Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

buying a 03 and need some long term life advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 02:20 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck on the red one, it's a nice looking truck! I hear you on the not wanting to fix anything. I hate buying something that need repair unless it is just to good a deal to pass up.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scaler ! If your looking for a clean crew cab my buddy wants to sell this! 130k 99 F350 4x4. He wants $10500 !Can get more pics if you want!

Smokie

Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 AM
barnhartred
Junior User
In may I bought a 2001 with the 7.3 with only 26,3xx on the clock. It shows a new bottom of truck is clean enough to eat off of.it is bone stock. I did pay more than I wanted but I feel I got a good deal @ 19,800 plus I got 5,000 for my wore out 3/4 ton serria. I wrote them a check and am very happy with the truck except I went to change the fuel filter and bought a Motorcraft filter and had to buy an after market lid because previous filter had lid built in. tried 2 lids bot leaked. after washing the truck with diesel fuel, said screw it ordered OEM lid and it's on its way

Old 11-13-2013, 05:35 AM
excavator
Senior User
There are always deals to be found.
I just bought this 1999 CC F350 140000 miles for 4000.
I knew the truck since new as one of my customers bought it new.
He started to have the usual torque converter rattle 3 years ago and I always offered to buy when he was tired of noise. This past fourth of July he sold it to me for Four thousand. I will replace the converter.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by excavator
There are always deals to be found.
I just bought this 1999 CC F350 140000 miles for 4000.
I knew the truck since new as one of my customers bought it new.
He started to have the usual torque converter rattle 3 years ago and I always offered to buy when he was tired of noise. This past fourth of July he sold it to me for Four thousand. I will replace the converter.
Brother! you got the deal of the century there my friend! Nice lookin dually!

Smokie

Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 AM
gcspray
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Truly clean original low mileage original 7.3's are a rare find, as so many owners either work the crap out of the trucks and/or modify them to the point of no return.

We purchased our 2002 F-350 CC dually brand new in 02. The truck is a very highly optioned XLT with the 7.3 PS, six speed stick, 4x4, 4:10 gears, HD tow package, and digital PTO controller. For fluff options it has the dual six way power captain's chairs, CD6, is all power, with all electric.

The truck is bone stock and has never been in an accident. I installed a B&W gooseneck hitch with the reversible hid-a-ball, with a 5th wheel adapter, but have never used the gooseneck hitch. The truck had a ARE matching fiberglass tonneau cover and a Bed Rug installed when it was one week old, so the floor of the bed looks brand new and unused.

The truck has been used to tow a 4K boat, a 6K race car trailer, and an 8K 5th wheel, so it has never been overloaded or overworked. It has 49K actual miles on it and spends most of its time in our garage. The undercarriage still looks brand new and has the chalk marks visible on the parts from the time of assembly. Zero rust, and no dirt.

As for repairs and maintenance, the local Ford dealership has done it all by the book. The brakes were upgrade to Powerslot rotors, and Hawks Superduty pads. The tires were upgraded to Michelin E rated radials.

The only mods are to the sound system which features an updated CD6 with aftermarket amps, a Kicker subwoofer, and Rockford Fosgate speakers. Everything is mounted out of sight so the truck retains its stock look. The CD6 has an interface to allow one to play internet radio through the system, and an additional 12 disc Pioneer CD changer remote mounted behind the rear seat. So, yeah, we have 18 CD's and internet radio at our fingertips with a stock HU.

Where an I going with this?

The truck was recently appraised for insurance purposes.

26K is the amount of the appraisal, which was verified by a second independent source. The insurance company readily agreed to insure the truck for that amount. Of course for me loss of the truck even with good insurance coverage would be a nightmare for us. Why? because it can't be replaced, not even for 26K. There is nothing on the market that I prefer to own. The 7.3 is not the most up-to-date diesel on the market, but is one of the most dependable workhorses ever built. The six speed stick shift, while not everyone's first choice is a built-proof unit that gets the job done. And it really allows the driver to maximize the torque produced by the 7.3.

We do the car show circuit, and I regularly run with owners of newer model diesel trucks of all different brands. The old 7.3 can keep pace with any of them.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gcspray
Truly clean original low mileage original 7.3's are a rare find, as so many owners either work the crap out of the trucks and/or modify them to the point of no return.

We purchased our 2002 F-350 CC dually brand new in 02. The truck is a very highly optioned XLT with the 7.3 PS, six speed stick, 4x4, 4:10 gears, HD tow package, and digital PTO controller. For fluff options it has the dual six way power captain's chairs, CD6, is all power, with all electric.

The truck is bone stock and has never been in an accident. I installed a B&W gooseneck hitch with the reversible hid-a-ball, with a 5th wheel adapter, but have never used the gooseneck hitch. The truck had a ARE matching fiberglass tonneau cover and a Bed Rug installed when it was one week old, so the floor of the bed looks brand new and unused.

The truck has been used to tow a 4K boat, a 6K race car trailer, and an 8K 5th wheel, so it has never been overloaded or overworked. It has 49K actual miles on it and spends most of its time in our garage. The undercarriage still looks brand new and has the chalk marks visible on the parts from the time of assembly. Zero rust, and no dirt.

As for repairs and maintenance, the local Ford dealership has done it all by the book. The brakes were upgrade to Powerslot rotors, and Hawks Superduty pads. The tires were upgraded to Michelin E rated radials.

The only mods are to the sound system which features an updated CD6 with aftermarket amps, a Kicker subwoofer, and Rockford Fosgate speakers. Everything is mounted out of sight so the truck retains its stock look. The CD6 has an interface to allow one to play internet radio through the system, and an additional 12 disc Pioneer CD changer remote mounted behind the rear seat. So, yeah, we have 18 CD's and internet radio at our fingertips with a stock HU.

Where an I going with this?

The truck was recently appraised for insurance purposes.

26K is the amount of the appraisal, which was verified by a second independent source. The insurance company readily agreed to insure the truck for that amount. Of course for me loss of the truck even with good insurance coverage would be a nightmare for us. Why? because it can't be replaced, not even for 26K. There is nothing on the market that I prefer to own. The 7.3 is not the most up-to-date diesel on the market, but is one of the most dependable workhorses ever built. The six speed stick shift, while not everyone's first choice is a built-proof unit that gets the job done. And it really allows the driver to maximize the torque produced by the 7.3.

We do the car show circuit, and I regularly run with owners of newer model diesel trucks of all different brands. The old 7.3 can keep pace with any of them.

Well said friend!!

Smokie

Old 11-13-2013, 10:07 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
well just sent over pictures of my truck so they can give me a trade in valve, freaking dealer still wont talk about dropping money on the 03 though......

Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
well i just got the call i thought i never wanted, dealer sold the truck this morning to a guy with a messed up 6.0 he traded........paid asking price to get rid of the 6.0

Old 11-13-2013, 11:54 AM
gcspray
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
well i just got the call i thought i never wanted, dealer sold the truck this morning to a guy with a messed up 6.0 he traded........paid asking price to get rid of the 6.0
Sorry to hear that one got away. The dealers are't going to negotiate on really nice low mileage 7.3's, because they don't have to. Keep looking, something good will come your way.

I looked for a F-350 single wheel CC with a 6 box for a beater truck for three years, and was not able to find a cheap one that was not junk. I found a couple of real sweet units, but the price was too high. I also found a lot of garbage that I would not consider at any price. I finally gave up and bought a real nice low mileage one owner Expedition XLT 5.4 with the off road package for a lot less money and use it as my beater. It has been a great vehicle, but it is not a truck.

I am sort of glad that there are so many 6.0's on the road. That means that body parts for our trucks will be plentiful and cheap. A friend of mine converted a 6.0 truck to a 7.3 and loves it.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
yea its been over a year i've been looking for a crew cab i want, thought this was the one but it got away. So i guess ill look from time to time

Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Keep this website in your favorites. They have been in business for over 15years and they go out west to hand pick nice diesel trucks. That's all they sell. They have very nice trucks and their prices are in the upper middle range, not cheap, but not too high and they are small and family owned. Back before I got my truck in '07, my hobby was looking at diesels on line. These guys always piqued my interest. Something to keep an eye on if you were willing to travel to Nc. why not Va.?

Diesel Pickup Trucks for Sale (Used) in Leon, VA: 7.3 Ford Power Stroke, Dodge Cummins, Duramax

Old 11-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
The truck was priced to high. I believe that it is a 'good thing' that it 'got away'. There is the right truck for you out there at the right price. The day will come when you will turn around and one will fall in your lap.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:46 PM
ackdog
New User
Originally Posted by Brother Les
The truck was priced to high. I believe that it is a 'good thing' that it 'got away'. There is the right truck for you out there at the right price. The day will come when you will turn around and one will fall in your lap.
I agree, everything happens for a reason.

Keep an eye on this guys site as well, he has had some really nice trucks in the past. http://www.emautos.com/

Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
Originally Posted by Smokiesman
Scaler ! If your looking for a clean crew cab my buddy wants to sell this! 130k 99 F350 4x4. He wants $10500 !Can get more pics if you want!

Smokie

Wish I had the money! Early or Late 99?