was time to do something.

Warn had gotten back to me and was sorry I was having trouble and suggested I contact the place I bought them. Long story short, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard sold me a new set of Warn Premiums. After I had swapped them I returned the Standard's and they refunded my original purchase price of the Standards, the original shipping & handling fee, and my return shipping cost! The Premiums seem to be functioning just fine!
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
v10hawkeye
Excursion - King of SUVs
14
04-30-2015 03:49 AM
Baatzy
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
28
01-23-2015 09:55 AM
Greg5OH
1999 to 2016 Super Duty
0
07-07-2014 01:50 PM
dhag911
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
14
12-12-2013 03:00 AM
clemgolf
1999 to 2016 Super Duty
1
12-15-2010 02:43 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lockouts VS. Autolocks


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.