1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Compartment Heat Shield issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Andy_W
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Compartment Heat Shield issue?

Hi All,

New to Ford Trucks, New to Powerstrokes, New to this forum.

Recently purchased a CPO 2009 F250SD 6.4L. Happy with the truck overall but this AM I noticed a slight burning plastic smell so I opened the hood and looked around closely. Didn't really find the culprit(I don't think) but noticed that the engine compartment heat shield/barrier appears to be falling down above and behind the turbos (pictures linked below). How big a deal is this? Would it be covered under the CPO warranty? It almost seems like a safety issue. I also wonder if the insulation material, now exposed without the metal reflector material, is what is causing the smell. Anyway, any help appreciated!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:35 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
tie it up. While rare there have been a couple of fires because of it.

Use some zip ties and secure it to these silver clips.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Andy_W
Freshman User
Thx, senix! I am going to see if this qualifies under my CPO warranty..if there have been fires I can imagine they would be willing to fix it.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 PM
senix
Super Moderator
they might be willing to replace it with a new piece. But I have only heard of a couple of fires due to it...so most likely they will not know, of course.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
It may be helpful to have the article in hand when you go in to ask.
If someone has a link that they can post for you. Print it out and
take it in with you.

Sean

Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Andy_W
Freshman User
Thx guys. I submitted the NHTSA email and am waiting on a reply from my dealer.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:48 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
I had the dealer replace the whole piece on mine as it was the same as yours pictured. It was covered under warranty.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_W
Thx guys. I submitted the NHTSA email and am waiting on a reply from my dealer.
Keep us posted, Andy_W; I'm always just a PM away if you need any additional assistance.

Crystal

Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Andy_W
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FordService
Keep us posted, Andy_W; I'm always just a PM away if you need any additional assistance.

Crystal
Thx, Crystal. Appreciate it. The catch is that it isn't *specifically* mentioned in the CPO warranty covered items. Also, the dealership service manager never responded to my inquiry(and, TBH, I didn't feel like the hassle of going back and forth about it...I already had to get the GM involved for them to replace the belts that started squealing on the way home the first day because they were very worn and to fix the driver's seat heater that didn't work...both items that were clearly on the CPO inspection checklist). So I just put the heat shield back in place myself with hi-temp spray adhesive. Doesn't look pretty as the reflective material that was down was crumpled/blackened(yes...blackened) and doesn't fully cover anymore but I guess I will get some heat reflective tape/sheets and re-cover that area myself. It still irritates me that it was a CPO and it was sold to me this way. In the long run it (hopefully) won't be a big deal as I don't feel it is a safety issue now that it is, at least, back in place.

Sorry to all if I sound petty...I fully expect used cars to have some issues and I am OK with that. But a CPO off the lot shouldn't have 3 major issues right off the bat (the bad belts, broken heater and this broken heat shield) IMO. That's why I paid more for the CPO, right? To be fair, the GM *did* make it right for the belts and heater once he got involved, and I never addressed this particular issue with him, mainly because I didn't want to go through the hassle again (the dealership is 80 miles away) and this wasn't specifically on the CPO checklist or CPO warranty list like the other things were(although I do think a tech inspecting the engine compartment should've noticed it and applied common sense).

Old 11-27-2013, 07:04 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Thx, Crystal. Appreciate it. The catch is that it isn't *specifically* mentioned in the CPO warranty covered items. Also, the dealership service manager never responded to my inquiry(and, TBH, I didn't feel like the hassle of going back and forth about it...I already had to get the GM involved for them to replace the belts that started squealing on the way home the first day because they were very worn and to fix the driver's seat heater that didn't work...both items that were clearly on the CPO inspection checklist). So I just put the heat shield back in place myself with hi-temp spray adhesive. Doesn't look pretty as the reflective material that was down was crumpled/blackened(yes...blackened) and doesn't fully cover anymore but I guess I will get some heat reflective tape/sheets and re-cover that area myself. It still irritates me that it was a CPO and it was sold to me this way. In the long run it (hopefully) won't be a big deal as I don't feel it is a safety issue now that it is, at least, back in place.

Sorry to all if I sound petty...I fully expect used cars to have some issues and I am OK with that. But a CPO off the lot shouldn't have 3 major issues right off the bat (the bad belts, broken heater and this broken heat shield) IMO. That's why I paid more for the CPO, right? To be fair, the GM *did* make it right for the belts and heater once he got involved, and I never addressed this particular issue with him, mainly because I didn't want to go through the hassle again (the dealership is 80 miles away) and this wasn't specifically on the CPO checklist or CPO warranty list like the other things were(although I do think a tech inspecting the engine compartment should've noticed it and applied common sense).
I too would have a certain expectation of a quality once over, fixing all known and apparent issues. This clearly was not done in this case.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Andy_W
Freshman User
OK...so I fixed it myself and figured I would post pics in case anyone else wants to fix theirs.

The insulation material stayed up but the reflective material would not take. (see next two pics):

To make it so the new heat shield material would take I had to cut out a piece of the reflective material:

here is the replacement material.

I also used some heat tape.

Here is the finished product...if it stays up I'll call it better than new.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Good job!

Josh

Old 11-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Andy_W
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Good job!

Josh
Thx! I'll reserve judgement until it proves it will last...

Old 11-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Thx! I'll reserve judgement until it proves it will last...
Looks better than the OE material... Hope it does hold up for ya.

Josh