1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Powerstroke dreams

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:20 AM
Nicktitan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerstroke dreams

Has anyone ever considered swapping a 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo-Diesel into one of these bad boys? I've dreamed about dropping one in an extended/crew cab for a while. Best diesel ever in the best truck style on God's green earth sounds like a winning combo to me. Thoughts?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:45 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Ive owned four power strokes including the 97 I have now; definitely not the best diesel ever. Dont get me wrong; the Ford is the best truck but the powerstroke is not the cats meow. They are limited on making power, a computer and all the wiring, and all the ****ty sensors are a pain in the butt. The injectors and the glowplugs can be a pain as well. 94 to 96 p-pump cummins blows it away. ONE wire to make it run because it is mechanically injected. Cheaper to obtain and you can get an adapter to run virtually ANY transmission available. Easily will make WAY more power than a powerstroke for much less money. WAY easier to work on. Will get much better gas mileage. A cummins has 40% few parts than a power stroke. I am currently putting a 4BT cummins in a 67. When that is finished the powerstoke is getting sold and I am starting a 63 Galaxie with a P-Pump 6BT

With that being said, yes it has been done. Someone on here is doing a 7.3 swap right now. There are also some 6BT cummins swaps going now as well.

IMO, stay away from that powerstroke mess for a swap; the cummins would be much easier.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Nicktitan
Senior User
Thats the thing, I know the Cummins is every guys wet dream, but I just like the PS better. I've had 4 of them after all.
Plus I think they sound better and we are a Ford and International family, after all
Either way, this project is WAAYY down the line, so who knows? I may get swayed over to the dark side yet.

Also, a classic beaut like a Galaxie with a diesel in it? Not too sure about that one man, that kinda seems....sacrilegious

Old 11-17-2013, 10:03 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Cause theres not enough Galaxies with ford motors in them? Whatever suits you. BTW, Ford put cummins in some of their heavy-duty commercial vehicles. International is just another manufacturer; has nothing to do with "FORD". Good luck with your swap.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Nicktitan
Senior User
Not enough Galacies with ford motors in them? I don't understand. They ALL had Ford motors in them?

And I know that. Its not like any of the manufacturers have a "thing" together, what I meant was we as a family enjoy Fords and we also enjoy cornbinders (Internationals). (There were Nat trucks back in the day, just to be clear in case you didnt know.) So, in keeping with tradition, stay with our Cornbinder-Ford tandem.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:00 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd like to see more sweet built v8 fords and maybe a power stoke or more uncommon builds seems like everyone's doing the cummins swap makes me lose my motivation. There has been acouple power stoke swaps on here with good info along with on other sites I'm a member of I'd like to see your build if you start one