1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

off topic ... no F.R.E.D.'S !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:42 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
off topic ... no F.R.E.D.'S !!!!!

i have for awhile claimed i was going to dispose of my cell phone and laptop ..... well i did it !!!!!!!!!!!!! the account is closed out and i am free of the bain of humanity , the cell phone !!!!!!!! i kinda miss the laptop , but i still got this here home 'putor so ............. as a cdl driver in this state i can no longer use a cell period , not even with an ear roach / blue tooth device to what i understand ( i won't wear one anyway ! ) , and that's the only time i need it is at work really . so i geuss the boss , and the postal plant if they want me are gonna have to look at my schedule and try to figure out where i'm at and call the next stop and have them relay me a message if they want me !!!!!!!!!!! it actually feels good to be rid of that d@M^ thing !!!!!!!!!!!!! saves me 200 a month on mine and hers to boot !!!!!!!!!!!!!oh yeah fred stands for F-ING RIDICULOUS ELECTRONIC DEVICE .

Old 10-15-2013, 01:54 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Enjoy the 1980s

Old 10-15-2013, 02:52 PM
lowtrkn2k
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Enjoy the 1980s
Damn I wish I was back in the 80's right now, there are a few rides I would have held on too

And ya, I wish I could get rid of my cell and my computer then I could actually get a real day off

Old 10-15-2013, 04:02 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lowtrkn2k
Damn I wish I was back in the 80's right now, there are a few rides I would have held on too

And ya, I wish I could get rid of my cell and my computer then I could actually get a real day off
Amen Brother.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I won't be getting rid of my cell phone any time soon, especially considering we no longer have a land line in our house, I know all these time saving conveniences are neither.

I read a story a while back that discussed all of the new fangled devices we have gotten in the last 20-30 that were suppose to make our lives easier and haven't. The pushbutton phone was the first, it actually only saved a few seconds a call over the rotary phone. The pager and then the cell phone only made our lives more hectic. In the good old days if you were out of the office you did what you had to do, whether you were a tradesman or a salesman, and after you were done you'd call into the office to see if there was any other things you had to take care of. Up to that point you just concentrated on the task at hand. Now while you're trying to do one task you can have 2-3 or more people calling you wanting you to take care of their problems. I know this from experience. Also, back then you could always wait until the next day before dealing with a problem by using the excuse that you were out of the office all day and didn't know there was a situation until after you got back to the office. Now there's no way to avoid people, if you have a business you are a dinosaur if you don't have a cell phone, one that doesn't receive emails and text messages.

Computers are another PIA. I can't count how many times I have gone to do something on my computer and either the damn thing doesn't want to fire up and I've lost a bunch of work. Even if I have everything backed up I have wasted hours trying to get the beast working again and then more time retrieving backed up files, trying to retrieve lost programs that I have pay to get up and running again. I also can't count the times I've called a vendor who has a huge IT department and their computers are running slow or aren't working at all. It's usually "We just got this new computer system and it's not working." Every single time the reason they got a new system is because it's supposed to be better than the old one. I just think the IT guys have to make themselves valuable and if they don't screw with what is working the management might realize they aren't worth keeping around.

I wish I could get rid of these modern day monsters but that will never happen.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:36 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 55 f350
i have for awhile claimed i was going to dispose of my cell phone and laptop ..... well i did it !!!!!!!!!!!!! the account is closed out and i am free of the bain of humanity , the cell phone !!!!!!!! i kinda miss the laptop , but i still got this here home 'putor so ............. as a cdl driver in this state i can no longer use a cell period , not even with an ear roach / blue tooth device to what i understand ( i won't wear one anyway ! ) , and that's the only time i need it is at work really . so i geuss the boss , and the postal plant if they want me are gonna have to look at my schedule and try to figure out where i'm at and call the next stop and have them relay me a message if they want me !!!!!!!!!!! it actually feels good to be rid of that d@M^ thing !!!!!!!!!!!!! saves me 200 a month on mine and hers to boot !!!!!!!!!!!!!oh yeah fred stands for F-ING RIDICULOUS ELECTRONIC DEVICE .
I would suggest that you look into a 911 emergency phone, I paid about $50 for a phone and I don't have to sign up for the service or pay any kind of fee - I do have access to the 911 feature anytime - The phone came with an internal camera which is a bonus as I can take pictures of my ugly mug any time I want to. - If you didn't throw away your old phone it still should have access to 911 - Oh - I also get emergency weather/evacuation/hazmat type messages free - Free is good

Old 10-15-2013, 04:42 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I kicked my kids off my plan, cut back to the bare minimums. Cut my bill by $150 a month. I hate to see them spending $100 a month or more for "smartphones".

Dick, you should have gotten a Bammyphone!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:58 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I feel ya. We have one home laptop, and one cell phone that we never use. We carry it while on the road incase of breakdowns, and has unlimited everything for $45 a month. If somebody wants to talk, leave a message on our land line, and we will call ya back. Heck I can't see that little screen,plus. I got tired of learning the programming from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and part of the 2000s. Yes there was programming b4 the I chip, they used the binary code sent at a rediculusly slow speed caught by reed relays and stored in buffers made up of wire spring relays, etc, etc,etc., or was it connectors and selectors LOL. As you can see my brain is out of storage space, and my hard drive is on a floppy.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:21 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I kicked my kids off my plan, cut back to the bare minimums. Cut my bill by $150 a month. I hate to see them spending $100 a month or more for "smartphones".

Dick, you should have gotten a Bammyphone!
OK - What's a Bammyphone?

Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Oh, he should have said O'bammy phone.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by homade
Oh, he should have said O'bammy phone.
I thought it was a Barryphone. Made in Kenya as I understand it. But they don't work.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Back in the winter, I took my kids to the top of a big mountain a long way from my house. My friend drove my truck back off the mountain, and we planned on hiking about 5 miles back home through some REALLY remote, rough mountainous terrain. I quickly realized that I left my phone in my truck. So I got a good taste of the good ole "1980's" in the middle of absolute nowhere with small children. It was an eye opener. But we had a great time (and I took very special care to not get hurt because my kids probably would not have been able to find their way home). Reminded me of some big "walk-abouts" my dad used to take me on with no phone, nobody knowing where we were going, etc. a long time ago. And it reminded me of just how addicted we have become to our gadgets.

Have you guys seen this commercial yet. I think it's great, and it shows just how much things really have changed.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:25 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
well i may be stuck in the 80's , but like so many others it wouldn't be a bad thing as long as i knew then what i know now ..... dick getting one of those pay by the miute phones to take with me in my personal vehicles on trips , but that's the extent of it . i'm done with modern technology save for this 'putor , and i don't intend to go back !!!! personally i wouldn't have anything to do with anything Bammy related !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:04 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
My cell phone seems to work a little differently than most. First, it hardly rings, unlike the ones most people I know have. It seems no one can hold a real live person to person conversation without their phone going off interrupting our conversation for 5-10 minutes. When my phone does rings it's sure to be one of two things, someone wanting something or wants to complain about something. Second, my phone is on a one way system. It seems to only accepts incoming calls which I always answer but it seems no ever has their phone on when I call out even if I'm calling a person that just called me 2 seconds before.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
When my phone does rings it's sure to be one of two things, someone wanting something or wants to complain about something. Second, my phone is on a one way system. It seems to only accepts incoming calls which I always answer but it seems no ever has their phone on when I call out even if I'm calling a person that just called me 2 seconds before.
Amen! On both accounts. I'll tell you something else. When my "friends" call me at work, I either answer it if I'm not seeing a patient that very second, or I call them back when I find a free minute or two, usually within 20 minutes max. And I work with a rigid schedule seeing customers/patients all day long. But if I call those same friends during the day, they never answer their phone or call me back, or say things like "sorry, I was at work" when they call me back at 7:00 that night. I'm talking about people who work for themselves either as contractors, bankers, store keepers, office workers, deliverymen, etc. (i.e. people who no doubt work hard, but obviously CAN find the time to answer the phone or return a phone call, and they don't have a supervisor watching over them or looking at a "customer" all day long every second of the day). These SAME people get mad at me when I don't answer my phone or call them back immediately (and they always want something from me). On the other hand, my wife is a school teacher, and my dad is a coal miner. They usually don't have the luxury of answering a phone during the day. And I envy them for it.

Quick Reply: off topic ... no F.R.E.D.'S !!!!!