Sponsored by: DP Tuner

buying a 03 and need some long term life advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:45 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
buying a 03 and need some long term life advice

been looking for over a year for the perfect crew cab long bed F350 with 7.3. I really want a 7.3/6 speed combo but cant find any so i found a 65k one owner crew looks to be in showroom quality from NC so no rust or salt issues. Now does the 03 have the trans issues with i think it was a diode? Does the 03 have the same issues like the 2000 crew cabs with the GEM going bad and having all sorts of no power windows etc etc? Also any other things the 03 trucks have i should know about?

Thanks in advance for the replies
mike

Old 11-12-2013, 09:46 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...ler_id=1362901

its the red 2003

heres a link, credit and all that went through im just waiting on more detailed photos of the truck, sending them pictures of my 04 for the trade in and tying to haggle down the price ALOT before i make the nine hour drive from NJ to NC

Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
No diode in the tranny, that was just some of the '01's, you are good there. There is no GEM in an '03, they have a little different module, the '02's were known for issues with. The '02-'03's have a little nicer (in my biased opinion) creature comforts. Upgraded sound deadening, better seats, newer dash. The only real downside to them is they have powdered metal rods, so if you mod it too much, north of 450HP seems to be the accepted number, you will be on borrowed time, but 400-450 or less and a good tuner and you are good. Most people say that as a DD that HP level is a lot of fun without too many headaches that going with big oil,a T4 turbo mount, all the headaches of head work, and filling the block etc, bring.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I paid less than that for my 2003 CC Lariat 4x4, heated seats, etc. with the identical mileage in May of 2007. Just for a reference. They need to come down off that price a decent amount if you ask me. I know low mileage 7.3's are rare, but it's still an 11 year old "outdated" truck.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Tact
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is my exact same truck. I love my truck and have owned it since new. That price is pretty high, even though it has 65K miles, IMO. I hope you can get them down from their asking price. However, it looks in great condition, as is mine. Is my truck worth this amount?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
29K !!What they be smokin?

Smokie

Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
thanks guys i talked to the salesmen about four times in the past two days and ever time i tell him, hey my credit went through with flying colors, ive sent you photos of my truck i have all documents of everything i ever did/bought for it (you know oil changes, plug cabes, fuel filters tires etc) im willing to drive NINE hours to get there early THIS FRIDAY MORNING and im like BUT you have to come down on the price. And the salesmen keeps saying the same thing well i have people here in NC looking but nobody can get the credit or they have payments on their trucks so i can wait untill i find someone here..... so i said well youve had the truck for almost three months sitting on the lot i want it even though it has leather which i do not want at all and ill be there friday morning and he keeps saying blah blah blah

Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Smokiesman
29K !!What they be smokin?

Smokie
yea i know im not going for that at all which i keep telling the dealer, i was thinking like 18 or 19?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:29 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HKusp
The only real downside to them is they have powdered metal rods, so if you mod it too much, north of 450HP seems to be the accepted number, you will be on borrowed time, but 400-450 or less and a good tuner and you are good. bring.

here are my plans, my dad has a 2000 F350 crew cab short bed with 4" MBRP and a crap Hypertech tuner he bought in 2002 and his truck the way it is has plenty of power for me. SO i plan just to do the fuel pick up with external filter on the frame, regulated return, oil cross over tube for the back of the heads the 6637 mod most likely stock exhaust with the muffler removed, TransGo HD shift kit with a .427 line mod and then a mild tune DP tuner and the correct gauge and call it done and drive this truck untill it completely quits in about thirty to forty years from now.......

Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Tact
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
yea i know im not going for that at all which i keep telling the dealer, i was thinking like 18 or 19?
That's more realistic. However, I've heard that these trucks in that kind of condition are fetching in the lower to mid $20's. That somewhat hard for me to believe though. I guess if I decide to sell mine I hope I find that this is true.....but I doubt it.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
and if the dealer doesnt drop the price i can do this my dad keeps saying he wants a new F150 so i can buy his 2000 F350 crew short bed with 155k BUT
things i dont like about it
1 short bed
2 no rear overload spring very odd for a F350?
3 no LS well i guess thats good cuz it would get a Detroit Locker or TrueTrac
4 one year ongoing no power windows working GEM i think but not sure
5 NJ winters with all this salt finally sank its fangs into the tailgate, bed supports and now rear wheel wells
6 no 4wd lever on the floor will not buy another truck with esof

Old 11-12-2013, 10:35 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
na my dad's been looking at new F150 and dealer trades are like 10kish here in NJ so i don't see how they are TRYING TO SELL THEM for 20 plus

Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"if it was me"

I would buy your dads.

Power windows: either the GEM or the drivers side window switch. If all other GEM functions are working I would lean toward switch, not gonna break the bank either way.

No rear overloads: My 2000 350 has never had them and it has never been a problem. Even with a full yard and a half of gravel in the bed it is not on the bump stops but air bags would be an easy installation.

NO LS in rear. I would go with an air locker but the trutrac is a nice unit. I have had a few daily drive detroits and never will again. Great rearend but it will defiantly puy hair on your chest in the ice.

Rotted out bed: late model takeoff. It may be hard to find a late model short bed takeoff but if you look long enough it will show up. Figure with paint, purchase and shipping to be in it less that $2K. I hear you about not wanting a short bed but I could live with one if the deal was right.

ESOF: I hear you there as well. I would swap in some manual hubs as we all know it is usually fails at the hubs...that being said I do like my T case lever.

All that being said, don't try to talk yourself or let anyone else talk you in to buying something you don't want. As you said you want to drive this thing for the next few decades so you really don't want to start out with buyers remorse. Get whatever truck rates highest on the "tickle your fancy" meter and you will have the highest probability of still liking it 600K down the road.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by clem1226
"if it was me"

I would buy your dads.

Power windows: either the GEM or the drivers side window switch. If all other GEM functions are working I would lean toward switch, not gonna break the bank either way.

No rear overloads: My 2000 350 has never had them and it has never been a problem. Even with a full yard and a half of gravel in the bed it is not on the bump stops but air bags would be an easy installation.

NO LS in rear. I would go with an air locker but the trutrac is a nice unit. I have had a few daily drive detroits and never will again. Great rearend but it will defiantly puy hair on your chest in the ice.

Rotted out bed: late model takeoff. It may be hard to find a late model short bed takeoff but if you look long enough it will show up. Figure with paint, purchase and shipping to be in it less that $2K. I hear you about not wanting a short bed but I could live with one if the deal was right.

ESOF: I hear you there as well. I would swap in some manual hubs as we all know it is usually fails at the hubs...that being said I do like my T case lever.

All that being said, don't try to talk yourself or let anyone else talk you in to buying something you don't want. As you said you want to drive this thing for the next few decades so you really don't want to start out with buyers remorse. Get whatever truck rates highest on the "tickle your fancy" meter and you will have the highest probability of still liking it 600K down the road.

well i already replaced the drivers master switch and it didnt fix the windows, and i pulled the GEM and there is no water damage or burnt spots so.....

i repaired a friends 99 long bed f250 this summer and im not in any mood to go through that again

like i said no floor shift 4x4 im not buying

i installed warn premiums on my dads because the stock auto hubs froze

and the red truck i found other than it having leather seats i like ever thing about it, i want a red crew long bed, and it has the lever 4x4 on the floor so its most likely mine if this salesmen makes a price drop

Quick Reply: buying a 03 and need some long term life advice